• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

If Farrell got 4, I don't suppose Billy is going to get much more than 2?
I don't think it's possible to go below 3. It starts at 6 and is reduced by 2 when you have a clean record and then you can knock off another week for 'tackle school' - whatever the hell that is. Or so I've heard explained a few times.

It seems more or less impossible to actually cop the full 6 weeks that is supposedly the entry level punishment for the offence.

Last edited:
Pretty sure maximum mitigation before "tackle school" is 50%; not 2.

So start at 6, maximum mitigation down to 3, tackle school down to 2 would be... pretty much standard.
Personally, I wouldn't apply maximum mitigation because the Farrell issue should have meant that not doing that was at the front of every England players' mind - but I don't think it works that way.

Pleading guilty to the crime but arguing the toss on the punishment. Is fair but sits badly with me especially as this is sport not a criminal court.

I think this process needs summary judgements with no appeal/representation. We treat it way too much like a court of law not applying rules of a sport.

Pleading guilty to the crime but arguing the toss on the punishment. Is fair but sits badly with me especially as this is sport not a criminal court.

I think this process needs summary judgements with no appeal/representation. We treat it way too much like a court of law not applying rules of a sport.
It is quasi-judicial and I think World Rugby stuff does end up in the CAS.

Wow, haven't seen this trick in a while.
Company: you'll now be paying 500
Customer: that's insane, it was 250 last time!
Company: ok, we'll call it 350.
Customer: that's better.

See what they did? They've done the same with the ban. A reduction to 2 is still comical.

Last edited:
What happens if Farrell learns nothing and does it again? His record is frankly appalling. We're talking about player welfare and guys getting smashed in the head. How about a sliding scale for repeat offenders and so next time they start at a 10 game ban and then after that 15? Maybe they need to introduce tackle school for dummies.

What happens if when Farrell learns nothing and does it again? His record is frankly appalling. We're talking about player welfare and guys getting smashed in the head. How about a sliding scale for repeat offenders and so next time they start at a 10 game ban and then after that 15? Maybe they need to introduce tackle school for dummies.

Fixed that for you.

That's just how he likes to tackle, on the edge, higher risk shots. It's bound to happen again.

It's not good when the bloke you've made Captain - who arguably isn't the form starting 10- and your only Number 8 - returning from injury and lack of form- are banned.

Talk about the big decisions not going for you so far. I wonder if it just opens the door for people to burst through and rip up the script. That's my only hope!

At least that way it demands Faz and BV to up their game.

I was really struggling to bring to mind any time someone has actually got the full 6 weeks of a ban for a dangerous tackle. Darcy Swain got one for a dangerous clearout, there have been 6 week bans for punches, other assaults, and so on. There's been a few for head contact in rucks. I googled and found one for a tackle from 2011.

What's the point of having a 6 week ban for dangerous tackles if it's never going to apply? Faz is a repeat offender of exactly this type of tackle, and previously players have had the bans increased for prior disciplinary issues. We've got a clear-cut red from a player with previous, the tackle could never have been legal because of no arms and how upright he was, and he can't reattend the tackle school.

Honestly, I'd be interested to hear how they shaved two weeks off of that

Honestly, I'd be interested to hear how they shaved two weeks off of that
Guilty Plea (admitted foul play), increased for previous.

His guilty plea should be ignored because of his previous.

The haggling down bans in bullshit tbh, no issue with the billy one since no history, but the whole concept is ludicrous. Why would anyone ever stop or redo their technique if they are only ever going to miss a max of 4 games. Tackle school and re-eucation doesnt work as highloighted by farrels continous repeat offenses, if you admit fault who cares? extreme example but if a serial killer admits to being a murdered we dont go ahhhh yeah fair enough, he did admit it reduced sentence.

Just give the flat 6 regardless, and then slide up by 2 depending on how many times you have been cited, players would soon stop.

Just read a BBC article which said that Curry was still struggling with an ankle injury. Is this cause for concern?

Just read a BBC article which said that Curry was still struggling with an ankle injury. Is this cause for concern?
At this stage: yes,
Going into the world cup off the back of three months of no rugby is a risk, but then at this stage if they were to swap him out for T.Willis then Willis would be going in off the back of...20mins? in three months so we'd be undercooked either way

I'm guessing it's a touch and go injury and the kind of thing where he'll have a weekly will-he-won't-he check with the physio to see if he can play that weekend, so they'll just keep him around and throw him when he's deemed fit enough (if he's not fit this week I don't anticipate seeing him until the Japan game at the earliest)

Edit: Just seen a clip of Wigglesworth saying Curry hasn't been in team training since he rolled his ankle - really should've called up an injury replacement, in that case. I'm guessing the rules around injury replacements are the same as a standard EPS one where you swap them back round once the first guy is fit again? So it's not like he's being dropped from the squad fully, but means we've got an extra body there

The haggling down bans in bullshit tbh, no issue with the billy one since no history, but the whole concept is ludicrous. Why would anyone ever stop or redo their technique if they are only ever going to miss a max of 4 games. Tackle school and re-eucation doesnt work as highloighted by farrels continous repeat offenses, if you admit fault who cares? extreme example but if a serial killer admits to being a murdered we dont go ahhhh yeah fair enough, he did admit it reduced sentence.

Just give the flat 6 regardless, and then slide up by 2 depending on how many times you have been cited, players would soon stop.
Problem with that is for an early guilty plea they will factor in the plea, any remorse and mitigation. Not necessarily for a serial killer but in mercy killings, manslaughter, one punch kills etc they can and do. An early guilty plea removes the need for a full trial in the first place.

Factor in intent, recklessness or lack of which i don't think you can ignore, then t's messy old business.

You can't lump a reckless challenge with intent into the same bracket. I'd have thought you have to take every case on it's merits, mitigation, plea, and all. If you are taking previous bad behaviour into account then you must good behaviour as well. Ie Billy V only having one red vs Farrell's multiple indiscretions when considering sentences. You can't find guilt on previous alone that's a dangerous route in any court, civil or criminal.

Just seen a pic from Maro Itoje's Instagram with Johnny Hill and what looks like Tom Pearson in camp. Is this normal once you've been dropped or are they standing in for Martin/Billy?

Latest posts