• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Referee decisions during World Cup

In North American Sport, referees and officials are paid Big $$$. NFL referees earn on average, $200000 for 16 weeks of work. They make considerably more if they also referee in the playoffs, something like $100000 a game. NHL referees make, at the top end, around $350000 a year.

Top tier Rugby referees I've heard come somewhere under $200000 a year but they have to work ALOT MORE to make that.

Want to retain good refereeing talent, the pay needs to come up.

$200,000?!

Knock a zero off, maybe.
£696 a game for top tier refs in the premiership in 2014:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...benefits-officiating-Premiership-matches.html
Presumably gone up a chunk now so maybe a grand a game? Maximum of £26k a season if you ref every round and playoffs.
yeah, Barnes is losing money being at the world cup if he's not using Paid time off. Have to remember tha rugby players are mostly making upper-middle class salaries with a few people earning huge amounts of money. Can't expect referees to be paid more than players.

$200,000?!

Knock a zero off, maybe.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...benefits-officiating-Premiership-matches.html
Presumably gone up a chunk now so maybe a grand a game? Maximum of £26k a season if you ref every round and playoffs.

I was referring really to referees who do internationals. The $200,000 number came from this article:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/8...he-highs-and-lows-of-the-hardest-job-in-rugby

They mentioned in the article that Glen Jackson refereed 34 matches in a season and spent +180 days away from home. That's a lot of work for not a lot of compensation.

I was referring really to referees who do internationals. The $200,000 number came from this article:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/8...he-highs-and-lows-of-the-hardest-job-in-rugby

They mentioned in the article that Glen Jackson refereed 34 matches in a season and spent +180 days away from home. That's a lot of work for not a lot of compensation.
200,000 nzd is like 127k usd. Which for a full time job that requires 180 days away from home is quite ****.

And doing top level amatuer games in the United States you only get mileage. I got $7 for a women's D1 game cause it was in the same town I lived in at the time.

Pay differs depending on the union. They want to spend a lot of money on exchanges and education but that doesn't leave much money for the local refs.

USA Rugby paid for me to live in South Africa for a bit so they are trying, rugby just isn't a rich sport. I know in England outside of the pro games referees don't make much.

Can't expect referees to be paid more than players.
Why not?
Of you want quality, you should pay the wages necessary to secure quality.
I see no reason that an international ref should be considered less important than an international player, or less well payed. Same for professional or semi-professional club matches.

If you pay peanuts, you'll be hiring monkeys

Why not?
Of you want quality, you should pay the wages necessary to secure quality.
I see no reason that an international ref should be considered less important than an international player, or less well payed. Same for professional or semi-professional club matches.

If you pay peanuts, you'll be hiring monkeys
because there's more competition for players than there is for referees. Also look at who's paying the referees. Teams would have to give more money to the premiership to pay refs more when they could use that money to pay for better players. Market forces do exist and they don't work in referees favors.

Which is entirely cyclical.

So there's not enough ref.s because there's not enough money, and the reason that there's not enough money is that there not enough ref.s.
Clubs don't want to set money aside to pay ref.s properly, but do want to complain as nauseam about the lack of quality ref.s

If you're only willing to pay peanuts, you lose the right to complain that you can o my hire monkeys.

a Lot of things in life tend to be cyclical. I view referees the way I view teachers. Both are super important. Both are undervalued by the people who determine their salaries. Both have enough people interested in the job that the jobs will be fulfilled but maybe not at the quality that we want.

$200,000?!

Knock a zero off, maybe.
During the time this was doing the rounds Bristol were in the championship and playing against one of the rival clubs away... was chatting to hard-core supporters and staff pitchside and this came up as a well known ref was in charge... at half time as the opposition DoR/Coach was coming off after speaking to ref regarding high tackles and the like a member of the group who knew the coach asked how much said ref and other prem refs were earning. His answer was not sure exactly and waited for numbers to be thrown starting at 40k. The correct was inferred at least £60-80,000. When the figures in media were asked of him he laughed with a knowing wink and smile, "no".

Now I'm not sure if they're flat out wrong or if there are bonuses and add-ons but premiership refs making the equivalent of living wage PA doesn't appear to be correct. It surprised me at the time as logically they should be earning more than that too and this was all but confirmation, coupled with minor embarrassment for pushing the not very well paid narrative. Would also be more in line with 200k NZD and the like otherwise why wouldn't more refs go there and earn upwards of 4x the current amount alongside a higher standard of living?

Anecdotal, I know, but make of that what you will.

Last edited:
As a seperate note from the matchday threads, I do wonder why one of Poite, Gauzere and Gardner couldn't be handed the SF for Eng V NZ. As much as I trust Nige to not introduce anymore conscious bias (I say this a neutral preconception about the teams pregame) than he normally would it has to effect his unconscious bias must have something to say about who he'd prefer to play Wales if they made the final. I'd just prefer a true neutral.

As a seperate note from the matchday threads, I do wonder why one of Poite, Gauzere and Gardner couldn't be handed the SF for Eng V NZ. As much as I trust Nige to not introduce anymore conscious bias (I say this a neutral preconception about the teams pregame) than he normally would it has to effect his unconscious bias must have something to say about who he'd prefer to play Wales if they made the final. I'd just prefer a true neutral.

As Kaplan points out and he will likely have better insight into WR's thinking on refs and hierarchy, WR have their 4 main men at the top. He posted his article before the RWC, but he was spot on with the 4 who got the QFs. Maybe WR could have promoted Poite, after Peyper's faux pas.

Gardner appears to shot himself in the foot with his performances in the pool stages. Gauzere - can't say I know enough about his performances so far to comment.

In North American Sport, referees and officials are paid Big $$$. NFL referees earn on average, $200000 for 16 weeks of work. They make considerably more if they also referee in the playoffs, something like $100000 a game. NHL referees make, at the top end, around $350000 a year.

Top tier Rugby referees I've heard come somewhere under $200000 a year but they have to work ALOT MORE to make that.

Irrespective of currency, I think this point is entirely valid. Refereeing, even internationally, is not an attractive career choice. It is a labour of love that involves sacrifice and a lot of potential top talent won't touch it with a barge-pole.

A kor of players dont earn that

Farrell receiving the lightest of light pushes in the face.

Pretty insane that anyone could consider that worse than pretending to be hurt to milk a penalty. One act was, well, it was nothing. The other was cold and calcualated cynical play

cant palm someone to the face off the ball. He's lucky to only get a penalty. No one outside of New Zealand thinks that's a dive.

Farrell receiving the lightest of light pushes in the face.

Pretty insane that anyone could consider that worse than pretending to be hurt to milk a penalty. One act was, well, it was nothing. The other was cold and calcualated cynical play

This is really clutching at straws. Especially considering that NZ got multiple card warnings.

I put it to you that everyone outside New Zealand is so anti New Zealand that they can't see this straight. The force was nothing, therefore it is not possible to claim it wasn't a dive. You can't get hurt from that push. He pretended he was hurt when he wasn't. That's the definition of a dive.
No, the definition of a dive is falling when there is no contact. Did he embellish? Yes. Did he act like something happened when it didn't? No.

Latest posts