• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

KIWIZ vs England

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 8 2008, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You are allowed to have an opinion on the tournament. You're just being exceptionally disrespectful about it.[/b]
Im not being disrespectful,Im simply stating that League has its place but it isnt a sport that is able to showcase a world cup. Like I said its a very exciting game with lots of skill and great off loads but dont make out its a big worldwide sport, I mean most of the players in the celtic nations havent ventured out of Lancashire.

So referring to the Kiwis as "All Blacks rejects" and England as "players from the North West" isn't disrespectful?

I find it exceptionally disrespectful personally.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 9 2008, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So referring to the Kiwis as "All Blacks rejects" and England as "players from the North West" isn't disrespectful?

I find it exceptionally disrespectful personally.[/b]
What would you call them then!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 9 2008, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I find it exceptionally disrespectful personally.[/b]

I find this more factual than insultive. It is a bit like when people say rugby is a small sport that is played competitively amongst a few countries compared to a truly global sport like football. As much as I love rugby I have to agree that rugby is not as big as rugby people think it is....and that the All Blacks are no where near as big in the world as we kiwis would like to imagine it is. Fair to say a lot of other sports are not as global as their respective fans would think.

I think the Rugby League World Cup is very uneven and this one sided competition starts to bring up questions about whether a "World" ***le should be competed at an international level. Rugby League only dominates in two areas....Northern England and Sydney. Everywhere else the sport comes second or third or even worse it doesn't even register. NZ does not have a city that is exclusive Rugby League ruled territory...the game here is played in small pockets by enthusiasts. Australia has League competing with so many other sports and some places don't play League at all. Britain is football first and a whole heap of others sports second with League further down the list. France has League almost as an after thought.

I think Rugby League as a "world" competition should be competed where it is strong....at CLUB level...not international level. There should be a World Club Cup between the best clubs in the world with 4 clubs from Britain, 4 from Aussie, 3 from NZ, 2 from France, and 3 from the "rest of the world qualifiers". 4 pools of 4 with the top from each pool going into the the last 8 playoffs (quarter, semi, final style). This World Club Cup would generate more interest for the game for TV viewers and I think it is a better way for the game to grow. It should be held within a smaller cycle (TWO OR THREE YEARS MAX). I am not saying international matches should be discontinued, there will still be test matches in the year. I am just saying that making a World Cup for them is not feasible at the moment because the level of competition at the international level is not as even as the level of competition at club level.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Nov 8 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What would you call them then![/b]

Just because snobs like you still try and ostracise the sport doesn't mean it's not played outside the North West. There are teams in Yorkshire, London, Wales and France.

As for the Kiwis - I don't know, I'm not from New Zealand. But people like you who try and marginalise the sport really, really get on my wick. Get some knowledge of the sport before you try and talk about it.

**** poor.... AGAIN!

Despite my pre tournament worries about our backs (or rather lack of them) I still had such high hopes that we would see good performances from England but we have yet to see one!

Higham MOM by a mile for us yesterday and he's just an headless chicken who can't pass unless it's forward (kind of important when you're a hooker!) which just goes to show how poor we really are or at least have been so far. We have no kicking game, we lack pace in the backs (compare our back three with their Union counterparts yesterday and not only are we lagging behind the Aussies we are also lagging behind the other code in that respect) and we don't have a single halfback who can actually control a game.
When you look at our team on paper it doesn't look too bad until you realise that far too many of them are only in the team because there simply isn't any one else to play there.

I'm starting to question Smith's game plan or apparent lack of one apart from 'stand under the posts a lot'. Higham should never have been taken off yesterday when he actually had the Kiwis on the back foot and why oh why was Burrows playing hooker leaving the worst worst halfback combination in the world ever of Gleeson & Sinfield? Idiotic.

Hopefully next week we'll see both Roby & Higham in the 17 and it'd be nice to see Hock actually on the field for a reasonable amount of time because he's being criminally under-used at the moment and at some point England are going to have to do something different if they genuinely are to have any hope of turning this crap around and only Pryce, McGuire & Hock have the ability to actually pull something out of the hat.

