• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

IRB rankings and RWC 2015 pool draws

Will Wales be forced into a shorter turn around on games being the third seed? That could be a deciding factor

In "pool D" I see big a oportunity for America 1 to seek for that 3rd place and clinch to directly to RWC 2019.
Both Americas 1 and Americas 2 have a unique opportunity to qualify for 2019.

Rumours suggest that Japan will automatically qualify for RWC 2019 as hosts, so the team in the third band ranked 12th in the rankings may miss out on automatically qualifying. It also means that Hong Kong or South Korea will likely make their World Cup debuts as Asia 1.

Pool A's going to end in tears for someone - Arguably It could be any of those three. Suppose it will make for some exciting stuff - Just wish we weren't part of it :D

Yeah with Wales in band 3 they were always going to ensure something of a PoD. Fact that it's England from band 2 makes it HUGE though. Fiji also a bit of a dark horse from band 4. Interesting pool. SA's draw is nice enough; we SHOULD go through but Samoa and Scotland will both be big enough tests and I've always wanted to see us against an ever improving Japan.
I didn't realize Scotland can finish at bottom of their pool.

Yeah with Wales in band 3 they were always going to ensure something of a PoD. Fact that it's England from band 2 makes it HUGE though. Fiji also a bit of a dark horse from band 4. Interesting pool. SA's draw is nice enough; we SHOULD go through but Samoa and Scotland will both be big enough tests and I've always wanted to see us against an ever improving Japan.

Have we ever played against the Japs??

that would be very interesting game indeed.

As for the match-ups, I'd like to see a SH ref when 2 SH teams play against each other, and the same for NH teams. just to keep it more interesting in the pool stages.

Just remember yoe, we beat Australia last year in the RWC, we drew with you in France last year and the year before we outscored you 3 tries to 1. Walk in the park? Right, we'll see this six nations.

Wish we had NZ in our group to avoid them in the quarters.

Happy enough with the draw we'll securing top place will be even more important this time around. Never did I think someone would call us a walk in the park. The level of support for some countries at this world cup will be ridiculous.

I don't know the Georgia is as automatic this time around. If they don't have a full strength squad in qualifications they could slip up once or twice. Spain is on the up and I would call them my darkhorse in Europe. Romania have a new coach and always seem to have a solid pack. Portugal came out of the tough South American tour with 2 wins. And Russia surely will be in the mix although their recent results aren't too encouraging.
trust me mait its gonna be a walk in the park for Georgia.. there is no alternative for eu1 easier than ever i would say..

the coaches said that they will not BS with experiments on wc qualifiers so we should expect us playing like we play for real not like these test games.

Last edited:
A lot of discussion about America's #1 being harder than America's #2. I think it's in the wash a little myself, comparing the two pools, the America's teams could be drawn against.

France or South Africa. Advantage for the team finishing America's #1, France have historically underperformed in the pool stages, probably the best team to draw out of all the Band 1 sides.

Ireland or Samoa. On current form a bit of a toss up, if Samoa are as good as or better in three years time I think Canada would match up against them poorly. However if Samoa have peaked this could be an advantage for America's #2

Italy or Scotland. As of now an advantage for America's #2 but Italy are an aging side will they have the depth to play three hard matches if older players need to be rested. If Canada and the States stabilize the scrum than Italy might be the easier opponent. Scotland are also likely to have a ton of fan support at the game.

Japan or Europe 2(Any of Romania, Spain, Portugal or Russia....unlikely but possibly Georgia). Barring Georgia not getting Europe 1 and being here, there is no question I'd rather face Europe 2. Japan has Canada's number and always tanks earlier matches so they can try and beat us. I think we match up well with all the Iberian and Eastern Europe sides excpet against Georgia's scrum. Romania's pack is also good but I think that woukld be negated by Canada's massive advantage everywhere else. Advantage America's #1

Intangibles: Finishing America's #1 also means avoiding a home and away vs. Uruguay(or Chile). Also means higher quality opponents in November. While Canada/USA would likely beat the South American side, if something goes wrong it's a disaster as Pool A is a nightmare.

Crazy 3 teams that could win the World Cup in one pool!! I'm thinking it would of been good for kurtly to have not scored that try right about now haha :D but whoever wins pool A will be on the easy side of the finals. I really hope we don't have to beat Wales at home but we should manage. I don't see fijji as much of a threat to the top 3 teams just look at what South Africa did to them at the last World Cup also just thinking the last two World Cup finals were rematches of there pool game would not surprise me at all if this was the case with the wallabies and England.

Just remember yoe, we beat Australia last year in the RWC, we drew with you in France last year and the year before we outscored you 3 tries to 1. Walk in the park? Right, we'll see this six nations.

