• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

But we've only vaccinated up to 30 and over or made available to those, and only 46% with 2 doses. There is still a large % of the population not yet vaccinated, who could still catch it, transmit it and also get long Covid. Also vaccines aren't 100%, especially against new variants, such as B1.617.2 and B.1.351.
I can't argue with you other than at nearly 75% have a level of protection and we can all pick a number out of air for protection via already infected.
Always each to own on how we all see it as we want to.

I can't argue with you other than at nearly 75% have a level of protection and we can all pick a number out of air for protection via already infected.
Always each to own on how we all see it as we want to.
Well I agree to an extent, but I still think we should use the tools available and not just wait until case numbers against the not yet vaccinated and those who choose not to have one, rise and end up in hospital. Use LFTs And PCR testing and support those financially who test positive to self isolate; even trained sniffer dogs where necessary. Control, what we can control. That is why I am not against a vaccine passport to get the economy up and running again and avoid future lockdowns.

Variants will be a fact of life if the Government keep pussyfooting around which high risk countries to red list.

That is why I am not against a vaccine passport to get the economy up and running again and avoid future lockdowns.
Which age groups disprotiknately work in those jobs that are required to 'open up the economy'?

It's a completely unworkable system until everyone of working age has been fully vaccinated. Before you get into the philosophical discussion.

Which age groups disprotiknately work in those jobs that are required to 'open up the economy'?

It's a completely unworkable system until everyone of working age has been fully vaccinated. Before you get into the philosophical discussion.
They need to be tested more regularly Then And be able to prove negative status. it's not unworkable if there is a will to make it Work. Unfortunately, we are still worried about discriminating against those who haven't or won't get vaccinated. J & J vaccine may change things with one jab and speeding up those in 18-30.

Indian Variant is the Covid we have , vaccines seem to provide a wall.
I'm not concerned other than for age groups who can't be vaccinated.
I have no sympathy for those who chose not to.
This is of course personal opinion and choice which all allowed.
Are you sure? I thought that 80% of those infected in the Finnish hospital outbreak had received at least one vaccine. We have enough evidence now to say with confidence that vaccines massively reduce the chance of becoming seriously ill with current strains of covid, but is there enough data yet to say that they offer the same level of protection against long covid?

Are you sure? I thought that 80% of those infected in the Finnish hospital outbreak had received at least one vaccine. We have enough evidence now to say with confidence that vaccines massively reduce the chance of becoming seriously ill with current strains of covid, but is there enough data yet to say that they offer the same level of protection against long covid?
Looking at Bolton hospitalized 59 new varient, only 5 were either 1 or 2 dosed .
Fair to assume vaccine provides 90% protection real world figures in real time,of course I'm no expert but numbers at present seem to suggest vaccine doing its job.

Looking at Bolton hospitalized 59 new varient, only 5 were either 1 or 2 dosed .
Fair to assume vaccine provides 90% protection real world figures in real time,of course I'm no expert but numbers at present seem to suggest vaccine doing its job.

Only one of the 6 had received both and he or she was described as "frail". We also don't know how long after first or second dose the 6 caught the virus, especially as antibodies produced are at their optimum at least 2 weeks after the jab.

On another note, one potential benefit of Covid (not saying it was worthwhile, but that something good can come out of this) is that it has kick started the vaccine sector. Apparently the whole sector was very stagnant and risk averse, These mRNA vaccines could have been tested on other diseases earlier, but there was a lot of hesitancy around them. Now they have been shown they can work and the speed at which they can be developed, it should lead to better vaccines against other diseases.

On another note, one potential benefit of Covid (not saying it was worthwhile, but that something good can come out of this) is that it has kick started the vaccine sector. Apparently the whole sector was very stagnant and risk averse, These mRNA vaccines could have been tested on other diseases earlier, but there was a lot of hesitancy around them. Now they have been shown they can work and the speed at which they can be developed, it should lead to better vaccines against other diseases.

you're not wrong but i think i also read that several vaccine programmes were/are severely set back because so many resources were diverted to COVID, overs and unders and all

If this turns out to be accurate then it's worrying.

Obviously needs confirming. Hopefully the government won't sod about if it starts to spread to other countries.

Hopefully nip it in the bud. Don't know how good Vietnam's mass testing is.

PA Media quoted the prime minister's spokesman as saying:

"I was going to point to what the PM said on Thursday.

"The prime minister has said on a number of occasions that we haven't seen anything in the data but we will continue to look at the data, we will continue to look at the latest scientific evidence as we move through June towards 21 June."

Last Thursday, Johnson said "I don't see anything currently in the data" to divert from the 21 June. But he did concede that "we may need to wait" for more data.

(This is Damien Gayle at the controls of the live blog for the next hour or so, while Nicola has a break.)

Is Bojo heading for another repeat?

Latest posts