Congrats to the Kiwis though on a good comeback. I thought you looked very, very good at times and fully deserved the win.

That diving twat Luke needs a bloody good kicking next week though! :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Nov 8 2008, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 8 2008, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are allowed to have an opinion on the tournament. You're just being exceptionally disrespectful about it.[/b]
Im not being disrespectful,Im simply stating that League has its place but it isnt a sport that is able to showcase a world cup. Like I said its a very exciting game with lots of skill and great off loads but dont make out its a big worldwide sport, I mean most of the players in the celtic nations havent ventured out of Lancashire.
[/b][/quote]

You forgot Yorkshire and Cumbria ;)

The only way RL can grow internationally is to hold regular comps and a World Cup is a good way to do it.
Like the vast majority of League fans I know our game has massive shortcomings internationally but that doesn't mean we should just be 'happy with our lot' and exist only in the heartlands.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Nov 8 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The New Zealand union rejects narrowly beat a tiny part of north west England in a pretend world cup that Australia(the only country where there is a decent league and structure)will win without breaking into a sweat. That isnt sporting competition its a f***ing coronation,again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

Whilst the Roos are by far the best team around they are still beatable. This has been shown plenty of times over the years not least when they got dicked by the Kiwis in the Tri Nations final a couple of years back.
I still think they are extremely beatable up front but time and time again the sheer brilliance of their backs and in particular Lockyer gets them out of any holes they occasionally find themselves in BUT from time to time they do get turned over and whilst they are overwhelming favourites it's still not a guarantee.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Nov 9 2008, 02:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How could England get done by the same move 4 times (Vatuvei tries) I will never know...[/b]

Because the Superleague is 5 years behind the times, the NRL figured out how to stop the move yonks ago.

I think it's more to do with Paul Skyes not being up to international rugby, myself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 11 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think it's more to do with Paul Skyes not being up to international rugby, myself.[/b]

In total agreement, Sykes should be cut from the team IMHO. I mostly blame the management for England's poor world cup performance so far, also if the NRL is 5 years in front of the SL, why is it that the World Club Challenge has been won by an English team for 5 years in a row? :lol:

lets get our boys home after tomorrow so we dont have to be thrashed by the Aussies next week. Get them home to the comforts of Super League where they can ply their trade at a suitable level.

Bet you're not on the wind up again are you? One more like that and I'm banning you from the league section.

Look, I want us to win as much as anyone else but the only way to improve is to be honest with where we are. Stop making out this tournament is played out on a level playing field and accept that our performances have been a fair reflection of our current standing. Im not out to wind you up I just think you ar seeing things as you want them to be not how they are.

You ARE doing it to wind me up. The fact you've never so much as posted in the league section before is proof of that, yet suddenly you're an expert on the world cup, NRL and even Super League.

You know NOTHING about rugby league. I keep out of the union section because I know nothing - extend the same courtesy.

so I dont know anything about League? Ive been to watch games at Bradford,Widnes,Wigan and Wembley(many times). supported Great Britain since the days of Hanley and Schofield and even played a bit of amature stuff during my playing career. The fact that my main interest is union doesnt mean I cant post on League. Your small minded attitude is a big reason League is struggling to capture the general publics attention the way union does. Take of your blinkers and let everyone have their say, otherwise it might as well have its own forum. League should be for all not just Northerners.

I don't give a monkeys about how much rugby league you've watched. You know nothing about the sport as your repeatedly ill informed comments attest. And you know NOTHING about me - how dare you stand on a pedestal and have a go at me?

If I am small minded, explain why I have been to union games, and going to another one in January? Explain why I can name at least five people off this forum who I have taken to league games with me and who know follow my team and the sport as a whole. Explain why I have coached rugby league in places where it's not a popular sport. Explain why I have done work in the RFL for other communities.

This ridiculous personal attack on me is yet another wind up. I am banning you from the rugby league section. I don't care what people think of the World Cup, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, people have a right to their say, but if you can't put your views across in a mature fashion, which is what TRF is all about, then you will be kicked off that section of the board.