• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2027 - Expanded to 24 teams

The Romanian team was very aligned with the military at the time so they had some very physical fit guys playing. Shame they couldnt continue it on.
Probably the first professional national team (or at least, the most "professional")

Spain need to make sure their off field eligibility issues are squeeky clean! Twice now theyve missed out on a World Cup due to ineligible players.
Yeah, I was going to say the same - Romania, and IIRC Portugal have both had issues here as well. Hopefully all have learned their lesson, and ask for evidence before selecting someone, rather than just taking them at their word.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say the same - Romania, and IIRC Portugal have both had issues here as well. Hopefully all have learned their lesson, and ask for evidence before selecting someone, rather than just taking them at their word.
If my memory is right WT, i think Spain were qualified but then disqualified because 1 player was ineligible (South African i believe) and he'd only played about 1 half of a game. They'd have been better playing one of their U23 props!

If my memory is right WT, i think Spain were qualified but then disqualified because 1 player was ineligible (South African i believe) and he'd only played about 1 half of a game. They'd have been better playing one of their U23 props!
Spain's qualifying campaigns never fail to produce comedy. I seem to remember their players attacking a ref during 2019 qualifying which should have disqualified them on the spot. Instead World Rugby and Rugby Europe found the ref was "compromised" (paid off apparently) so arranged a playoff between Spain and Portugal.

Then of course they were officially disqualified for fielding ineligible players lol.

Latest posts