• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Clearly, Murley must have been pulling up trees in his week off.

Any suggestions as to what Sniff Bostik is up to?

....but why?

Like I'm glad he's back, don't get me wrong, but what was the point of having him miss a week of training?
Is one of the retained guys injured? Or just in poor form?
Even if one is injured surely they need to drop one or two out anyhow. So unless it's a really serious injury, you are sending someone home next week anyhow.

Really bizarre.

I wondered if it was players being let go to have a family holiday or something but then why even announce they have left the squad.

Clearly, Murley must have been pulling up trees in his week off.

Any suggestions as to what Sniff Bostik is up to?
Best theory I've heard, injury to a player brought in to make up the training numbers.

Maybe family issues, or simply given a rest week.
All hypothetical until the post world cup fall out happens.

Hard to keep up with the comings and goings, but I think May, Watson, Arundell, Coka, Malins, Daly and Marchant are all still in the squad. Even if there's a couple of injuries or whatever you'd have thought that would be enough to be getting on with….

For me Borthwick is showing his inexperience now

Players complained about the lack of clarity from Eddie Jones, so how will this announcing players leaving and announcing them as rejoining look?

He didn't have to release an updated squad right? So why did he do that just to change minds?

At what point do we announce the final Squad? Is it after the first warm up game?
Yeah, our RWC Squad gets announced on August 7th

Be interesting to know why that date - is that a World Rugby thing or self imposed? Considering we still have a number of walking wounded we'd want to a) get fit and b) get game time to see where their form/fitness is at before making the final call it'd be better off if it's the latter
Like do we name Chessum and hope he comes good? Don't name him but then he's actually gonna be fit and firing by then and miss out?
Plus the same with position competition, like Tom Willis will be on 1 cap at most when we have to decide whether to take him

For me Borthwick is showing his inexperience now

Players complained about the lack of clarity from Eddie Jones, so how will this announcing players leaving and announcing them as rejoining look?

He didn't have to release an updated squad right? So why did he do that just to change minds?
How much of it is him?

I imagine he doesn't want to talk outside of the camp at all and the PR people want some sort of Big Brother training camp where the public vote players in and out.

This is a happy medium of sorts.

Yeah, our RWC Squad gets announced on August 7th

Be interesting to know why that date - is that a World Rugby thing or self imposed? Considering we still have a number of walking wounded we'd want to a) get fit and b) get game time to see where their form/fitness is at before making the final call it'd be better off if it's the latter
Like do we name Chessum and hope he comes good? Don't name him but then he's actually gonna be fit and firing by then and miss out?
Plus the same with position competition, like Tom Willis will be on 1 cap at most when we have to decide whether to take him

If you believe Wiki the deadline is 1st September. According to the calendar below, Ireland has the latest scheduled announcement on 28th Aug.

If you believe Wiki the deadline is 1st September. According to the calendar below, Ireland has the latest scheduled announcement on 28th Aug.
If that's the case then it feels stupid to name it over 3 weeks earlier by choice.

Agreement with the clubs maybe, so they can sort their preseason without as much disruption?
Yeah that's the only good explanation I can think of - we did the same last time round (announced with three warmups remaining), can't imagine they'd do it unless they were forced to because it just seems dumb

But also seems dumb to force them to - the prem doesn't start until mid October, what does losing players for two additionals weeks in August really do to prep?

The press are actually in the England camp so I guess releasing the press release would stop any rumours but it's not a good look.

The wording should be different if they knew Murley was only gone for a week and then coming back. It would make sense to say that.

Ah SB is just having some fun giving all of us armchair managers something to get hot under the collar about...

Hes a witty guy...he puts on the dull facade for the media.... ;)

Latest posts