• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Food!

I think it's because I LOVE Spanish food. Compared to France and Italy I think Spanish food is quite underrated. It was a holiday in Spain that converted me. I used to hate them like you losers did but now can't get enough of them.

What boggles my mind is that my 8 year old son and 5 year old daughter ******* love them as well. Even to me as someone who loves olives I find that strange as they definitely are an acquired taste.

What boggles my mind is that my 8 year old son and 5 year old daughter ******* love them as well. Even to me as someone who loves olives I find that strange as they definitely are an acquired taste.

That is strange as I know quite a few people who liked them over time. I always likened them to alcoholic drinks. When I was a kid I thought any alcoholic drink tasted disgusting. When I was a student I liked beer but thought wine was disgusting. Now I appreciate a nice vino but still hate olives lol

That is strange as I know quite a few people who liked them over time. I always likened them to alcoholic drinks. When I was a kid I thought any alcoholic drink tasted disgusting. When I was a student I liked beer but thought wine was disgusting. Now I appreciate a nice vino but still hate olives lol
See I'm such a pleb really as wine just tastes all the same to me. I don't mind it but I'll only drink it if I want to get ****** and have nothing else. Classy, right.

See I'm such a pleb really as wine just tastes all the same to me. I don't mind it but I'll only drink it if I want to get ****** and have nothing else. Classy, right.

I'm not an expert by any means but steak and a nice red is a solid combo IMO. With you being an olive racist you might be better off sticking to a very pale pinot grigio 😂

You, I mean we (outside of Russia and Eastern Europe I assume) don't really hear anything about Russian food.

This is your time to shine. Impress me.
Oy.. I'm not sure if I'll impress you, but will mention a couple of plates maybe 😅
So, right now (during hot weather), I prefer cold soups: okroshka and svekolnik. Some variants of svekolnik exist also in other Slavic cuisines (in Poland for example).
Okroshka can be prepared on kvass and kefir, I love both but as a fan of kvass, I usually tend to cook the second variant (when I can find kvass in Poland, of course).
I didn't find a Wikipedia article in English for svekolnik, only for "cold borsh" that is variant of Polish chłodnik. These are all different types of svekolnik I'd say, a cold soup made with beetroots ("svekla" is a beetroot in Russian) and on kvass/kefir as well (in Russia it's usually kvass, in Lithuania and Poland they often use kefir).
There's a paragraph dedicated to "cold borsh" in this article:

I don't like borsh by the way, but also eat it from time to time (but there are lots of types of borsh as well, in different countries they cook it in a different way).

My favourite dishes are also:
Draniki (you call it Potato pancakes) - it's mostly a Belarusian dish, but is also incredibly popular in Russia, Ukraine (they call it "deruni" there), Poland (they call it "placki ziemniaczany"). I don't like how Poles cook it, but I love a Belarusian/Russian/Ukrainian receipt.
Syrniki or Tvorozhniki
Rasstegai/kulebyaka and other types of Russian pirog (don't confuse it with Polish word "pierogi" that is used for another dish)
Pelmeni of course

Vareniki (or "pierogi" as they call it in Poland). It's rather a Ukrainian food, but there's a receipt they call "Russian pierogi" here in Poland

There are also lots of tasty salads such as:
"Selyodka pod shuboy" (that literally means "herring under a fur coat" ) or dressed herring - that's rather a Soviet food
"Olivier" - a salad that we (in ex-Soviet countries) cook often as a New Year's Eve dish. (They cook it in Poland as well,a bit different,but I don't like their receipts). It's also rather a Soviet food,but you often call it "Russian salad"
I like eating it during summer,not only for New Year's Eve

There are lots of other dishes,of course, these are the most known in Western countries I think

Definitely would try Russian food if it was available.

Sad sight when you see Brits/Irish come all the way to Tokyo just to eat and drink in an Irish pub.

IMG_3866.jpeg

IMG_3801.jpeg

This is cold soba Buck wheat noodles with a dipping sweet soya dipping sauce and in first pic side of tempura shrimp, vegetable and squid. If you're a noodle fan, then highly recommended. These taken whilst in Hiroshima.

I think it's because I LOVE Spanish food. Compared to France and Italy I think Spanish food is quite underrated. It was a holiday in Spain that converted me. I used to hate them like you losers did but now can't get enough of them.
I think we've found one of the booze cruise tourists the Spanish grandmas told their daughters to stay away from

Flights with BA. Meals are shockingly bad.

This is my dinner served less than an hour before landing. View attachment 20413
IMG_4044.jpeg

And given 20 mins to eat up before landing. Only 2 meals on 13/14 hour flight as well. First long haul flight since Covid but I don't recall it being that bad before.

I had this when I was Tokyo and had a plate for £5/6. I don't see how it can be more than 3 times the price here, and upwards of £20. Of course exchange rate and taxes affect the prices, but still is this rip off Britain, especially in London or what?

Just had the results of a food intolerance test of over 250 foodstuffs. Just 2 that cause me a problem:

Pollock. Neither here nor there.

Yeast. The stuff found in beer, cakes, biscuits, bread, did I mention beer, cereals, Marmite (could cry), aged cheese (I'm on the edge here….) mayo, mustard, wine and did I mention beer? Pretty much everything that makes life worth living. Only good news is that spirits are pretty much OK.

Guess next stage is an elimination diet (gonna have to wait post hols) and if I feel better after that very gradually feed some back in to see where my limits lie. Definitely do have some of the yeast intolerance symptoms.

Anyone else suffered in this way? Any tips?

Anyone else suffered in this way? Any tips?

High cholesterol and higher risk of diabetes. Toughest part for me is to cut down on saturated fat foods and salt.

My advice. Moderation of those foods and drinks that contain yeast. Also good time to diversify your diet - plenty of different plants, fermented foods. Gut health is key.

High cholesterol
My relative also has high cholesterol. Pretty a lot of people ignore this problem, while in fact it's very dangerous!
My advice: fish,fish and fish. Nothing fried, less butter. Try to avoid sugar and salt. More fruits, vegetables.
And the earlier you start to keep a healthy food diet,the better it is.
I started to listen to some podcasts about importance of healthy diet and danger of alcohol,and decided to start my healthy life with following steps : exclude any alcohol except big 3-4 celebrations per year (not complicated as I don't drink it often anyway), add more fish (pretty complicated as I didn't eat it a lot before) and minimise the quantity of sugar. Sugar is the worst as I barely can live without chocolate and sweets...but I managed to achieve it for almost three weeks now.
Thankfully I don't like butter at all, absolutely indifferent to salt and fried meat, (but like some fried food from time to time unfortunately),can easily avoid beer/other alcohol etc etc.

Latest posts