• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks squad announced Sunday

It seemed to me like he was talking about Brad Weber.

yeah but Weber actually had a pretty good game... Hansen made it sound like someone played them self out of selection last night.

Weber had a pretty good game, Coltman did miss some important lineouts, not straight a couple of times.

Lets face it Weber is just too young. I don't think he was on the list. Even more so considering they have called in Elis as cover for TKB.

I'm a little surprised to see Matt Todd selected, he has been there before but I see Ardie Savea as the third openside flanker currently as he has great dynamic potential, although perhaps technically he isn't as strong as Todd - yet. I would think that should McCaw not be around next year, that Sam Cane will naturally be the first pick at 7, with Savea having a bench role.

Im the opposite im very happy to see Matt Todd selected he's a very good player imo he's the best 7 in NZ right now. Savea needs a couple more years grafting he just makes really dumb mistakes at times that you cant afford at test level.

And how did Piutau get selected over Osbourne? I just done see any point to selecting this guy we've got loads of fullback cover if barrett is not selected at 10.

Last edited:
Im the opposite im very happy to see Matt Todd selected he's a very good player imo he's the best 7 in NZ right now. Savea needs a couple more years grafting he just makes really dumb mistakes at times that you cant afford at test level.

And how did Piutau get selected over Osbourne? I just done see any point to selecting this guy we've got loads of fullback cover if barrett is not selected at 10.

It's Tameifuna or Coltman who played themselves out off a spot

Agreed about Todd and Savea. Ardie definitely is the future though, along with Ioane and Cane. That will be our best back 3 once Read retires.

I think you underrate Piutau A LOT, do you not remember his end of the year tour form the past 2 years? He was a VIP in the 2013 undefeated year.

Hansen will want versatility and Piutau gives us wing cover and FB cover, both in which he is extremely comfortable in, which makes him very valuable. Dagg has the least value in the squad I think.

Yep Tameifuna was woeful last night.

He should of been really coming on by now and dominating opposition props but he's just not.

There is no way tamifuna was even on the radar this season. Which one of the props named would they have not taken for tameifuna?
He's an out of shape mong. (literally just gets fatter every season). Hansen told him your going to be an all black if you get in shape and he just never acted on it.
Must be coltman as weber played pretty good and coltman last few weeks were pretty great. Last night he was shiiite though, lineouts were atrocities which has always been his weak point.

I strongly feel matt Todd should be 2nd choice to McCaw and must make the full squad! No disrespect to cane he is an insane player. But Todd I don't think I've ever seen have an average game for about 4 years. He should of been richies backup since 2012 over cane. Absolute warrior of nz rugby the man is

There is no way tamifuna was even on the radar this season. Which one of the props named would they have not taken for tameifuna?
He's an out of shape mong. (literally just gets fatter every season). Hansen told him your going to be an all black if you get in shape and he just never acted on it.
Must be coltman as weber played pretty good and coltman last few weeks were pretty great. Last night he was shiiite though, lineouts were atrocities which has always been his weak point.

This is true. At a push I'd say Charlie (should be dropped for the final cut) and maybe Tonys age/form, but his experience is valuable.

I never really anticipated Tameifuna would make the ABs, he's been alright this season and people made some noise, but in the end he showed his lack of quality and was found out, just like Jamie Mackintosh, big man made of mush.

So if Highlanders meet the Hurricanes in the Super Rugby final, the ABs will lose 18 of 41 squad, including the likes of Faumauina who won't play because of injury. Just looking at who would play v Samoa and the ABs would only have Piutau and Dagg available to choose from in the back 3, so who would Hansen call up as wing cover - looks like he'll need at least 2.

my guess would be Osborne & Lowe, I think Osborne is unlucky to not be in the 41 and Lowe came back strong in the weekend.
Andy Elis is already in the squad as injury cover for TKB who is going to come back via club rugby.

you know I think people will call me stupid for saying this but I wonder how close Richard Buckman is to all black selection.

he can play anywhere 12-15

He's had a big influence since he returned to the highlanders from injury.

huge workload and low error rate
tackles anything, makes tackles that save trys and force turnovers on a regular basis
full skillset
makes excellent decisions
has a tidy attacking game

my guess would be Osborne & Lowe, I think Osborne is unlucky to not be in the 41 and Lowe came back strong in the weekend.
Andy Elis is already in the squad as injury cover for TKB who is going to come back via club rugby.

Doesn't Osborne play for the Highlanders? He would be out of the equation in the event of a Hurricanes v Highlanders final. Maybe Hosea Gear, as he knows the AB set up and would be a good way for him to sign off for them. Agreed on James Lowe, with his booming left boot.

You'd expect the ABs to start with Ellis v Samoa and leave him for say 70 minutes and give TKB a sub role, if he comes through a few games prior to the Samoa match.

Anyway, a mute point if one or none of the Hurricanes or Highlanders reach the Super 15 final.

true, silly me. actually the next guy that kinda sticks out for me (outside the canes & landers) is Nanai from the blues.

If my counting is correct, McCaws 150th cap will be the final if we make it.

just age grade or full international? I didn't think u-20's tied a player to that national team?

If my counting is correct, McCaws 150th cap will be the final if we make it.

I guess he'll have to wait until next year's June tests then :lol:

sorry couldn't resist, 150 tests - massive effort!

I was wondering if it was Lowe too. I thought he was going to make it because J.Savea isn't likely to be available for the Samoa test, so that leaves Piutau? To cover the left wing ... I could be wrong, but I think all of NMS time has been either at fullback or the right wing

Latest posts