5. Owen Franks
6. Charlie Faumuina

(One to be omitted for cup)

Hookers:
7. Dane Coles
8. Kevin Mealamu
9. Hika Elliot
10. Liam Coltman

(One to be omitted for cup. Could very well be of parsons over coltman but coltman had a blinder last game and I think he's better)

Locks:
11. Brodie Retallick
12. Sam Whitelock
13. Luke Ramano
14. Jeremy Thrush
15. James Broadhurst *

(One to be omitted for cup)

Backrow:
16. Liam Messam
17. Jerome Kaino
18. Victor Vito
19. Richie McCaw
20. Sam Cane
21. Matt Todd
22. Kieran Read

(Two omitted for cup. Would have luatua over Vito but pretty sure he won't be fit)

Halfbacks:
23. Aaron Smith
24. Tj Perenara
25. Brad Weber *
26. Andy Ellis

(One to be omitted)

First Fives:
27. Dan Carter
28. Beuden Barrett
29. Colin Slade
30. Lima Sopoaga*

(One to be omitted)

Centers:
31. Maa Nonu
32. Sonny Bill Williams
33. Malakai Fekitoa
34. Conrad Smith
35. Ryan Crotty

(One to be omitted)

Outside backs:
36. Julian Savea
37. Patrick Osbourne*
38. Cory Jane
39. Waisake Naholo*
40. Ben Smith
41. Israel Dagg

(Two to be omitted)

yeah a 41 man squad kinda makes it boring, expect basically all the fringe players to be selected and we wont know if any big changes are going to happen till the squad is narrowed down.

two players that stick out for me that I hope get a good deal and maybe even selection in the final concentrated squad.

1, Matt Todd - the guy is a fricken beast and he's been on fire. yes we have Cane and McCaw but they can all cover other positions Well. With Luatua injured, Kaino spent a lot of time injured, Vito IMO a bit hit and miss and injury prone too, I dont know what it is with Vito I just cant like him, so often he will look like hes having a good game then after 70min his stats will flash up and somehow he will have managed to go almost an entire game and only be credited with 2 tackles? I mean WTF? To me it seems Vito always looks good early in the game and then when things get tight he goes missing. Vito's biggest asset has been his lineout work, but in WC rugby the loosies can't be tided up at the lineout they need to be at the rucks and in the defensive line, plus Read, McCaw, Kaino, Messam, all good lineout options if needed. We can't hide guys like that in test rugby I see Matt Todd as someone the All Blacks can count on to be fit, effective and give 100% when needed. A guy who will make 20 tackles if needed in a tough tight game. He's already had test caps and played bloody well for the All Blacks.

Another part to this argument is that during the last WC Vito and Adam Thomson were the backup loose forwards and they spend a fair amount of time in the squad injured. Which forced Kaino to play much more than he should have and he was a spent force by the time the final arrived. The backup guys need to be durable. part of their job is to eas th workload of the top guys early in the tournament and during the Rugby Championship.

2, Patrick Osbourne - size, experienced, x-factor, a whole range of skills, combination with Ben Smith and I feel like his game and the way he plays suits All Black rugby. More so than Naholo.

New/fringe players I expect to make the final 31 man squad are: James Broadhurst, Brad Weber & Hika Elliot.

I want to see the selectors be a bit smarter about the style of rugby they will play or may be forced to play. I look at 2011 when at the last moment they dropped Liam Messam then when the knockout matches came along the all Blacks gameplan became very pick and go focused, it was understandable given tight games and pressuring defense. Ok but Messam was arguably the best and most prolific exponent of the pick and go in super rugby that year yet you cut him at the last minute?

- - - Updated - - -

lastly, one name that should actually start popping up in these conversations is Elliot Dixon.

- - - Updated - - -

lastly, one name that should actually start popping up in these conversations is Elliot Dixon.

Last edited:
You gotta say Hosea gear has to be given a chance, as Cory looks injured. Is Charles piutau still injured?

One player I wish to God Hansen would move on from is Dagg. We have so many better options than this guy. Especially given his injuries this season.

Cory Jane is also constantly injured.. waste of time, we can afford to take some new players in the outside backs with the experience we already have there, that will add a lot more to the squad.

Also Reggie Goodes might get a sniff.

Dixon has been great, but the AB's have so many good established loose forwards he doesn't really stand a chance. Josh Hohneck might though .

Last edited:
Hosea Gear wasn't good enough to play for the Chiefs. He deserves nothing. If anyone deserves a chance it is Jane but even he would be lucky to be in the 41 man squad. Personally, I would give NMS - he has all the skills.

There's No way Hosea gear will make it. Even if piutau is fit I don't think hell make it bar injury call up. Think Hansen's quite ****** at him...

