• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks squad announced Sunday

errrr.... have you watched him play this season? he's been unstoppable at 12 for the blues, usually takes 3-4 defenders to take him down

plus.... he's only 24 years old for crying out loud. Been around a while and not good enough? how good was conrad smith when he was 24? Should he have been passed over as not good enough at 24?

maybe someone can digup his defenders beaten and line break stats for the year, I wouldn't be surprised if he was #1 for NZ midfielders.

Yes I have watched him. But I've also watched Buckman and Ngatai and they are better.

Yes I have watched him. But I've also watched Buckman and Ngatai and they are better.

I wouldn't say they were better I would say they are different.

The All Blacks will want to maintain a physical presence in the midfield which is currently supplied by Nonu & SBW, next inline being Fekitoa. The Nonu & Smith combo has become a blueprint for what works.

In terms of ball Running Physicality and tackle busting. Moala has completely overshadowed Fekitoa this season.

IMO, Moala has been the blues player of the season. It's a no contest really with Kaino out for so long. He's basically been the one thing that worked for the blues this year.

Ngatai's problem is his constant injury issues. A guy with his talent and skillset is a really good candidate to potentially fill a Conrad Smith type role but he very rarely gets more than 3 games in a row before he's back on the injury list.

I wouldn't say they were better I would say they are different.

The All Blacks will want to maintain a physical presence in the midfield which is currently supplied by Nonu & SBW, next inline being Fekitoa. The Nonu & Smith combo has become a blueprint for what works.

In terms of ball Running Physicality and tackle busting. Moala has completely overshadowed Fekitoa this season.

IMO, Moala has been the blues player of the season. It's a no contest really with Kaino out for so long. He's basically been the one thing that worked for the blues this year.

Ngatai's problem is his constant injury issues. A guy with his talent and skillset is a really good candidate to potentially fill a Conrad Smith type role but he very rarely gets more than 3 games in a row before he's back on the injury list.

He's under Umaga now, which is really good for him. Has he signed on for Auckland ITM team again?

Buckman isn't someone I would like to see at 12. I just don't think he has the power in his game to get over the advantage line at the international level. Larksea is correct that the selectors clearly want someone at 12 who is big, strong and powerful. Nonu, SBW and Moala all fit that criteria. Buckman's best position to me is probably fullback but we have a lot of talent there. Ngatai isn't as powerful as Nonu but as Reagan says is a balanced player who kicks the ball.

Buckman isn't someone I would like to see at 12. I just don't think he has the power in his game to get over the advantage line at the international level. Larksea is correct that the selectors clearly want someone at 12 who is big, strong and powerful. Nonu, SBW and Moala all fit that criteria. Buckman's best position to me is probably fullback but we have a lot of talent there. Ngatai isn't as powerful as Nonu but as Reagan says is a balanced player who kicks the ball.

I suspect Ngatai is still injured, or he probably would be in for the Samoan test, because of his ability to play 12 and 13, make line breaks, and organise and solidify the back line. The chiefs best games have been when he's been in the midfield this season.

SBW is likely to be the 12 against Samoa, so will Moala be at 13, or maybe on the wing?

Buckman is more in the mold of Smith. I'd rather see him in the mix and we need a player of his quality at centre, once Smith goes.

Last edited:
not the idea of the larger squad, the idea of not picking anyone playing in the final. If there are guys playing in the final that are NOT in the squad why should they miss out on playing for the AB's

People have been talking about Osborne in the AB's quite happily. but now, even though he is NOT in the squad and assuming the Highlanders make the final (big IF) he would be over looked for the samoa game?

i do feel like i'm missing something

Gaahhh, c'mon Jabby. Concentrate.

The Super Rugby play offs are on the Saturday. The Samoa test is on the next Wednesday. Clearly they don't want to risk player welfare by putting them in two high intensity matches with only three days separating them. Clearly if they were willing to do that, then every player in the 41 squad would be eligable. If your reasoning is that 'it's their bodies - let them do what they want' - then I'm sure a tonne of the 41 squad players would love the extra chance to have a crack in what should be a very winnable game.

I suspect Ngatai is still injured, or he probably would be in for the Samoan test, because of his ability to play 12 and 13, make line breaks, and organise and solidify the back line. The chiefs best games have been when he's been in the midfield this season.

SBW is likely to be the 12 against Samoa, so will Moala be at 13, or maybe on the wing?

Could be but I'm under the impression that Crotty may be started at 13 for Samoa. I reckon we'll at least see Moala take the bench as he's really the only back up for the centres outside of the Canes/ Landers' players. His versatility is handy too.

