• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football Thread

Sometimes i wonder whether you guys sincerely want to understand or if you'd rather stick to your assumptions & prejudices and comfortably swim some laps in what looks like a huge pool of finger pointing.

Sometimes i wonder whether you guys sincerely want to understand or if you'd rather stick to your assumptions & prejudices and comfortably swim some laps in what looks like a huge pool of finger pointing.
Well this post isn't very helpful at all to be honest. Either explain and help people understand your point or don't say anything.

A good place to start would be to confirm if this is an accurate translation of the song:

"Listen, spread the word, they play in France, but they are all from Angola, they are going to run well, they like to sleep with trans people, their mum is Nigerian, their dad is Cameroonian

But Julio Garro, the under-secretary for sports, suggested that team captain Lionel Messi and local FA president Claudio Tapia should issue an apology for the song that some were singing on the bus on Sunday night. "It's left us looking bad," he said.

Garro was sacked, on Wednesday for his comments, while others have rejected the need for an apology.

Nice.

Long post, and tbf, odds are you wont like what i have to say.

Well this post isn't very helpful at all to be honest. Either explain and help people understand your point or don't say anything.

I wasn't trying to help in that post. I was asking a question. In general people asking questions are more often seeking for help than attempting to provide it.
I asked a(n implicit) question, which for the record, you did not answer.

And just so we're clear, i don't need to do anything nor i need your permission to post what i see fit as long as i don't break the forum rules, which i have not.
If you have a question i could probably help you out tho. Happy to do so actually. I would appreciate a straight question tho. Helps to orientate the discussion.
Not going to pretend i speak on behalf of my countrymen, but i'll take a jab at interpreting the responses i've heard/read. I reserve the right to add some color here and there, for poetic purposes, so don't take me too seriously nor (always) literally. Hopefully the meaning will be obvious. Again, i want this to be crystal clear: this is about what i believe the avg Arg thinks/believes, not what I think/believe. I agree with some, not all, but that is another matter.

The only thing i ask from you is to have an open mind and acknowledge the possibility that something you might find incredibly racist/xenophobic/etc might not necessarily be so. You don't even have to agree. I am just asking you to accept the possibility. That's all. I don't think i am asking for much. A bit of rope when you read the explanation instead of coming with 'that's racist' off the bat would help, too.

Maybe some broad strokes will help (again, some rope and open mind, please). Try to focus on the underlying message and not on the delivery, which is poor, of course:

Context matters. It does. This is a footie chant. Footie chants are offensive by intent and design. That is the entire bloody point. One of my best mates is from Bolivia and i would never call him ******* Bolivian (or equivalent) in a regular conversation. He knows that, i know that, everyone in the group knows that. But when we are watching footie insulting, intimidating and offending are not only permitted, but encouraged. He's gonna call me a chicken (literally) and i think i don't need to explain that i am not really a large and round short-winged domesticated bird, do i? His intent is to insult me. I accept that. It's is, for the lack of a better word, a competition.
I can guess what's coming: 'well, the fact that is the norm doesn't make it right, does it?'. Fair question. No, it doesn't. What makes it fair is that we don't really mean it AND that that no one forces you to play. I don't believe he's a ******* Bolivian just as he doesn't believe i am a chicken (literally nor figuratively).
Negative discrimination is based on a belief system: that certain body shape, nationality, race, religion, etc etc should have less rights than the rest (i m greatly simplifying the def here, i know). We (overwhelming majority) do not believe that. We do not. We do not.
So why do we say/chant that? Because we see a gap in the armor there and our objective is to offend, to insult, to disturb. So that's our target. I can see how that is not good enough of an excuse/explanation/argument for some. For many of us, it is.
We (again, most, not all) have some off limit themes, but they are rare exceptions. We will not target something because we think it to be true. We do it to hurt. And in doing so we hurt our friends, family, etc. We target everyone, and i mean everyone, regardless of pretty much anything. We might tone down the sort of insult in some exceptional cases but pretty much anyone and anything is fair game.
Those are the rules of engagement.

Some might not like it, and that is fine.
We don't like a LOT of things we have to live with. Way, way worse things than a fottie song.

The next part involves a not so minor amount of whataboutism, i partially concede, but i think it raises a few interesting points and will most definitely help you to understand where most people are coming from.

In a way, we see a gargantuan double standard in the 'rules' imposed by some and respected only if and when it suits their narrative. The key word here is impose.

They care when Enzo claims that half of France has an African background/heritage and want his head on a pike... but said nothing when Trevor Noah (link) or Ruto (link) (president of Kenya in case you're wondering) said almost exactly the same thing. And from position of more exposure, responsibility and power. And again, not a ******* word.
'well, i didnt know'.
Sorry, not good enough. That selective blindness is hard to buy.

A lot of people, a LOT, are tired of those double standards. If the name of the game is 'damned if we do damned if we don't' then we will chose damned if we do. 10 times out of 10. Why? Well, where do we start? Because we are a bit tired of being lectured on morals by people who come from countries that instrumented the world's worst atrocities in recorded history.

