• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England

S

St Helens RLFC

Well, this is the biggest game of the tournament so far for me on a personal note. There's nothing more pleasure in international rugby league than beating the arrogant Kangaroos, but its going to take a special effort from England to win on Sunday.

England are without Lee Smith and replace him with Calderwood, and we will need a massive improvement from the performance against PNG.

Australia lost Kurt Gidley for the rest of the tournament last week and will have to make a few changes.

I can only see Australia winning the match but it will be a very, very tight game I think. COME ON ENGLAND.

Kurt Gidley isn't a massive loss, I dont think hes that great coming off the bench as a utility. Karmichael Hunt comes in! Great to see, hopefully he takes over Thug Slater in fullback.

Dunno who will win, England look promising, bits of the Australian team I'm still not sure on.. hopefully Thurston has another blinder.

England's scrambling defence against PNG was a great concern to me. We might not get away with it so much against the Aussies.

if aus play like they did against the kiwis england will have to play very well to not end up in a similar fate as the kiwis. these games are why we watch league to see the big heavyweights clash against each other. england need to improve from their effort against png which was very slack at times letting in some soft tries. should hopefully be a cracker of a game and maybe even a close one too!.

Here are the teamsheets for the big clash tonight.

Billy Slater 1 Paul Wellens
Joel Monaghan 2 Ade Gardner
Greg Inglis 3 Martin Gleeson
Israel Folau 4 Keith Senior
Brent Tate 5 Lee Smith
Darren Lockyer © 6 Leon Pryce
Johnathan Thurston 7 Rob Burrow
Petero Civoniceva 8 Jamie Peacock ©
Cameron Smith 9 James Roby
Steve Price 10 James Graham
Glenn Stewart 11 Gareth Hock
Anthony Laffranchi 12 Gareth Ellis
Paul Gallen 13 Kevin Sinfield

INTERCHANGE
Brent Kite 14 Danny McGurie
Josh Perry 15 Maurie Fa’asavalu
Anthony Tupou 16 Adrian Morley
Karmichael Hunt 17 Jon Wilkin

I'm interested to see how Burrow plays against us.

also of interest will be the performance of gareth ellis since he's going to be playing in the nrl next year for the west tigers.

2 quality lineups there but I think aus have the edge in the halves and in the centres which should be enough to get them home. england have a very good looking pack and some great impact off the bench but they will have to work hard to get ontop for their halves to create enough chances for the victory. if both teams play well it should be a very close game. I think aus will win though they are in good form and at home they are looking almost unstoppable.

Come on England!

After that France flop to a team that probably had to borrow money for airfares and accomodation...the European sides need to stake a claim in this tournament for the sake of their respective tournaments up north. If England don't keep this game close then they are in danger of being a team who may have no show against the Kiwis in the semi final and thus have a possibility of losing to one of the top island nations in the playoff for third and fourth. England need to show they have the goods to utilise the talent they have.

This comp needs the second and third place teams to be competitive...we don't want the Aussies all by themselves at the top with the Kiwis alone in second...and England, PNG, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji as the third tier nations. That scenario is too predictable when it comes to finding out who is the winner. England need to stand up tonight for the sake of the entire comp...well even the entire future of international Rugby League. NZ is struggling to foot it with the Aussies and if no one else stands up then the Aussies might as well take the copyright for the game for good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 1 2008, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, this is the biggest game of the tournament so far for me on a personal note. There's nothing more pleasure in international rugby league than beating the arrogant Kangaroos, but its going to take a special effort from England to win on Sunday.

I can only see Australia winning the match but it will be a very, very tight game I think. COME ON ENGLAND.[/b]

I am begining to get ****** of with you poms calling Australians "arrogant" there isn't another nation in the world that is half as arrogant as the poms when they have won "anything" you only have to look at the current reactions from England regarding their cyclists,12months ago you didn't see a mention about their cyclists,now having dominated the Olympics,it has become the top sport in the world,god knows how much space it will be given now they are dominating at Manchester.
Wouldn't you shower of **** be arrogant if you had never lost to Australia in RL since 1972??..because thatwas the last time you won a world cup at Rugby League and the way the New Zealanders and Papua-New guinea are shaping up these days it will be the year 2072 before you MIGHT win it again...you are definately not No2 in the world today,your packs are great big lumbering elephants that play a style of Rugby that was prevalent 30 years ago,personally I wouldn't cross the road to see the English play....FOR CHRIST SAKE STOP WHINGING and accept that you are lowly ranked New Zealand have become our major concern nowadays,you lot just DON'T COUNT.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 2 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Come on England!

