• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Thread

Just wanted to share a pic with you lot.

1721029215092.png

This is a pic of the kit/prop manager lifting the trophy. I love how despite the (obvious) differences in hierarchy within the group no one forgets the part the less-exposed members of the team play. I like to believe it is a very typical Argentine trait. And this is nothing new, nor rare.

1721029709306.png

Here's a another one, from 1990. It's a world cup semi final penalty shoot out and the first person Maradona decides to hug is, again, the kitman.
Ask any arg football fan who was Galindez (1990's Arg kitman) and odds are they will know.
I love that bout us.

Southgate officially resigns. No surprise really.
Best decision. Good luck to him and all that. Let the speculation on who's next begin.

I'm struggling to think of an English manager i wouldn't mind. Maybe Eddie Howe but i think he's pretty set at Newcastle.

Right call, but good that he's gone on his own terms and with his head held pretty high.

He's given the new guy a great legacy.

Job well done. In years to come, when it's 80 years of hurt, I suspect that history will be pretty kind to him.

He's given the new guy a great legacy.
That's it. I have no doubt he'll leave a dossier for his successor to learn lessons from his tenure.

I was shocked to read that previous England managers just left their post with nothing for their successors to review and build on.

I would have hoped Gareth stays on in the FA - in some technical post overseeing the grassroots. But he seems like he's had enough after 8 years and who can blame him.

It's a shame those Southgate for UTD manager rumours are no more with ETH extending his deal. Southgate at UTD would've been hilarious. Might've actually got them relegated.

Saw a great comment where someone was saying Southgate was a mediocre manager who wasn't getting the best out of the players and then a few lines later was saying England overhype our players and that they actually aren't that good. Some serious mental gymnastics to have a terrible manager with terrible players becoming the second most successful England manager ever in terms of tournament finishing position. Of course it was just "luck" every time.

Saw a great comment where someone was saying Southgate was a mediocre manager who wasn't getting the best out of the players and then a few lines later was saying England overhype our players and that they actually aren't that good. Some serious mental gymnastics to have a terrible manager with terrible players becoming the second most successful England manager ever in terms of tournament finishing position. Of course it was just "luck" every time.

It's in the JD for sports fans to be fickle but football fans are Champions League.

You make your own luck, the harder you practice the luckier you get etc.

The problem is they see these players play for their clubs and think it should automatically translate to international football, when it's not necessarily the case. They are pretty different.

Southgate has got England to the final of the euros but apart from that first half v the Netherlands England were pretty mediocre and were lucky with the side of the draw they ended up on. They got what they deserved in the final because they were outplayed but there will be this narrative they got to the final and were close. Well, not really. Getting to the final only got them the opportunity to play for the trophy.

I've always thought with England that the problems are systemic. By the time they get to senior level the coach shouldn't really be "coaching" them how to play. Sure he can switch formations. But being comfortable on the ball, keeping it, passing it with purpose and precision, at speed and forwards into the opposition box to create chances and take them, I just haven't seen this from any England team v the top sides since I started watching them way back in 1986. And this got exposed yet again on Sunday, like it did v Italy in the last final and Croatia in 2018. Until this fundamental foundation is fixed it doesn't matter who the manager is.

There are keys to winning at elite level. It just seems England time and again are held back because the FA haven't addressed them fully to give the Senior team the best chance to win a major trophy. And all it does is fall down on the England manager to sort it out.

And the biggest issue is the Premier league. A monster cash cow that will forever inhibit the international team IMO.

And the biggest issue is the Premier league. A monster cash cow that will forever inhibit the international team IMO.

This. When you look at the intensity of the Premier League and all the Champions League and domestic cup games, I think many of the England players are burnt out by the time a summer tournament comes around. I read somewhere that England players will have played around 20 more games than their main rivals over the course of a season.

Yes England had a nice draw but they were a QF team before Southgate took over. Back to back Euro finals is progress. Expectations are so high and I pity the poor sod who comes in next because the only thing that will constitute progress will be winning a final. I was listening to Talksport throughout the tournament and there were so many pundits and ex players constantly just slamming Southgate about tactics and timing of subs etc. These muppets operate with the benefit of hindsight and are just hungry for clicks and likes. Southgate is a cautious coach whose job it is to get results and progress through a tournament. This approach is fine when you win but when you lose you get slated for not having a go and not being entertaining. It's almost like the expectation is to win AND entertain at the same time.

Fans are constantly told that the PL is the best league in the world and I think this just inflates expectations with England. Sometimes you have to acknowledge that other teams like Spain are just a bit better.

It seems they are going with the heritage not hate defense.
I've not seen anything from Argentina, I picked this story up seeing Enzo Fernandez apologising then reading a transcript of the song. I've seen people on line defending it saying that it's just Argentinian culture so it's all good.

Latest posts