You (not YOU WEx) drove people against a wall where they don't care anymore. That imposing of yours (again, not YOU) made people realize they had a choice: if you want to feel offended then please, go ahead, we dont give a **** anymore. We tried talking and explaining and instead of trying to find a middle ground you claimed your ways were morally right and our unacceptable. So be it, we chose to be unacceptable. Do not accept us. We will play our cards accordingly. If you dont want to negotiate, neither will we.
If someone is going to play the victim card and claim offense anyways we'd rather die with our boots on. We are done listening to others set the standards with which these things are supposed to be judged only to change those standards when they backfire on them. 2014, Germans making fun of Argentines in a packed stadium and live tv, after they beat us in the WC final. We took it to the chin. Did we claim discrimination? Did we file a complain to Fifa. **** no. Where was the outrage?
Or how about when Griezman and Dembele made fun of Asian hotel staff? Did any of them loose their jobs? Did the captain and head of the FFF came out and apologized on their behalf?
I dont recall.

We are sick and tired of being lectured on morals by people who's continent designed the largest case of mass slavery in modern history.
We are surprised that those accusing the songs of racism, colonialism and xenophobia say nothing, absolutely nothing about France acting as the central banker and charging seigniorage to many African nations.
We are exhausted of being asked why there are no black people in Arg's national football team (link) while Japan, Fiji and Cameroon are not asked why don't they have latinos in theirs. For us, both question are just as dumb.
We are outraged at watching many, many places, particularly in europe, bending over backwards and adjusting their culture to accommodate some of the most backwards practices from outside, and pretending to look elsewhere just to avoid seeing the obvious and gigantic contradictions, only to turn around and claim a bloody song is so offensive that it requires someone's head on a pike.

I know, a bit of whataboutism, i know. But it is SOO ******* much. And the coin always appears to land on the same side. At one point the dam breaks and these are the are some of the consequences.

Are you in such a need to feel offended? Try this then

Ask ALL footie players from religion X: what's your take on women's right?
Ask ALL footie players from religions X and Y: do you think homosexuality is a sin?

Put them against the wall, pressure them, look for what they really believe, where they stand.
Start there, trust me, there is plenty.
Much better and useful than using a song, a bloody song as an scapegoat.

And those are just some of the moral arguments/incongruences.
Let me give you a practical one: what they are doing does not work. Punishing people for these sort of things wont change people minds (if they are racist/xenoph/etc). Best case scenario, they wont say it out loud and worst case it they will start voting for people who do not punish them for saying those things out loud.
It is very impractical to try to change what people think by force.

I didnt forget: I like to reply to straight questions with straight answers.
A good place to start would be to confirm if this is an accurate translation of the song:

"Listen, spread the word, they play in France, but they are all from Angola, they are going to run well, they like to sleep with trans people, their mum is Nigerian, their dad is Cameroonian
It is. Well actually, the trans part is worse: 'they are trans-eaters like that fag, Mbappe'.
No buts, no ifs, no excuses. That part is wrong. Period. I don't like it one bit.

Now... I have to ask tho: do you consider saying someone is from Angola, or that their parents are from Nigeria or Cameroon, an insult?
Wow.
I cannot help thinking about the Trevor Noah's and Ruto's comments about this.
Where you outraged when that happened, too?

-----------------------

A sidenote i thought might be interesting and hopefully helps illustrate one of my points: Garnacho is getting hit by a similar thing too. During the entire Copa America he was targeted every game on soc media. The "joke"?: you are not Argentine. Nothing to do with the color of his skin, nor his race. It's about a sense of belonging. Legally he is entitled to be part of the national team, of course. But some (i'd say a minority) feel he doesn't represent us.
He does stand out tho, so in a way he's a sitting duck for these sort of jokes.

PS: had to split the reply in two posts. Forum discriminated my content for it being too long. I blame Olyy, as usual.

Wow, that's a lot. lol. Thanks for writing it down, though. I appreciate the time and thought you put it into. I will not extend you the same as I'm too lazy but I did read it.

Firstly, let me say you could've by-passed your first post and gone straight to what you just said. I took your initial post to be a rhetorical dig which is why I took exception to it. I think I speak for everyone in here that we would always rather hear someone offer an explanation of something rather than a post saying "do you guys even want to know or do you just want to finger point." Of course we would want to know.

Secondly, I'm not offended at all really, why would I be, I'm not black or trans and I'm not in the business of getting offended on other peoples behalf's. I said it wasn't a good look and I 100% stand by that seeing as football is the most popular global sport in the world but good to see you at least acknowledge the trans part (thanks for your honesty about the trans translation) but do you not think that you should take the feelings of the black French players into consideration here especially as they're not part of your culture? But I guess not if what you're saying is "well, this is just meant to offend, all is fair in love and war" kind of thing. Personally I think that's very sad. Is nothing off limits? Should there be no repercussions? Good to know that if I ever go to Argentina and watch a football match I can say whatever I like free from repercussion, though.