I think as its a world cup players like Dixon, Goode's, hohneck will miss out. Rather positions where we genuinely need depth I.e. wing, halfback will see experimentation. We are stacked with backrow players and props. Done. Have the depth and quality to get us through the cup.

Nene milner skuddler deserves selection but who to replace? Israel dagg would be the hot favourite here.

I once remember Hansen saying that Cory Jane is as impprtant to the squad ad McCaw and carter. So don't think he will be cut

I've heard Hosea has been dropped due to him still being on the Gear....

The grapevine also mentioned that Nana Nonu has turned down a spot in the squad to concentrate on his role at the teletubbies...

I'll show myself out.

One player I wish to God Hansen would move on from is Dagg. We have so many better options than this guy. Especially given his injuries this season.

Cory Jane is also constantly injured.. waste of time, we can afford to take some new players in the outside backs with the experience we already have there, that will add a lot more to the squad.

Also Reggie Goodes might get a sniff.

Dixon has been great, but the AB's have so many good established loose forwards he doesn't really stand a chance. Josh Hohneck might though .

spot on, Dagg and Jane have been great players but have failed to get anywhere near their form in 2011. they've been on a decline ever since and I think the Abs will be better off looking to towards the future in players like milner-skudder, Naholo etc.

If you guys aren't gonna take Milner-Skudder to the WC can we borrow him? Please? It'll only be for 1 tournament...

spot on, Dagg and Jane have been great players but have failed to get anywhere near their form in 2011. they've been on a decline ever since and I think the Abs will be better off looking to towards the future in players like milner-skudder, Naholo etc.

I agree but tbh Jane has never been anywhere the player he is in the Black jersey for the Canes. He steps up when it matters, same applies for Dagg. I want Milner-Skudder to get selected as much as the next guy but there's no way he's replacing Dagg/ Jane unless one of them gets injured. No way is Hansen risking potential over experience. I'd much rather have Jane or Dagg over a young gun like Nehe in a World Cup final. I do however agree that Dagg is by far the inferior between the 2. Wouldn't mind seeing Ardie at the WC too but the same applies unfortunately. Basically injuries are key for these blokes.

Faumuina in doubt according to nz herald. They haven't specified if its for the season or just for this 41 man squad.

Tomaga Allen or nepo lalaula could be in with shot.

If hes gone for cup could be good news for Joe moody/ Ben franks as it means there's now enough room for both of them in the 31 WC squad.

I think he's an asset faumuina and would be a big loss.. I know a lot of people on this forum don't rate him but he's a class act.

Out of the fringe players Matt Todd is the most important to be selected to me. IMO he is clearly the best 7 in nz. I honestly think he's way better than Cane and Mccaw.

well the squad has been named, and it's a good one:

ALL BLACKS SQUAD
Hookers
Dane Coles - Hurricanes / Wellington (27)
Hikawera Elliot - Chiefs / Poverty Bay (3)
Keven Mealamu - Blues / Auckland (123)
Codie Taylor - Crusaders / Canterbury *
Props
Wyatt Crockett - Crusaders / Canterbury (27)
Charlie Faumuina - Blues / Auckland (20)
Ben Franks - Hurricanes / Hawke's Bay (31)
Owen Franks - Crusaders / Canterbury (57)
Joe Moody - Crusaders / Canterbury (8)
Tony Woodcock - Blues /North Harbour (110)
Locks
James Broadhurst - Hurricanes / Taranaki *
Brodie Retallick - Chiefs / Bay of Plenty (36)
Luke Romano - Crusaders / Canterbury (17)
Jeremy Thrush - Hurricanes / Wellington (11)
Sam Whitelock - Crusaders / Canterbury (62)
Loose forwards
Sam Cane - Chiefs / Bay of Plenty (22)
Jerome Kaino - Blues /Auckland (56)
Richie McCaw (captain) - Crusaders / Canterbury (137)
Liam Messam - Chiefs / Waikato (40)
Kieran Read - Crusaders / Canterbury (72)
Matt Todd - Crusaders / Canterbury (2)
Victor Vito - Hurricanes / Wellington (26)
Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr-Barlow - Chiefs / Waikato (15)
TJ Perenara - Hurricanes / Wellington (11)
Aaron Smith - Highlanders / Manawatu (38)
First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett - Hurricanes / Taranaki (28)
Dan Carter - Crusaders / Canterbury (102)
Colin Slade - Crusaders /Canterbury (17)
Lima Sopoaga - Highlanders / Southland *
Midfielders
Ryan Crotty - Crusaders / Canterbury (13)
Malakai Fekitoa - Highlanders / Auckland (8)
Ma'a Nonu - Hurricanes / Wellington (94)
Conrad Smith - Hurricanes / Wellington (85)
Sonny Bill Williams - Chiefs / Counties Manukau (23)
Outside backs
Israel Dagg - Crusaders /Hawke's Bay (46)
Cory Jane - Hurricanes / Wellington (48)
Nehe Milner-Skudder - Hurricanes / Manawatu *
Waisake Naholo - Highlanders / Taranaki *
Charles Piutau - Blues /Auckland (14)
Julian Savea - Hurricanes / Wellington (33)
Ben Smith - Highlanders / Otago (38)

