• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England

Bloody hell England!! Turn up and f#cking play for once in your god damned lives! While I must admit that I enjoy watching England lose as much as the next guy, in Rugby League it's a different matter... Sure I want us to win, but I want England to make us bloody earn it! I want aussies organising big drinks nights to watch Aus V England tests because the poms are always keen on giving us hell.
It seems as though England are almost affraid of the kangaroos... they really looked dangerous for a while there early on, but they just couldn't punch through the defence and when Aus countered it was like they packed it in and decided it was impossible. I mean, you've got a big budget and tough competition in the super league and manage to win the bloody world club challenge every year, so why bring some of that brilliance to the international scene?

Absolutely pathetic, to concerning levels. We gave them a 12 point lead (ably helped by Tony Archer, you don't need someone missing a blatant knock on on the first tackle) and it looked like it was going to be a another surrender. We briefly rallied, Roby fending off 5 men to score, but Sinfield, in his only action all game, missed the kick at goal.

We got another rough decision from Archer before half time when he gave a drop out instead of a 20 metre restart (Wilkin may have touched it, don't think he did, but Wellens wasn't to know he was stood 35 yards away, how was he to know?) but the defending was shambolic. The game was over by half time. Poor refereeing from a poor referee, but that wasn't anything to do with the result, I'm sure the Aussies would have got another 12 points if they'd been disallowed anyway.

The second half is about as humiliating as it gets, it was nothing more than a miserable surrender. The Aussies played well (although Billy Slater is a c**t for reacting to Calderwood for having the cheek to try and tackle him, arrogant ******) but we never gave them approaching a challenge. Not at all. We have played so well since 2002 against Australia, beating them 3 or 4 times, once in their own back yard, but the game in 2002 wasn't even half as embarassing as this.

It looks to me like the players and coaching staff decided to see how the first half an hour went and take it from there. If we were in the game then, see it out to half time nd have a go second half. If not, write the game off and regroup. Because "we can't beat the Aussies twice." ********. Anyone can beat anyone in a game if you put your all into it. We wrote that game off today, and that is just pathetic.

I am absolutely FURIOUS. Nothing more, nothing less. Fair play to Australia, who played some great rugby league, but I'm afraid we didn't give you a game today. We're pooling all our efforts into that semi final match. A very dangerous game indeed. Don't be surprised if we bend over, touch our toes and take it up the chocolate starfish next week against the Kiwis either.

Another early plane home beckons.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 2 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to any other team than Australia? Last week you were bagging NZ, now you happen to be playing England so now they're in the line of fire?[/b]

No, he's just everything I hate about Australian rugby league and some more.

The other Aussie lads on the forum have taken the win well without any sign of arrogance, superiority or trash talking. Unfortunately, Benny Fishen seems determined to swear, curse and insult his way to the World Cup final.

Before the game even started I knew Australia would win, the league is much more popular with them than England and they got better players. But good God that was horrible, the first 5 minutes decided it, they came out and hit England right in the mouth and got no answer.

Saw the highlights on BB2 yesterday, damn, those Aussies were good.
England also had a decent strikerline but couldn't find any hole in the Oz defence.

Looking forward to the next game.

ha and most English fans thought they were gonna win!

I love watching Greg Inglis in the centres. How he recovered and passed to Billy was awesome, then even better to score after the kickoff.

Is the upcoming game between NZ and England pointless? I mean both teams will still play each other in the semis presuming Australia beat PNG?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 3 2008, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is the upcoming game between NZ and England pointless? I mean both teams will still play each other in the semis presuming Australia beat PNG?[/b]

In terms of having already made it to the semi (Unless PNG pull off the shock of all time!) then in a way... Yes, it is but both teams will be looking to lay down some kind of advantage going into the semi.

England need to find some aggression and physically challenge the Kiwis IMO. England have played like a bunch of fairies in the first two games with no sign of aggression at all.... Time to fire up, bring back the biff and hopefully play with some bloody passion!

Yeah, pointless perhaps, but it should also be pretty close considering they both got thumped well and truly by Australia. Will be interesting in terms of seeing who can bounce back the most.

That game will probably be an experiment game for both teams....they have to decide on whether they should put on their weakest lineup and not give secrets away...OR....put on their strongest lineup to try and build momentum.  If I were the Kiwi coach I would put on the best lineup...the more time the top side is together the better....it may give away the secrets and be risky going into the semi but again if they are not good enough to win a tough semi where their revelaed game plan has already been seen and is being tested, then they are not good enough to win the final.  No point playing safe now just to win a semi by ambushing, only to lose in the final because the gameplan was never pushed as far as it could be. 

Yeah, and there's also the pyschological advantage to look at. If you play your cards too close to your chest and your team cops another thrashing, then morale will be truly gone and that probably means team cohesion as well.

If England lose against NZ I feel they will lose again in the semis, you cannot bounce back from a dodgy win against PNG, thumping by Aus, loss against the Kiwis.