• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First Trailer for RWC 2011 - NOW LIVE!

Rugby 08 was a decent game, dont know how many hours of my life I've wasted on it! Literally played my PS2 version to death (the disc broke <_<)! I'm fine with HB using similar animations, especially seeing that by the sounds of it that they've improved a hell of a lot on 08.
For example:
Rucking - 06 and 08 had an awful (pretty much non-existant) rucking system. HB have installed a completely new system, which by the sounds of it has sorted it out.
Drop Goals - Hated the drop goal system of 08. HB have gone back to the 06 system which was awesome.
Lack of attacking options - They've added in the chip kick and better attack options from the ruck. Need I say more? It is strange they didnt show much of it in the trailer though.
Glitches and Rules - There was some very frustrating glitches in 08, would sometimes freeze when someone got injured, would sometimes freeze on the switch setplay, would sometimes pass the ball to an 'invisible man' who'd been sin-binned. On top of this some of the rules were wrong like advantage length (which they've confirmed they've sorted), plus penalties from dodgy line out throws (which they got right on 06 :huh:. We have no way of knowing that these glitches arent still in the game until we play it, but Im gonna be really suprised if they are.

This is NOT the same as 08, just based on it. What's so wrong with that anyway? Not as if Fifa and Madden dont do the same thing...
People should stop whining about it and wait until they've played the bloody thing

Last edited:
Guys dont get annoyed with people and defensive if they dont think it looks good, to be honest it just does look alot like an updated 08, but thats fine I really enjoyed the old games. Graphics look ok. My opinion (which I will probably be slated for) is that unless the gameplay on RC is god awful, that will be the better game. Im gonna probably get both though, and great to see Moodos in action.
Ur completely right. The only 1 who's makin sense

Oh, so a statement quoted in the trailer itself qualifies as a substantive rating and is also deemed justification to refer to the game as the most overrated ever? Please spare me...Apart from the rose-tinted yesteryear lovers of JLR, were Rugby 06 & 08 not deemed the best renditions of rugby in video game form thus far? If so, and if RWC11 plays like those, then the only quatifiable difference that joe public is personally aware of between RC & RWC11 is the amount of content provided - and that is hardly grounds for the serious amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth that goes on here and def does not justify a "most overrated game ever" tag from our learned new forum member with his 2nd only post!
Sorry for having an opinion. Just saying what I believe since the beta version of RC (can b seen on YouTube(will give u d link if u want)) seems A LOT WORSE than this updated version of 08. Will probably b getting it to keep me busy before RC comes out. Oh yeh I'm saying that its overrated cus of the many reviews given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've watched this trailer 5 times now and although it looks like it will be fun, this trailer really does give ammunition to the people who say it's Rugby 08 in HD!!!!! Same animations, same tackles, same dives, sane bunching. All that said though, I'll be happy if the gameplay is similar to 08's cos I really enjoyed it. And still do!!'n

Just rewatched and the kicking is a bit suspect. Seems to be that strange half box half banana on the run kick going on again, and Nonus drop goal looked dreadful, but then maybe thats the way it should be ! :p

yeah terrible trailer IMO i will reserve my judgement til i've played the demo, i have rugby challenge pre ordered but we will see about this one.

is this a joke ?

I hope that trailer is of rugby 08 !!

do me a favour and go look and rugby challenge! this game`s for some reason not so exciting anymore :(

All of the TRF forum admins are in denial
This is a repackaging of 08, and the trailer just proved it
Good job HB and 505, you've succesfully done nothing

I think HB are making a great effort here, if you own an Xbox 360 and PS3, download the demo and try it, if you get on with it Buy the game (Preferably by someone associated with us)

Hadnt seen that thankyou!!! is that the release date or just a made up one? never heard of gamestop but will defiantly be keeping a good eye on it. 2 of my 3 worries about RC at rest. Now i just hope the gameplay works and its not too unrealistic/easy. Pretty sure i know what to expect from RWC and im happy with that but could be better with their new ruck play will wait and see. (and matches no longer having to end as a draw)
gamestop is an irish version of eb games owned by the same people.

A. don't tell me I am in denial, as I have said earlier the trailer didn't impress me.
B. So you didn't enjoy Rugby 08? Have you played Rugby World Cup 2011?

Also I would just like to add I will be buying both games, purely because there is 2 games coming out attacking different areas of the market.

Finally these games are just a stepping stone, HB has had to completely rebuild the game for the Xbox 360 and PS3 engines, this is why some of the animations look the same, they have not had the money to invest in developing this, RC had the backing of HES and SIDHE, RWC 2011 has been made by HB Studios and only recently managed to get a publisher. The fact is if neither of one of these games are successful we won't have another for 4 years...

double-facepalm.jpg

A. don't tell me I am in denial, as I have said earlier the trailer didn't impress me.
B. So you didn't enjoy Rugby 08? Have you played Rugby World Cup 2011?

Also I would just like to add I will be buying both games, purely because there is 2 games coming out attacking different areas of the market.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed rugby 08. But i enjoyed it 4 years ago
I've got Rugby 08 on PC, why would i buy this game again

Well that's a ton of overreaction... RWC11 is being made as a successor to 08 whereas RC is a totally new union franchise: of course this game is gonna be like Rugby 08!!!

From the trailer it looks pretty straightforward as to what we should be expecting (and what we realistically have been after) - a good step up from the previous attempt. Happy days!