• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Food!

I don't do well with too spicy as food. A Bhuna is about my level of spicy curry although could stretch it to a Jalfrezi. But if I do I would order it in. Too lazy to cook.

Talking of which local curry houses are jacking up their prices. The one I usually order from is charging £9.50 for a Chicken Tikka Bhuna and then £4.50 for boiled rice. Plus Naan on top and tip looking at £19. Went instead for a Thai and managed to get a Chicken rice dish, including Soup and a Prawn Pad Thai for £17, so went for that instead.

I don't do well with too spicy as food. A Bhuna is about my level of spicy curry although could stretch it to a Jalfrezi. But if I do I would order it in. Too lazy to cook.

Talking of which local curry houses are jacking up their prices. The one I usually order from is charging £9.50 for a Chicken Tikka Bhuna and then £4.50 for boiled rice. Plus Naan on top and tip looking at £19. Went instead for a Thai and managed to get a Chicken rice dish, including Soup and a Prawn Pad Thai for £17, so went for that instead.
They really are gouging you for the sundries. My local choice of Indian would be about the same for a Bhuna, but a good bit cheaper with the sundries added. It's always worth checking the set deals, I can get a Chicken Tikka, a Bombay Aloo, Pliau Rice and a Poppadom for £11.69 if I collect. A friend of mine says it's enough for him and his wife.

Personally, I'm not above saving a few quid by microwaving a cheap supermarket rice sachet to go with a takeaway, although I will often order something that doesn't need a side with it, particularly if I'm ordering Chinese - luckily I like a Chow Mein or a rice dish. My favourite Chinese's Roast Duck with Special Fried Rice is a bargain given the small price difference between that and a regular Special Fried Rice and the amount of duck that you get.

I've never eaten much Thai food, so am excited that a new Thai place is opening in my home town. Yours seems like a bargain.

Lol had to google what Hoose Rice before realising what he was referring to.

Edit: TBF, making your own rice to go with your takeaway especially a curry makes a lot of sense especially if you have a rice cooker. Even if you don't then doing it in a pan is easy. Might do that next time I get a curry. £4.50 at my local one for boiled basmati rice is extortionate.

Last edited:

Takes a while to get there but yeh big factor is: Brexit!

It's probably not going to give you cancer, but it would have been nice for the article to remind readers that aspartame might be creating a cephalic response, be damaging your gut microbiome and might be no better, or even worse than regular sugar for weight loss.

Ghost chilli anyone?

Or Da Bomb sauce?

I tried the tiniest bit of ghost chili oil when I worked in a kitchen. Just a little on a toothpick was enough for me, and I'm reasonably good with hot foot. Wouldn't touch something covered in the stuff, although there is a hot food challenge just down the road from me I'm tempted to try when I feel stupid enough.

It's probably not going to give you cancer, but it would have been nice for the article to remind readers that aspartame might be creating a cephalic response, be damaging your gut microbiome and might be no better, or even worse than regular sugar for weight loss.
I don't know if my taste buds are hyper sensitive to the taste of sweetners, but I can't stand anything with added sweetners. I find it tastes completely vile!

Really ****** me off that everything's being forced into having sweetners. Used to love some Ribena cordial now and again, but since they switched to sweetners, I've found myself drinking more Coca Cola (Pepsi, before they changed their recipe to include half sweetners, eww) when I really fancy something other than plain water.

So in an odd way, the whole sugar tax thing has had the opposite effect on me, as I've ended up consuming more unhealthy drinks than I used to!

Not entirely sure it's having much impact anyway. I still see some mums greet their chubby kids with chocolate bars and crisps after school - can't even wait till they get home!

There needs to be more education on food in schools imo. Cookery lessons should be taken as seriously as the core subjects like maths and science. It's clear that there's generarions of parents who can't cook, or too lazy to cook, or too busy to cook, as such the kids have no hope! Teach 'em how to cook properly, with correct portion sizes. Well balanced meals, that doesn't always mean ultra low fat, they need to be tasty and enjoyable.

So what are people's favourite hot sauces? Personally I love either Cholula for when I want it a little less spicy but with nice flavour, on Encona for when I want it a bit more burny. Both taste amazing on top of being spicy. Nando's peri peri used to be a favourite but I wouldn't choose it over the other 2 now.

Has anyone had Huel and recommend?
I've been having Huel Black for lunch since the start of the year

As a drink it's fine - definitely palatable (and I'm quite a picky eater), some flavours nicer than others. Does genuinely fill me up as much as a regular lunch, as well - which is something that put me off getting it for a while (thinking I'd just be starving an hour or two later)

I love the convenience of it/removing the thought process out of lunch

Has anyone had Huel and recommend?
You can't argue with the price, the convenience is great and the nutritional profile that it claims is very impressive. However, it does strike me as ironic that it's marketed at people aiming to live a healthy life at a time when we're starting to understand the importance of gut health and how dangerous ultra-processed food is.

I would like to try the savoury products - carbonara and Bolognese, macaroni and cheese. Would have been good if they sold it on a per packet basis. But yes, in our modern fast moving world we can't get away from ultra processed food.