• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

The GBR pod with May said it was Defence, Set Piece, Break Down then attack. If i recall the coaches had to fight to get time for attack drills etc. Seems like situation no change.
I won't mind if there was clear progress on defence, set piece and the break down, but there isn't. Warburton and Barclay were talking about changing things in a week or two. Borthwick has had a year with no real improvement. On top, as we've said many times, the players actually appear to be a lot worse at international level. At least Wales have the excuse of most of them are kids. Yes the likes of Ford and Care may not have been starting regularly, but they are still very experienced. From where we are baby steps do not feel like enough and with the squad he's picked I feel in two years he'll just have to start again as players get older.

I won't mind if there was clear progress on defence, set piece and the break down, but there isn't. Warburton and Barclay were talking about changing things in a week or two. Borthwick has had a year with no real improvement. On top, as we've said many times, the players actually appear to be a lot worse at international level. At least Wales have the excuse of most of them are kids. Yes the likes of Ford and Care may not have been starting regularly, but they are still very experienced. From where we are baby steps do not feel like enough and with the squad he's picked I feel in two years he'll just have to start again as players get older.

On the older thing….

Front row: we're waiting for a whole new generation. Until then we're not really arguing with selection.

The row: Chessum and Martin are young. Itoje has a few years left.

Back row: Curry, Underhill and Earl should all be at peak years with plenty left in the tank. Ditto Dombrandt. CCS is young and exciting. Barbeary, Pearson and T Willis likely to become factors soon.

Half back: Barring injury first choice would have been Mitchell and M Smith both approaching peak years. JVP and F Smith also been blooded.

Centre: Lawrence should be inked in - he's still pretty young. Who knows on the AN Other?

Back 3: IFW, Freeman and Steward all young. Furbank only 27. A fit (OK….) Watson would have a couple of years left.

The issues are continuity of selection and coaching / game plan. With a few exceptions I think SB's first choice is actually comparatively young and relatively inexperienced.

On the older thing….

Front row: we're waiting for a whole new generation. Until then we're not really arguing with selection.

The row: Chessum and Martin are young. Itoje has a few years left.

Back row: Curry, Underhill and Earl should all be at peak years with plenty left in the tank. Ditto Dombrandt. CCS is young and exciting. Barbeary, Pearson and T Willis likely to become factors soon.

Half back: Barring injury first choice would have been Mitchell and M Smith both approaching peak years. JVP and F Smith also been blooded.

Centre: Lawrence should be inked in - he's still pretty young. Who knows on the AN Other?

Back 3: IFW, Freeman and Steward all young. Furbank only 27. A fit (OK….) Watson would have a couple of years left.

The issues are continuity of selection and coaching / game plan. With a few exceptions I think SB's first choice is actually comparatively young and relatively inexperienced.
I think that's a real stretch to say that lot are inexperienced.

I had to chuckle when I read "Daly says they want to entertain against Ireland" and "Wigglesworth, however, has called for patience from the Twickenham faithful while England continue to fine-tune their attack"
George keeps coming out with similar bull ****. Claiming they want to emulate the cricket team with Bazball.

The difference is the cricket team actually back up their words with actions.

Not a bad thing that Esterhuizen is leaving Harlequins at the end of the season. Some of the young English centres at the club might get a game.

Not a bad thing that Esterhuizen is leaving Harlequins at the end of the season. Some of the young English centres at the club might get a game.
Don't really feel like Esterhuizen is blocking anyone tbh. Beard, Joseph and Northmore are all 13s. Anyanwu isn't really the prospect he's sometimes made out to be - Quins will sign another foreigner before giving him the reins at 12 (although Lawrence is the rumour).

Don't really feel like Esterhuizen is blocking anyone tbh. Beard, Joseph and Northmore are all 13s. Anyanwu isn't really the prospect he's sometimes made out to be - Quins will sign another foreigner before giving him the reins at 12 (although Lawrence is the rumour).
Northmore could play 12. If Esterhuizen was out of the way he might get a run of games there.

Northmore could play 12. If Esterhuizen was out of the way he might get a run of games there.
This would be my preference actually. However, it does require a significant change of style from Quins which is going to take time to bed in.

This would be my preference actually. However, it does require a significant change of style from Quins which is going to take time to bed in.
I like Northmore a lot but the man cannot stay fit. With his injury record you can't build a squad around him being your primary 12 option.

I like Northmore a lot but the man cannot stay fit. With his injury record you can't build a squad around him being your primary 12 option.
This is true. However, there aren't many centres in the global game who are a like for like replacement for Andre and those that exist are most likely out of our reach (at least for now).

That means we need a change of style so we might as well consider internal options.

Warburton suggesting Steward should move to 12….
With Kata and Kelly I really can't see that happening at club level so shouldn't be considered at international level.

I think Furbank could make a great 12 as could Freeman but there is little chance of them getting club time there.

Olly Hartley is the same dimensions as Steward, more athletic, and actually plays 12. Of the young guys he's the one I see as having the highest ceiling in that shirt. Expect he'll be a regular starter for Sarries as of next season (with Lozowski presumably shifting to 10).

Latest posts