• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Euros 2024 - Germany

It was a great finish, but overall the performance was still poor. I know it's a results based business, but he's coming across as bit ridiculous to try and say that this has proved the critics wrong.

It was a great finish, but overall the performance was still poor. I know it's a results based business, but he's coming across as bit ridiculous to try and say that this has proved the critics wrong.
I think it's pretty standard for top flight pro's particularly footballers. Who tend to be insulated from criticism. Most of the time you are adored by thousands of fans and when you are not the default seems to be "Well **** you lot".

Portugal it is then to face France after Ronaldo had his penalty saved, cried and then redeemed himself in the penalty shootout. Diego Costa = beast of penalty shootouts.

If you have no attacking threat from out wide - like a genuine left footed player would give - you can defend narrower which gives the attacking team less space in the centre. The opposition so far could effectively ignore Trippier as that threat as they pretty much know he's going to feed the ball inside.

It certainly doesn't help. But teams are comfortable defending against England with a low block. All England do is try and get around them from the periphery and that doesn't help having inverted wingers one of whom keeps running into the same spaces as Kane and Bellingham and Trippier not providing any overlap. Far too predictable.

I would like to see Gareth revert to 3 at the back. And play 3-4-3, with Saka as left wing back, Trent as a right wing back and Foden and Eze or Gordan as the inverted right and left wingers respectively. Maybe then that would give England some balance and also get Trent onto the field into a position he can get balls into the box but also have Walker and Bellingham/Rice behind him when he is high up the pitch.

Latest posts