This is the squad I'm predicting for Samoa (with the assumption that the Landers/ Canes players won't be involved) - it's probably really wrong as Hansen will try things but nevertheless:

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Hika Elliot
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino (if fit) - Messam if not
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read
9. Andy Ellis
10. Daniel Carter
11. James Lowe (would probs be called up)
12. SBW
13. Ryan Crotty
14. Charles Piutau
15. Israel Dagg

16. Keven Mealamu
17. Joe Moody
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Luke Romano
20. Richie McCaw/ Liam Messam
21. Brad Weber
22. Colin Slade
23. George Moala

Weber in as I think I heard TKB won't play in this one. There's probably some that have been announced that won't be played that I've missed.

Hope we don't pick up any injuries in this game. It's always a worry playing the Island teams because they are very physical and get up for these types of games.

What the hell has of ofa tuangafasi done to be a all black? 5 out of the 6 props are not from hurricanes \Highlanders team so it isn't a replacement. Must be selected on warrant. What!!! Man can't scrum and drops nearly every ball his way.

What about Jeffrey toomaga Allen, reg Goode's, josh honeck??

Makes no sense.

Stoked moala is in there. Boy is a special player and reminds me very much of Nonu the way he plays

tuangafasi & Moala have not joined the squad, they just trained with the All Blacks in auckland, local players joining in on training is nothing new. But they are usually players the Selectors are interested in.

There is potential for Moala to play against Samoa though if it's a Canes vs Landers final

on tkb my understanding is he plays for his club then he plays for the Maori All Blacks then he will be available for the All Blacks in the first Rugby Championship test.

and that's the bit i'm missing, thought the samoa game was the next weekend and just wanted to give players a rest, makes sense now

Buckman

you know I think people will call me stupid for saying this but I wonder how close Richard Buckman is to all black selection.

he can play anywhere 12-15

He's had a big influence since he returned to the highlanders from injury.

huge workload and low error rate
tackles anything, makes tackles that save trys and force turnovers on a regular basis
full skillset
makes excellent decisions
has a tidy attacking game

Perspicacious, Lsea. Maybe a better Conrad than Conrad.

Maori All Blacks announced:

FORWARDS
Hookers
Joe Royal
Ash Dixon
Quentin MacDonald

Props
Chris Eves
Brendon Edmonds
Josh Hohneck
Ben May

Locks
Hayden Triggs
Jacob Skeen
Blade Thomson

Loose forwards
Shane Christie
Elliot Dixon
Akira Ioane
Heiden Bedwell-Curtis
Mitchell Crosswell

BACKS

Halfbacks
Jamison Gibson-Park
Brad Weber

First five-eighth
Damian McKenzie
Otere Black

Midfield backs
Jason Emery
Charlie Ngatai (c)
Sean Wainui

Outside backs
Kurt Baker
Rieko Ioane
Marty McKenzie
Matt Proctor
Codey Rei

Pretty exciting side. Really like the balanced nature of Ngatai (he can kick well too) and I reckon he's a definite contender for an ABs spot next year onwards, hopefully he performs. Will be exciting how some of these others go as well.

Could be but I'm under the impression that Crotty may be started at 13 for Samoa. I reckon we'll at least see Moala take the bench as he's really the only back up for the centres outside of the Canes/ Landers' players. His versatility is handy too.

This is the squad I'm predicting for Samoa (with the assumption that the Landers/ Canes players won't be involved) - it's probably really wrong as Hansen will try things but nevertheless:

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Hika Elliot
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino (if fit) - Messam if not
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read
9. Andy Ellis
10. Daniel Carter
11. James Lowe (would probs be called up)
12. SBW
13. Ryan Crotty
14. Charles Piutau
15. Israel Dagg

16. Keven Mealamu
17. Joe Moody
18. Charlie Faumuina
19. Luke Romano
20. Richie McCaw/ Liam Messam
21. Brad Weber
22. Colin Slade
23. George Moala

Weber in as I think I heard TKB won't play in this one. There's probably some that have been announced that won't be played that I've missed.

If James Lowe is indeed injured, maybe they start Dagg, Piutau, and Slade as their back three, with perhaps someone from the fsuper final providing cover from the bench. Maybe if Milner-Skudder doesn't recover in time for the Super final, he could come into the reckoning for the Samoan test?

Ive seen a few articles that suggest that Matt Todd might get the first crack at the open side, and McCaw on the bench.
i wouldn't be surprised if Mealamu starts, given that it's Samoa, but other than that, I think your line up will be pretty close to the team that's named

yeah, Sam Cane had a huge workload this year and is expected to be rested.

Regan, think your team is fairly accurate. I did read one scribe say that Mealamu and Todd will probably be in the 15 though.

Latest posts