I'm not really going to engage in the whataboutism as that's what it is, whataboutism, but also I'm just not aware of these other things that you bring up about Noah and Griezman and whoever but if true then yes, I would say that is bad.

I do reject your assertion that saying someone is from Angola or their parents are from Angola isn't racist. Firstly, I might be wrong on this, but I think there's only 1 French player who has Angolan heritage so that's first off, second of all it's clearly implying that they are not French because of this heritage even though 99% of these players are born and raised in France. In my book that is a form of racism but I doubt you'll agree with me or, more importantly, Forfana or the other black French players.

But yeah, it was a long post to just say it's a cultural issue which is what I gathered when I saw the song. It actually reminds me a lot of how my dad talked about race with friends of other races back in the 70s and I don't mean that as a slight to imply Argentina is backward just that our society has moved in a different direction over the last half century and others are more resistant to change, for better or for worse.

I appreciate the response, though, which was all I was asking for. I would just say some things hit different for different people and while I've never been on the receiving end of racism before I can understand the black French players being quite upset and angry about it and something they've probably dealt with, in one way or another, throughout their lives, and to just put it down to culture and "we don't really mean it it's just a wind up" kind of thing doesn't really excuse it in my book but that's me.

For me racism can be by implication. They are picking on most of the France team as coming from Africa and not being French. But also being ethnically black means all they are are great athletes who can run fast with the ball. Argentinian players are superior because they beat them and are more skilful and don't rely on just being fast.

Yep maybe it's just a cultural thing that Argentines can't see how it's inherently a racist song, as well as transphobic (which was just to add to the insult).

Last edited:
I hate the it's just banter excuse. Heard it rolled out in so many disciplinary meetings in work.

It doesn't matter what the person saying stuff thinks, UK law it's the victims perception that matters.

That he would want to take on the burden of the role when he's not English.
I wouldn't say that's ridiculous. Prestige and a massive pay cheque are tempting.

I agree it was probably always probably unlikely. Could see him managing international though for less stress.

Aren't Liverpool fans known for being unpatriotic? Think many of them boo the national anthem and seem to be more proud of being Scouse. Can see why JK isn't in the running. He probably also wants a break. Top managers like him and Pep choose their jobs carefully and unless either of them think winning the WC is a real possibility I don't see either happening giving that England are ranked 5th and are probably a semi final team assuming they don't get a freakish draw.

Aren't Liverpool fans known for being unpatriotic? Think many of them boo the national anthem and seem to be more proud of being Scouse. Can see why JK isn't in the running. He probably also wants a break. Top managers like him and Pep choose their jobs carefully and unless either of them think winning the WC is a real possibility I don't see either happening giving that England are ranked 5th and are probably a semi final team assuming they don't get a freakish draw.
I think the difference with Klopp is that he's had health scares over the years and by his own admission has was burnt out. Obviously don't know if he's being truthful but taking him on his word then I think a cushy international job makes sense.

Pep I could only see going international if he sees himself retiring soon and, again, wants a cushy job to see him through to retirement.

There's also a big difference between managing a club compared to at international level. They just don't get the time to drill players into their style of play like they do at club level.
I wouldn't say that's ridiculous. Prestige and a massive pay cheque are tempting.

I agree it was probably always probably unlikely. Could see him managing international though for less stress.
Ridiculous if you knew Klopp. He was running out of energy as Liverpool manager. Why would he want that in an even more stressful job with England knowing the expectations? And also how the premier league undermines the job.

He is also a proud German - having a go at one reporter for asking him a question in English in Germany. If he does return to management one day it would be with the German national team.

There's also a big difference between managing a club compared to at international level. They just don't get the time to drill players into their style of play like they do at club level.

Ridiculous if you knew Klopp. He was running out of energy as Liverpool manager. Why would he want that in an even more stressful job with England knowing the expectations? And also how the premier league undermines the job.

He is also a proud German - having a go at one reporter for asking him a question in English in Germany. If he does return to management one day it would be with the German national team.
Any international job is less stressful than club football. I know you think the England job is this uniquely hard, stressful job but compared to day in day out coaching, it is of course a lot less stressful.

And I'm sorry, but just because you're part of the Liverpool cult it doesn't mean you know Klopp either.

As I said, I thought it was always unlikely but due to health scares and him burning out I wouldn't rule out international football which you haven't either so not sure what we're disagreeing about.

Any international job is less stressful than club football. I know you think the England job is this uniquely hard, stressful job but compared to day in day out coaching, it is of course a lot less stressful.

And I'm sorry, but just because you're part of the Liverpool cult it doesn't mean you know Klopp either.

As I said, I thought it was always unlikely but due to health scares and him burning out I wouldn't rule out international football which you haven't either so not sure what we're disagreeing about.
Part of the Liverpool cult? Whatever. 🤔

I just giving my opinion because the media were saying go after him as an elite manager.

The England manager's job is more stressful because it's not just about being a coach. It's all the BS baggage, expectation and toxic culture - from the media to fans. Look at how Southgate has aged in 8 years and totally fed up of the utter ungratefulness. Why would Klopp want that if he could just be German manager?

Latest posts