two really obviously interesting selections for me

Codie Taylor and Tawera Kerr-Barlow

interestingly Hansen did not name names but he said that one guy who was on the list yesterday is now not on the list because of last nights game between the chiefs & Highlanders and I wonder if that's Liam Coltman? Who else could he have been talking about? Hooker was always going to be interesting with Haris injured, Rhys Marshall kinda gone off the radar, Hika Elliot coming from nowhere to have a big season.

Codie taylor is the kind of player that while he may not have been talked about so much it does seem like a good selection. And the way hansen talked about him it makes you wonder if he is actually considered #3 ahead of Hika? It's a big call given that Parsons has been used as well.

Tawera Kerr-Barlow well noone would have picked it he's been missing all season and is only just now due back playing club rugby. Andy Elis is not named but will join the squad to cover TKB. Also seems like Weber is still in consideration as well and he will be playing for the Maori/baba's.

How many are they allowed to take to the world cup, is it still 30?

interestingly Hansen did not name names but he said that one guy who was on the list yesterday is now not on the list because of last nights game between the chiefs & Highlanders and I wonder if that's Liam Coltman? Who else could he have been talking about? Hooker was always going to be interesting with Haris injured, Rhys Marshall kinda gone off the radar, Hika Elliot coming from nowhere to have a big season.

Codie taylor is the kind of player that while he may not have been talked about so much it does seem like a good selection. And the way hansen talked about him it makes you wonder if he is actually considered #3 ahead of Hika? It's a big call given that Parsons has been used as well.

Tawera Kerr-Barlow well noone would have picked it he's been missing all season and is only just now due back playing club rugby. Andy Elis is not named but will join the squad to cover TKB. Also seems like Weber is still in consideration as well and he will be playing for the Maori/baba's.

It seemed to me like he was talking about Brad Weber.

- - - Updated - - -

How many are they allowed to take to the world cup, is it still 30?

31. One extra because they have the extra prop on the bench.

Dan Pryor maybe? He's out injured because of that game

Dan Pryor maybe? He's out injured because of that game

Nah, as good as Dan is, we are stacked in the loose forwards department, no room for him.

Coltman botched two line outs, both crucial ones... So maybe.

I think Tameifuna personally. Weber is another possibility, but he played decent enough and definitely didn't play himself out off a AB jersey. I think Tameifuna did that.

Or he was watching to see who was better out of Naholo and Lowe, both played well, but obviously Naholo was the better player and is the better option.

My money is on Tameifuna, he was embarrassing lastnight and should have seen yellow at least twice. At one point his fat ass was lying all over the ruck like a wild snorlax had appeared, he looked like a beached whale, seriously..

The modern game needs mobile reasonably athletic props, thank god he didn't get selected.

Last edited:
Don't think coltman has played himself into AB talk let alone out of it

Posted in the RWC squad thread, though it's more applicable to this thread...

Very very pleased to see NMS and Naholo selected, they're running hot and bringing them in now is a great investment in the future - for the WC, and for 2016 onward.

I'm a little surprised to see Matt Todd selected, he has been there before but I see Ardie Savea as the third openside flanker currently as he has great dynamic potential, although perhaps technically he isn't as strong as Todd - yet. I would think that should McCaw not be around next year, that Sam Cane will naturally be the first pick at 7, with Savea having a bench role.

Broadhurst has been colossal in his ball-carrying and workrate, he's a big unit with the heart and determination to match.

When was the last time Poverty Bay had an All Black? It's a great story for rugby, reminds of East Coast's success in the late-90's when they made the NPC 2nd Division - I still wish their run had continued and that they'd made the 1st Division :D

Happy with the squad, largely predictable, the 31-man RWC squad will be THE BIG ONE!

Having watched Lima Sopoaga for the first time this season yesterday evening, we are certainly in no trouble for 10's once Carter and Slade head off, and if Barrett chooses to play 7's - Sopoaga's made for international footy.

Can't comment on Codie Taylor as I haven't watched any Crusaders matches.

Last edited:

Latest posts