• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

FIFA 09

How do you join? I was going to load it up but SOME f***ing f***er has stolen my license plates!

Had a go at this round some mates yesterday on their Xbox 360. It's definately much better than the dire PC version.

After absolutely hating it for the first couple of matches I have to admit it did start to grow on me. It's very different to Pro Evo, and there are certain aspects of it which annoy the hell out of me, but I've come to realise there is still satisfaction to be gained from it.

Oddly enough though I enjoyed the matches we played with the lower ranked teams (Northampton vs New Zealand was a cracker), as it is a little easier to keep the ball for a while, you don't seem to just be constantly switching possession from one midfield to another.

I have played every single PES version until 6/2007 was out. Didn't buy 2008 cause i didn't wanted to go back to fifa (last time i played a fifa game it was Fifa 94 on an Atari ST). So i tried both demos d/l from the XBL, and as much as i hate to say it, Fifa 09 seemed a bit better to me. Selected same teams in both games, and the difference was clear to me... it seemed the ball was glued to the players feet in PES, same moves, same shabby look... didn't make the cut for me...

yes there are glitches and other stupid things in Fifa 09 but the speed/looks/lack of license of PES wears thin now. I give a lot of importance to realism, and playing teams with stupid names, lame crowd sounds and ugly graphics just put me off completely...

And the more i play Fifa 09, the more i find it subtle (i am turning on the semi/manual settings as i go), it's not easy to score and demands real build up, and i am getting all excited when i score a nice goal - very rewarding. It just seems to play and look more realistic to me.

I haven't tried the online yet? really wanna try 10vs10 but fear it's gonna be real messy. how do we join the trf league/team? do we do it from the Xbox live menu of the game?

bottom line is: i have always been swearing that PES was the ultimate football experience, but i have to recognize EA stepped up their game, even if there's still the odd stupid option missing here and there... it takes a little bit to get used to it, but in the end i really enjoy the game and i find it challenging.

my 2 cents

Or u can just ignore 2009
And go for euro 2008
I wont buy PES09 unless I find out online is lag free
I will just buy Euro08 for $30.00, and sit on that till next year

I have yet to witness any of these glaring AI moments of stupidity - the patch must have dealt with the issue.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Oct 13 2008, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Had a go at this round some mates yesterday on their Xbox 360. It's definately much better than the dire PC version.[/b]

What makes it so dire? I have all the settings cranked way up, play on a 20" widescreen and use my PC game controller. I am loving every minute of it!

Well I finally played the game today.

Hired it from the video store...got it for a week. Just had a few games against the computer.

It feels much more responsive than 08 ever did. The normal speed is a bit too fast that it plays arcade like....it seems like it is a bit too easy making passes stick. It seems a bit easy just passing it all the way upfield.

Good you can now customise the camera and great they have broadcast back.

Custom formations are great!

The dribbling and control are way more responsive than 08.

Support players move into better positions with their runs than 08.

It looks like defence will be the key that will separate the good players from the bad.

Menus and stuff are better.

Anyway....I will give this game a few more hours playing before I go online.

Thought I'd add my $0.02

I picked this up a week or so ago, but only really played it properly this weekend. I think that the realism cannot be praised enough. Sure there are glitches (although I've not noticed the serious ones mentioned above), but all in all, this plays a perfect blend of realistic and fun football.

A lot has been made of the 'Be a pro' mode, but I'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying the equally full-featured manager mode. The improvements in gameplay, and particularly the effect which player stats have on actual playing characteristics, mean that this game really rewards clever signings. It's not about signing just the big names - playing as a lower league club, there is an amazing satisfaction to be gleaned from picking up somebody who fits your playing style. As an example, I recently picked up a very cheap african striker for Birmingham. He wasn't blessed with technical ability, but had the physical presence of a centreback, and was the perfect target for my crosses from the wing, notching up 3 goals in his first 3 games. I also spend money developing my coaching staff, which really pays off (I worked on my fitness coach especially, so that squad rotation became less off a necessity, and my 'A' team could play more regularly). The depth of this mode has not been praised that much, but it really is a worthwhile addition which I'd recommend exploring.

All in all, I'm massively impressed. I've always had equal time for both Fifa and Evo, and whilst I may pick up Evo at a later stage, Fifa is certainly keeping me occupied in a big way currently...

Well I got my Fifa 09 pc game only today and I'm busy installing it now,can't wait to play it :carrot:

Collisions have been improved quite a bit.