Wish we had NZ in our group to avoid them in the quarters.

naaaaaahhh c'mon !! Don't take it like that !!! ohhhh...
I just meant to emphasize on that historical fact that it's never been close in the RWC, and we've met quite a few times now...
I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland got this, but I would have a tendency to lean for France tbh.

France or South Africa. Advantage for the team finishing America's #1, France have historically underperformed in the pool stages, probably the best team to draw out of all the Band 1 sides.

wth is that, some "France is inconsistent" oriented bias again ?! ^_^
What, you mean that losing to an excellent ARG side in '07 that beat us again in the bronze match - losing to Tonga that one time in '11 - are enough to state that ?!

From '87 to 2003 it's been non-stop victories (except that 20-20 with SCO in the first or second), and mostly large ones. Especially 2003, I mean our performance was so good a bunch of ppl thought we were favorites even...of course, it didn't quite turn out too good for us !! :p

But that statement is wrong though. You can't say that: "France have historically underperformed in the pool stages".
We fked up in 2011 against Tonga, yeah okay...but historically is a HUGE word !!

* SA and NZ got it EAAAAAAAASY relatively to how great they are !! Argentina NZ should be awesome to watch...and SAF SAM again ! It was TOUGH last time out, ay SA ?!

EDIT: just read big ginger's post. I'm not all that serious guys, this is a rugby forum not an H.P. Lovecraft study blog !! I mean, love both, but EY !!
Ireland's not a "walk in the park", okay !! They're a good team, I mean we all know that !! AND I LOVE IRELAND FFS I'VE REPEATED IT A MILLION TIMES ALREADEHH !!! The country, the ppl AND the rugby team. All 3 in unrelated ways even.

It's just as soon as I saw Ireland in the pools it went *DING* in my head and I thought "ALRIGHT !! Ireland !..."
we're kind of your 'bete noire', like England for us...I mean c'mon it's not like you didn't go "aw ****, France !" looking at history so far...
of course the past is the past, and we ought to look at both sides today only...I know.

Last edited:
Pool A...wow. Whoever makes it out alive will be better for it I reckon. France is lucky not to land Tonga or Samoa in their pool.

Why do the same teams go in the same pools all the time. I swear we always get paired with Tonga and SA always get paired with Samoa. Pool A, wow there is going to be one major casualty there.

Will Wales be forced into a shorter turn around on games being the third seed? That could be a deciding factor

I thought the IRB were changing it so that everybody had one shorter week.

It's all a ploy. Lose to the Aussies half a dozen times, make them feel strong. NZ threw the England match so England build up confidence.
Robert Howley is a genius.

Pool A...wow. Whoever makes it out alive will be better for it I reckon. France is lucky not to land Tonga or Samoa in their pool.

...hmmm, and NZ is lucky not to land England in theirs. :D

...hmmm, and NZ is lucky not to land England in theirs. :D
lol pick you to twitch react with a comment like that! :lol:

Was nothing in that mate, just France in WCs - (or rather more fairly; Tonga/Samoa in WCs are world beaters, especially Samoa.

From an Ireland point of view I'm happy enough. We have to beat France though to avoid NZ. Irish players have a mental blockage when playing France. They ALWAYS underperform and last season threw away a good chance of a win. I expect Ireland to be stronger in 3 years time in terms of players and hopefully in terms of a new coaching team.

3 years is a long time away in rugby terms. There will be changes by then. For instance Fiji might be a harder opposition if they get their players together.

Its a nightmare draw for Australia but any one of Wales, Australia and England might go crashing out in the pool stages. Wales are capable of beating England and Australia so who knows what can happen.

NZ must be the happiest team with their draw. Argentina will make a bit of progress in the rugby championship but that'll only improve them to a certain point. Italy joining the 6 nations improved them in terms of being competitive but they have not kicked on because they don't have the players to.

The Boks will be happy with their group but Samoa and Scotland will be two physically tough games. I think the Scots will come second in that.

AGAIN: just kidding ?

HEY FORUM: I LIKE TO JOKE. Too many guys take themselves WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY too seriously on here !!! Like WOOOOOOOWWWWWWW !!!!!!!
right...ahem.

No but srs, wouldn't it be funny if NZ had England in their pool ?! well not really because they'll meet up before anyways probably but...meh !
I agree though (without hurting anybody's feelings hopefully !!) that France got away with much better than it could've been. Now, we can lose against Ireland, sure; but I mean at least we don't get England or Argentina or like you said Samoa...and it's true even the no.3 seed in our group is relatively containable.

Like, say what you want about how beastly Ireland is and all, but I say, OBJECTIVELY WITHOUT ANY SPITE AT ALL - I say I feel relatively safe with this group. It's not completely risk-less, but I'll live with that is what I'm saying, yes.
I mean, just one look at Pool A and yeah, I'm glad we've got this group, yes I am !! :p

If you guys lose to Ireland and we top our pool then the quarter final will probably be NZ vs France at the Millennium.

Latest posts