• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France v Scotland

Totally agree about Batereaud. Was at Murrayfield for last years thrashing when I had involuntarily strarted to hide behind my hands whenever he got the ball. He is completely out of favour with Lievremont at the moment and I dont know why, but equally I am delighted about it so I don't care. He's not even on the bench! I am more concerned about the pairing of mermoz and Rougerie at 12 and 13. The experience, pace and inventiveness that those two can create could give us series problems, and I think a defensively questionable Nick de Luca and a very inexperienced Jo Ansbro trying to contain them is a mis match in Frances favour. Can we win? Very doubtful-but then days in Paris can turn bizarre. We have also beaten recently the 3 teams that last beat France which may be a psychological edge. We have a capable team. If we start well, no stupid penalties and a try or two-who knows......

Argh Nathan Hines, at flank. :(
And Nikki Walker? Again? With Sean Lamont on the bench.
Not my pick, but in Sir Andy I trust :cool:

Let's get stuck into these Frenchies

I got to agree with you about Walker over Lamont, the man places his best with the scotland shirt on.

The only thing I like about this is that our bench is amazing. We can actual put in replacements only to strengthening the team. I hope Andy has a good plan.

Bastareaud wasn't picked among the 30 players for the 6N, he won't be getting any game time before (and very likely during) the world cup. Poitrenaud is benched and Jauzion and Clerc were left out of the 22. However, Skrela got injured and Clerc was called back (!?).

That probably means that the back-up fly-half would be Traille... I agree with those above saying he's a good #21, but he really doesn't have the quality to start at 10 or 15. I think he got chosen before Poitrenaud because he can kick long. Apparently Lièvremont had the brilliant idea of playing with the forwards most of the balls and trust Trihn-Duc and Mermoz to create something out of nothing (and we all know TD is not that kind of player).

IMO, it is wrong, wrong, wrong to leave Jauzion out. The front 8 are as good as it gets, but my backline would have been: 9. Parra 10. Trihn-Duc 11. Médard 12. Jauzion 13. Mermoz 14. Malzieu (who is not even in the 30...) 15. Poitrenaud

Huget is a strong defender, but I honestly don't think that the French wingers will have to defend much (and, for the looks of it, the plan consists more on kicking back than on counter-attacking). Rougérie has never passed a ball in his life, he was a strong #14 who should have stayed there.

Dupuy and Beauxis are not in the 30 either.

Last edited:
Bastareaud wasn't picked among the 30 players for the 6N, he won't be getting any game time before (and very likely during) the world cup. Poitrenaud is benched and Jauzion and Clerc were left out of the 22. However, Skrela got injured and Clerc was called back (!?).

That probably means that the back-up fly-half would be Traille... I agree with those above saying he's a good #21, but he really doesn't have the quality to start at 10 or 15. I think he got chosen before Poitrenaud because he can kick long. Apparently Lièvremont had the brilliant idea of playing with the forwards most of the balls and trust Trihn-Duc and Mermoz to create something out of nothing (and we all know TD is not that kind of player).

IMO, it is wrong, wrong, wrong to leave Jauzion out. The front 8 are as good as it gets, but my backline would have been: 9. Parra 10. Trihn-Duc 11. Médard 12. Jauzion 13. Mermoz 14. Malzieu (who is not even in the 30...) 15. Poitrenaud

Huget is a strong defender, but I honestly don't think that the French wingers will have to defend much (and, for the looks of it, the plan consists more on kicking back than on counter-attacking). Rougérie has never passed a ball in his life, he was a strong #14 who should have stayed there.

Dupuy and Beauxis are not in the 30 either.

Watching France playing it seems that Trinc-Duc is extra center and Parra actually is covering fly-half and he creates something out of nothing.

Huget - strong devender? But he was weakest link in the match with Australia.

He's a strong defender when he actually catches the player in front of him. I don't think he's anything special to be honest.
I disagree about Trinh Duc though, I've seen him play countless times with Montpellier and he IS a creator out of nothing! He needs a good front 8 for that, but since we will destroy the Scottish pack I think he'll have a good game, like he had last year against them.
Traille at 15 with no game time whatsoever this year in this position is a mortal sin when you have someone like Poitrenaud...

I'm going to regret saying this but i think Scotland will win .

I've also got a funny feeling

Itks mainly based on the re-actions to the French team announced
It seems as though those in the know are shaking their heads at the French backs selected

If they are right, then heaven forbid we could handle their backs, and simply kick them to death

Would aid us greatly if the French 10 goes oiff, and this Traille comes on

Watching France playing it seems that Trinc-Duc is extra center and Parra actually is covering fly-half and he creates something out of nothing.

Huget - strong devender? But he was weakest link in the match with Australia.

I blame that on nervousness. I'm not going to defend him (indeed, I would leave him out of the 22), but he is a better defender at 14 than Malzieu or Clerc, though probably not Rougerie (and he is quite crappy)

He's a strong defender when he actually catches the player in front of him. I don't think he's anything special to be honest.
I disagree about Trinh Duc though, I've seen him play countless times with Montpellier and he IS a creator out of nothing! He needs a good front 8 for that, but since we will destroy the Scottish pack I think he'll have a good game, like he had last year against them.
Traille at 15 with no game time whatsoever this year in this position is a mortal sin when you have someone like Poitrenaud...

I'm not a big TD fan, but he's the best we've got as a playmaker. Between him and Mermoz they can create something from 5/8, but agree that Parra is the man.

France to win this easy. Home advantage and they're just a much stronger team than Scotland.

i want scotland to win but my thoughts are they wont

france to win 35-15

Good defense by FTD and a nice counter attack try !

Argh, see what happens when you pick somone as criminally slow as Walker on the wing

Latest posts