After that France flop to a team that probably had to borrow money for airfares and accomodation...the European sides need to stake a claim in this tournament for the sake of their respective tournaments up north. If England don't keep this game close then they are in danger of being a team who may have no show against the Kiwis in the semi final and thus have a possibility of losing to one of the top island nations in the playoff for third and fourth. England need to show they have the goods to utilise the talent they have.

This comp needs the second and third place teams to be competitive...we don't want the Aussies all by themselves at the top with the Kiwis alone in second...and England, PNG, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji as the third tier nations. That scenario is too predictable when it comes to finding out who is the winner. England need to stand up tonight for the sake of the entire comp...well even the entire future of international Rugby League. NZ is struggling to foot it with the Aussies and if no one else stands up then the Aussies might as well take the copyright for the game for good.[/b]

Anotherwhinging pom...are you trying to say that now England are longer No2 in the the world that the Game will go downhill??this is the best thing that could have happened for the good of RL.they are a team of lumbering carthorses,and I have no doubt that they will get a hammering tonight from the Aussies

Just had a PM from GDay in Queensland asking me if I am a pom/// you insulting bugger...you also asked about my avatar being a English cricket emblem...just look closely at the avatar,it shows three RABBITS and the emblem for Bradford Bulls,well I like rugby so much I adopted them as my Englsish team,....for what it's worth.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bennyfishel @ Nov 2 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 2 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Come on England!

This comp needs the second and third place teams to be competitive...we don't want the Aussies all by themselves at the top with the Kiwis alone in second...and England, PNG, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji as the third tier nations. That scenario is too predictable when it comes to finding out who is the winner. England need to stand up tonight for the sake of the entire comp...well even the entire future of international Rugby League. NZ is struggling to foot it with the Aussies and if no one else stands up then the Aussies might as well take the copyright for the game for good.[/b]

Anotherwhinging pom...are you trying to say that now England are longer No2 in the the world that the Game will go downhill??this is the best thing that could have happened for the good of RL.they are a team of lumbering carthorses,and I have no doubt that they will get a hammering tonight from the Aussies

[/b][/quote]
Lol I am not a Pom!

Yes if England do not show they are number two or three or God forbid four in the world then the game will go downhill. England need to show they are a powerhouse of Rugby League...especially after a bunch of Fijian amateurs who would struggle against the lowest ranked NRL side thrashed the French. I actually believe the Aussies will get more than 40 over England and maybe even threaten the 60 mark. However I am hoping the English will prove me wrong for the sake of this competition and for the sake of league worldwide.

12-0 to Australia and they haven't warmed up yet :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Yep....getting past 40 looks like a real possibility now. 50 is on the cards actually. It is whether they will get in the late 60's that is the challenge.

What's the point of a RL World Cup, really ? They should just give it to Australia, it would spare everybody's time and money.

what a carve up 52-4 to aus. england a lot of work to do before they face new zealand. england not playing well and I think the kiwis have a good chance of beating them based on current form. they both lost heavily to aus but the kiwis looked much improved against png the other night while england have possibly gone backwards.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bennyfishel @ Nov 2 2008, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just had a PM from GDay in Queensland asking me if I am a pom/// you insulting bugger...you also asked about my avatar being a English cricket emblem...just look closely at the avatar,it shows three RABBITS and the emblem for Bradford Bulls,well I like rugby so much I adopted them as my Englsish team,....for what it's worth.[/b]

Do you have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to any other team than Australia? Last week you were bagging NZ, now you happen to be playing England so now they're in the line of fire?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bennyfishel @ Nov 2 2008, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just had a PM from GDay in Queensland asking me if I am a pom/// you insulting bugger...you also asked about my avatar being a English cricket emblem...just look closely at the avatar,it shows three RABBITS and the emblem for Bradford Bulls,well I like rugby so much I adopted them as my Englsish team,....for what it's worth.[/b]

stop calling it rugby.... are you american or something....