Imagine if they use this technology for Rugby 09/10... that would make things so much "realistic" there's so much EA could integrate to Rugby games, but for some reason i am pretty sure they wont...

Day Two playing Fifa:

Well I had another go at it today offline getting used to the game.

My impression of it today is a bit better than yesterday. The player collisions are the best I have seen from Fifa so far. Everything seems a whole lot more polished than 08 and you feel you have a bit more control than before.

The game speed at normal still feels a bit too fast to be enjoyable. It is playable but not enjoyable. It feels like you are just knocking it up to your striker without giving too much thought in it.

It is here that we encounter what I see as a problem. Everything seems too automatic. The game feels like it rewards those who choose assisted as the assisted passes always seem to be the best possible pass that could be delivered. Assisted through balls are just perfect. After a while it doesn't even feel like you are playing...it feels like the assisted ai does all the thinking for you and it even creates amazing things that you had not previously planned to do.

I went back to manual settings because I like to create my own stuff and in 08 my own stuff was better than the assisted stuff. However in 09 my own stuff was too difficult to pull off...in the end I realised that the assisted settings created better stuff than even I would have hoped for.

Sad really.

Later on I might have another go with the game speed at slow.

I'm surprised they sell Fifa 09 in NZ..! how did you get into soccer GayGuy.. i didn't think it was so popular in NZ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Oct 16 2008, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm surprised they sell Fifa 09 in NZ..! how did you get into soccer GayGuy.. i didn't think it was so popular in NZ?[/b]
Of course they play soccer over here. From a young age schoolkids are introduced to most sports. More young kids play soccer than they do rugby. Unfortunately the thickos in NZ soccer play the game in the winter when the fields are full of mud....so our players never learn to play the fast game you would get on harder grounds. Another thing is that you would have more skillful players for both soccer and rugby if they left rugby to winter and soccer to summer...everyone would have a go at both sports.

We play other sporting ***les here in NZ besides rugby.....soccer is no different.

Well my third day playing Fifa 09. Actually I only played one game today.

I put my settings on slow and went back to manual through balls and manual lobs.

Played a game in legendary.

This game is really brilliant! Much more better than 08 by a long shot.

Slow speed wasn't really slow at all compared to 08....but it was slow enough to change the game from an arcade to a sim. Now I could play proper football...probing for a bit before building up and trying to break through.

I stumbled across the team mentality on the D-Pad...very cool how they did it.

I have zero assistance with changing players...and it works very well indeed compared to last year.

My defenders actually defend a while lot better than they did in 08. I can convert quicker to the nearest player to defend crosses etc....actually the AI marks a whole lot closer than they did in 08 where they were so clueless.

Good to see that fully pulling the direction to a side with assisted shooting has the ball going wide. Shooting has become...well.....shooting. You have to have some sort of aim instead of blindly pulling it left or right.

The players are so much more responsive. I love it! The player collisions are perfect. The skill moves actually come out a whole lot easier than 08. It just feels like your player is doing things the way they should.

It is a bit sad that lateral dribbling is not there anymore...however so many things have been improved that lateral dribbling is not missed as much. Perhaps they will bring it back in 2010.

I know this sounds had to believe but.....the game is so good that I am tempted to not even bother going online! I am tempted to go into my own little fantasy would playing offline....in broadcast view...etc etc...and pretend I am watching a real game.

I will go online in a few days....still getting used to the basics. Really I have had only four hours of the game and have a bit more to try out.

After reading how much people have been enjoying it I caved and went and bought it from Noel Leemings, they had a 15% off sale.

I think it is pretty awesome now but I am taking ages to get to grips with it so am taking it one step at a time. I regret the three times I hastily went online in my noobish state when I thought I had a clue 'cos I got owned...won't be doing that again in a hurry, but why bother when the AI is as good as it is.

The control is much better, very smooth and less fiddly.

Can you give me some goal scoring tips guys, I'm struggling with that part of my game.

Haven't really delved into the depths of custom controls but will get around to it as I learn more. Any tips for this would be welcome as well.

Like you GG I'm really enjoying playing against the AI, moreso than online.

Been playing game for 3 days now and all I can say is WOW!Graphics are so much better than 08 and you get awarded much more free kicks and penalties thanks to the new collisions system,but I've found it funny when 2 players from the same team run into each other and both go down! :lol:

Another cool thing about 09 is that you can play the game now with the keyboard and mouse,pretty cool!

All in all the best soccer game that has ever been made I think :bravo:

If only those thumbsuckers from EA would incorporate all these new systems and graphics into a rugby game <_<

Latest posts