• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

It would be irresponsible to play Asher in senior international at his age - he's only 2months out from still being eligible for u18s

On the flip side of the same coin, I wonder if Beno Obano's injuries put him in the enviable position of being lightly used at an age when he could be coming to his peak..?

Aaron Reed being poached
Would be happy for him on a personal level but ****** off as a Sale and England fan - not that he was neccesarily close to an England cap, but if we're bringing back the A team permanently he'd be in contention for that with the form he's in, and losing him harms England's depth in a position we're seeing a lot of transition
Losing his EQP status harms Sale

Just **** the SRU, really

Would be happy for him on a personal level but ****** off as a Sale and England fan - not that he was neccesarily close to an England cap, but if we're bringing back the A team permanently he'd be in contention for that with the form he's in, and losing him harms England's depth in a position we're seeing a lot of transition
Losing his EQP status harms Sale

Just **** the SRU, really
I'm surprised no club has challenged the EQP law as it is currently implemented as it might well be against the law in terms of discrimination on the basis of national identity. In football it has never been brought in partly because if challenged it is not certain a similar law wouldn't be seen as illegal discrimination of the basis of national identity If it covers people born in the UK - and of course Football coubs have a lot more money to take something throigh the legal system.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no club has challenged the EQP law as it is currently implemented as it might well be against the law in terms of discrimination on the basis of national identity. In football it has never been brought in partly because if challenged it is not certain a similar law wouldn't be seen as illegal discrimination of the basis of national identity If it covers people born in the UK - and of course Football coubs have a lot more money to take something throigh the legal system.
It's an incentive not a law - you get a bonus if you play a certain amount of EQP players, you can load your side with as many foreign players as you want (like London Irish did the last few seasons) you just won't get the extra money from the RFU

It's an incentive not a law - you get a bonus if you play a certain amount of EQP players, you can load your side with as many foreign players as you want (like London Irish did the last few seasons) you just won't get the extra money from the RFU
It's still could be seen as discriminatory in terms of dividing British nationals into two categories based on identity.

Reed for me has higher upside than Roebuck.
I think Roebuck is ready now for International rugby I think Reed in a couple of seasons would be top class

I can see Roebuck joining Reed if not capped by the time the lions tour ends

Is Lewis Ludlam available or not ?

Scotland also beginning to really bug me with this poaching. The rules were setup to assist the Pacific nations. Not replace Scotland's whole rugby development system, which seemingly has all but mothballed in favour of poaching other nations players or bringing in South Africans who can't make the quota system

It's still could be seen as discriminatory in terms of dividing British nationals into two categories based on identity.
Nothing to do with identity though, it's to do with who you're capped by
It doesn't stop anyone from being employed or having different opportunities - it's just the RFU giving a bonus to it's clubs if they hit certain KPIs

Is Lewis Ludlam available or not ?
It's a weird one, from a quick google all I can find about his injury is "Luds has a high ankle sprain so we're still waiting to hear what the lay-off is for that," Dowson said. "He won't be available this week." - but that was back in November and he's not played since

Guessing a scan showed further damage? No idea if he's available for the 6N or not

The Scots really are utterly shameless in their level of poaching. The fact they aren't that far from being able to put out teams with more poaches than home grown players really says a lot.

Might be worth moving to the eligibility thread, but assuming Reed has a Scottish grandparent that seems fine. Would be grim to cap him for the sake of it, but do that a few times and people will start refusing call ups. He'd also be able to move back after the three years now.

The ineligible RL convert is very funny though.

I'm a fan of playing the in form players unless the incumbent has credit in the bank and is still performing well enough to not merit being changed. Furbank has looked good and I'd say get him in. Not every player we select needs to be our prospect for the whole world cup cycle, sometimes you just need someone playing well and let someone else try to take the shirt from them.

I think we get a bit too caught up in trying to put players in every position who we think may be the best 3 years down the line rather than just putting in who is the best now. Eg Spencer isn't one for the future but I'd say we definitely need him in given his form.
Playing furbank under sb is a waste of space

Nothing to do with identity though, it's to do with who you're capped by
It doesn't stop anyone from being employed or having different opportunities - it's just the RFU giving a bonus to it's clubs if they hit certain KPIs
Legally being capped would be seen as a form of national identity.

Legally being capped would be seen as a form of national identity.
Yet....it isn't, seeing as no one has an issue with it and it's never been raised before despite the amount of money hungry agents in the game who would love a payout for their client supposedly being discriminated against

Yet....it isn't, seeing as no one has an issue with it and it's never been raised before despite the amount of money hungry agents in the game who would love a payout for their client supposedly being discriminated against
It has been raised in football where any talk of England quotas have always been stopped because it might not be enforceable against English born but playing for another Nation.

It just costs a lot of money to take a court case.

Latest posts