• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

British and Irish Lions Tour: Referee Chat

Didn't see much of a slip anyway. Watson was in the process of being tackled, but was on his two feet. He's a pretty short guy and SBW just flew in needlessly to make a big hit. SBW seems like a great dedicated athlete and a stand up guy, but that was idiotic Rugby League style posturing.

I reckon that under pressure, he can tend to revert to type.

Just to reiterate..

checkbox_checked.png
No Arms

checkbox_checked.png
Impact with head

checkbox_checked.png
With force

Straight red card for me, no question, even with the slip, because it was a shoulder charge. Slipping by the ball carrier is only relevant for mitigation if he was trying to wrap.

Just to reiterate..

checkbox_checked.png
No Arms

checkbox_checked.png
Impact with head

checkbox_checked.png
With force

Straight red card for me, no question, even with the slip, because it was a shoulder charge. Slipping by the ball carrier is only relevant for mitigation if he was trying to wrap.
Oh it was a red card regardless yeah, but I could understand a guy getting his timing wrong if a guy slips into him, but it was an awful hit that let his team down. Won't keep a jersey with ABs if he costs them a game again.

garces gave new zealand the scrum after a maul that they brought the ball into... it was after a lineout

it was after a dropout

that was worst call of game

79th minute, we're down by 2 points and clearing from a ruck just to the left of the posts and 20m out from our opponent's goal line. Would I have a pre-planned move for the SH to pass high so that the 10 has to jump to catch the pass? You bet I would, especially now!
and the other team is perfectly capable of telling their players to make damn sure the guy is on the ground before they tackle him

Just to reiterate..

checkbox_checked.png
No Arms

checkbox_checked.png
Impact with head

checkbox_checked.png
With force

What will you do, stab them with your toothpick legs?

**** i'm going to get a flight from to Gatwick and show you how we fight in the north.
To be fair if they were SJWs it would be the battle of the skinny jeans.
Come on then, I'm between the Next and Wetherspoons. I'll be the one who smells and looks like someone 40 days into a daring hunger strike dirty protest combo.

Exactly = yellow card. High = yellow card. Two yellow cards = one red card. To my mind that was perfectly justified. I played my first game of rugby in 1963. Both actions were illegal even then.
My PE master would have given anyone jumping on a rugby field (other than in a line out, of course) a slap round the backside with a plimsoll. The AB should have competed for the ball. That's the modern way. Having played wing forward for many years my eyes would have lit up if an oppo had got hospital pass like that. Those are the rules these days. If I had got a pass like that I would probably expect to get clattered and given my half-back a kicking behind the bike sheds later, but times change, not always for the better. Some of the rule changes in "recent" times are for the best. Some are absolute balderdash. Rugby is a contact sport (unlike Association Football) and there will always be injury. Sometimes serious injury, same as there will always be in boxing, cricket etc.

Edit: Meant to quote a couple of posts above

Last edited:
To be fair if they were SJWs it would be the battle of the skinny jeans.
Come on then, I'm between the Next and Wetherspoons. I'll be the one who smells and looks like someone 40 days into a daring hunger strike dirty protest combo.

Next and spoons sounds like a wild combo.

LL7D7Zi.gif

I fail to see how anyone can defend this in any way, shape or form

EDIT: I can't seem to see images on the thread so apologies if this is a duplicate, if not and you cant see too - http://i.imgur.com/LL7D7Zi.gifv (backup link)

Last edited:
I like how you can see his head go inside his torso like a turtle.
If this was the Looney tunes he'd be walking around like an accordion now

and the other team is perfectly capable of telling their players to make damn sure the guy is on the ground before they tackle him

1. If they know its happening.

2. By the time they "don't" tackle him, he will be long gone and heading for the try line... win/win

Can't see the lions players getting cited.

I mean it was no different to what Sam Cane did on Jonathon Davies last weekend.
https://twitter.com/mike_cantillon/status/879710203901607936

@smartcooky I saw you mention in the match thread that you think Mako should have gotten a red card for his "clearout" of BB (I'm staying out of that discussion because I can't remember it well enough to judge, I thought yellow was fine at the time but I'm, obviously, biased towards Mako), just to play devils advocate do you think this challenge is cardable? I've gotta say I'm surprised it's not been cited, it's a pretty clear cut elbow/forearm to the face.
From my memory of the Mako incident, and this, they're pretty similar - both attempting to clearout a guy that didn't need to be cleared out, really, and doing it recklessly making contact with the head.

Latest posts