Ireland vs Japan KO: 13:00 06/11/2021 Aviva Stadium

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
IRELAND (possible) v Japan: H Keenan; A Conway, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Lowe; J Sexton, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, R Kelleher, T Furlong; J Ryan, T Beirne; C Doris, J van der Flier, J Conan.

Replacements: D Sheehan or R Herring, C Healy or D Kilcoyne, F Bealham or Healy, I Henderson, P O'Mahony, C Murray, J Carbery, K Earls.

Thornley's team. I think it is likely, rightly or wrongly, that the Irish management views Japan as a bigger threat than the Irish fans. They also seem to want to use this as a warm up for NZ. I do think we could still do that with a few changes but I do think it's likely that one of them at least, Baloucoune, isn't fully fit.

Will hold outrage for the actual team.

Last edited:
Think Lowe and JGP would be pretty lucky to start all things considered. Can't even remember what Conway's form is like these days. Can envisage a world where Earls comes on at 13 because he's played a few times there for Munster, which is..... worrying. Would be positive to see Kelleher start and Sheehan potentially on the bench would be cool, but I imagine it will be Herring. Interested to see how the Furlong Porter axis goes. Could potentially be a huge weapon against the Japanese.

All in all though, team is graaaand. No Coombes though so Farrell can go **** himself the despicable piece of ****!!!!! I will ******* KILL you

Why do the Irish not really view Japan as a big threat still?
Don't make me post the 2019 highlights
I'll ask the equivalent question in the build up to England v Scotland next year!

I think it's more that we need to rotate and get a few guys significant test minutes and autumn is generally the best time to do it. But Argentina is definitely the time to do it, we saw that you don't want to face NZ cold on Saturday there.

Interesting to see Henderson potentially benching, I'd probably have him nailed on. Although potentially he is less needed against a lighter team like Japan. I would've liked to see a few more lads tried out in this team. Few starts being shared around at the halfback positions would be helpful. Not many games left before the world cup and already fairly confident Farrell will see us careen out in our usual stage.

A terrible selection if true.

Front row. - Herring is good but Kelleher is better and should be bedded in there. Props (If Furlong and Porter) no issues. Healy and Kilcoyne off the bench and that is superb carries. Would like to see Sheehan too but meh.

2nd row. 3 lads are good but again off the bench a guy like Baird would be great.

Backrow - No issues with the starting backrow. All worthy but Coombes should be in the mix at least off the bench. POM has been ok but not great.

9 - JGP is the worst option of all available and shouldn't be there.

10 - Sexton is frail and on wrong side of age. BUT again the jersey is there to be taken and he only 2 who have put in decent URC shifts are Carty and Ben Healy. Not saying either deserve to be in squad but more sign is despite all Sexton's issues he still is ahead by a bit.

12/13 - Was there ever going to be another choice once Henshaw was gone. Only lad who could get in was Frawley at 12 which would be interesting to see how it goes.

15 - Started here first as Keenan earned shirt and despite some saying Zebo maybe - No Keenan earned it and if he went down Mike Haley would be my next choice on form.

11/14 - Now will start here. Zebo has been our best winger by a bit. Earls has been playing centre with mixed performances. Conway the same. Lowe is not good enough either. These selections baffle me. Baloucoune or even Adam Byrne I think should be coming in.

Ireland Team & Replacements (v Japan, Autumn Nations Series, Saturday, November 6, 1 pm)

15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 13 caps

14. Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 25 caps

13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 34 caps

12. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 31 caps

11. James Lowe (Leinster) 6 caps

10. Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary's College) 99 caps CAPTAIN

9. Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 10 caps

1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps

2. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 13 caps

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 49 caps

4. Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 22 caps

5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 37 caps

6. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary's College) 9 caps

7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 32 caps

8. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 20 caps

Replacements

16. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne)*

17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 109 caps

18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 16 caps

19. Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 63 caps

20. Peter O'Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 76 caps

21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 89 caps

22. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 24 caps

23. Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 93 caps

*denotes uncapped player

Sexton to lose on his 100th cap

GIF by FOX International Channels

I'll ask the equivalent question in the build up to England v Scotland next year!

I think it's more that we need to rotate and get a few guys significant test minutes and autumn is generally the best time to do it. But Argentina is definitely the time to do it, we saw that you don't want to face NZ cold on Saturday there.

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

They've a fella called Dylan Riley on the wing. Supposedly South African, but clearly an Irish sleeper agent. Also took me way too long to realise that the Japan #5 doesn't have little pigtails

Don't have any massive problems with the team. Love the pack, it's athletic, full or guys who can carry, link and force turnovers. The right decisions have been made at the hooker spots

Not mad on the wings. They're both fine players who can be useful but I think there's better players around. Would have like Larmour to at least be in the 23. If he is fit Baloucoune should be the starter. POM does little for me in this 23. I imagine it's to help Sheehan when he comes on but there's enough line out quality there that I don't think it's necessary. Would have been a good opportunity to see how Coombes gets on against a fast paced international side.

Farrell really hasn't a clue when it comes to his scrum halves. No complaints otherwise, presuming Balacoune is unavailable. Think Earls and Pom are more start or don't play guys though.

Three starters who aren't Leinster players, two of whom are Leinster lads. Imagine having Leinster genetics and not being a pro rugby player, I'd be so embarrassed.

Latest posts