• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

AP Final: Northampton Saints V Saracens, SAT 15:00 BST

Saw the game from the 30minute mark as all I can say is Jp Doyle is a joke never liked him as a referee was so poor with many decisions gave Burrell a penalty for a deliberate knock on but no card, that try in my opinion wasn't a try he fell short then rolled the ball and the guy seemed to go through corbisiero first so obstruction and Northamptons line outs were never straight most of the time but weren't given but having said that I thought myler had a good game as did north and Courtney lawes what a tackle on Hodgson hopefully he does the same down under!!

Except I live in the Midlands and most of my club are saints fans (with a smattering of Tigers and Warriors....and me) :p

Ah! now I have an image of you sat in the corner of your club bar, in full sale kit, at a table on your own , nursing a half drunk pint while the other end of the bar a raucous party ensues.

:)

I enjoyed the game, course that might be me being deluded watching it at 2am this morning. Thought it was a exciting final

Maybe I'll have to watch it again, then. I seem to be in the vast minority in finding it dull as hell.

.... that try in my opinion wasn't a try he fell short then rolled the ball!

To be fair, he did not give that try it was the TMO and, I believe, his words seem to indicate he would not give it but was overruled by the TMO...he is widely held in good repute and was lauded for his semi final display between Saints and Leicester and for comparison you should have seen Bardos ref the Top 14 Final......off you feet, play on, crooked feed, no problem, line outs whatever you want!!

Rolling counts as momentum in the same way that diving, landing short of the line and sliding over it does.

Ashton scored a try in Sarries' season opener in the same fashion.

Yea that is true as far as the last try goes I'll let him off that one! But as Ben Kay himself even said was terrible inconsistency! And I think the point Healy raised about people diving over blocking the ball coming out (which there aloud to do under the rules) needs to be changed! But as for him being held in high regard I'm sorry totally disagree but what's done is done hey ho! Now for England against the all blacks!!!

sorry if this has already been raised but from what I saw after Doyle awarded the sarries try it was the tmo who contacted him to say he wasn't happy and that Doyle should review. I didn't know that was in the tmo 's remit surely once the try is given that's it? Yes it was the right call but I would be livid if I was a Sarries fan . The tmo in my opinion interfered without the ref requesting . surely that is not on and will only spoil the game , why bother with a ref and let the tmo send down his decisions if this is the case . apologies if I got this wrong.

But....it was a forward pass.
Sarries can be furious if they want, but if they'd have won because of that/a law technicality then it'd be the hollowest of hollow victories.

I've got no problems with the TMO asking if he wants the referee to check something, as the referee can't see anything, I see this as no different to a touch judge asking. I've seen before where a TMO has mentioned to a referee that there'd been foul play in back play, and they've gone and checked and seen it.
No idea if this is technically allowed (I imagine not, from the amount of winging coming from some fez heads) but it should be, imo.

It's absurd that a TMO can't act like a linesman - but it is absurd if a game of that magnitude is decided by an official acting completely out of line of protocol.

We have long said that we don't mind if refs get the odd one wrong as long as they're consistent - was this action consistent? I don't know.

I've been saying this for a bit now but the way the game is reffed needs to be reviewed and improved drastically. If the game is to continue growing, then there cannot be a perception of the ref being the most important figure on the pitch.

I know the pass was forward , as I said the call was correct I just feel tmo's should only offer their opinion when asked . Otherwise we could have every passage of play scrutinised to death, which would ruin our great game. Im not sure about the winning try either too , massive call, I honestly could not tell, big big call . To lose the prem final on the opinion of one man when even the ref said he could not tell must leave a bad taste.

I felt the winning try was knocked on in the grounding...

It was a forward pass, and I have no issues with the TMO among it, but not 3 minutes later.

I felt the winning try was knocked on in the grounding...

It wasn't - there was a camera angle (from behind him - filming the soles of his feet/back) that clearly showed his hand in constant contact with the ball.

It wasn't - there was a camera angle (from behind him - filming the soles of his feet/back) that clearly showed his hand in constant contact with the ball.

Agree...brave call but easily the correct decision and, for me, I would prefer for the best side, in this case, Saints, to win rather than the for them to lose by virtue of an error by the officials.

I did think it really weird that the try was given and then rescinded as I do believe the decision of the ref should be final but the correct decision was made without any doubt. Also although Doyle was not willing or going to give the winning try, the TMO strongly committed himself to giving it and it was, again, the right decision.

Superb match. Great defence, but two amazing tries from Saints.

Thank you, English rugby.

I watched the final and the quality of rugby was excellent, without a shadow of a doubt way more exciting than the rubbish Super Rugby.

That's the angle i'm basing it on. To me it looks like it leaves his hands/he doesn't have control.

The other angles don't really show anything.

Latest posts