• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks' centre pairing...

Thank you d1e1m.

Back to the subject...I like Ma'a Nonu, not a BIG fan of his but I like him none the less...but did anyone see him get fended off by Olivier?...that Olivier is a good player man.

I think that speaks more towards how far Nonus fallen in form that he made Olivier look like a standout. I've never seen Wynand as more than a solid water-carrier sort, but i don't mean to demean the role, however Olivier is at best Emerging Boks material. Whats frustrating for Canes and AB fans is that we know he has great potential but this year he's been very sub-par. Smith on the other hand was working his butt off, poor guy.

To woodward above me, I respect NOnu as a potential XFactor but SBW has to be considered his superior in most situations. In the end, the edge of experience Nonu has over him counts for naught if he's shows the lack of commitment he has been. And SBW has shown that even if his plans are to move on after the RWC, he's sure trying hard to make a claim to be the best 12 in world rugby. In regards to wings, sure we might not have a dominant wing since Sivi and Roks lost their form a bit but I think there are plenty of players capable of slotting in. Plus in last years TN, ABs showed they didn't need a star winger although Jane certainly was great during the tournament.

Nonu and Williams are two different player. For Williams' size, he isn't half the line breaker Ma'a Nonu is. In Nonu's prime, there is no better line breaker, but we just haven't seen it so much this year. Calling him stupid is pretty ignorent as well, I'd be interested in what this is based off, because if it's based on his track record on the field, I can't see Sonny Bill Williams being considered much better. SBW has got a lot of skill in the offload, and drawing in tackles, where as Nonu breaks the line. I guess it depends on what you want on the field.

Thank you d1e1m.

Back to the subject...I like Ma'a Nonu, not a BIG fan of his but I like him none the less...but did anyone see him get fended off by Olivier?...that Olivier is a good player man.

Bro it look llike Ma'a just slipped off him going around the legs,the only thing Ma'a did wrong was the miss tackle but most guys would of got beaten by Oliver that close.People have to remember Nonu is playing behind a crap 1st five and a under power forward pack if Nonu was in the Crusaders and SBW was in the Canes im sure the story would be different.Nonu plays better when Carter is at 1st five for the All Blacks.

Nonu and Williams are two different player. For Williams' size, he isn't half the line breaker Ma'a Nonu is. In Nonu's prime, there is no better line breaker, but we just haven't seen it so much this year. Calling him stupid is pretty ignorent as well, I'd be interested in what this is based off, because if it's based on his track record on the field, I can't see Sonny Bill Williams being considered much better. SBW has got a lot of skill in the offload, and drawing in tackles, where as Nonu breaks the line. I guess it depends on what you want on the field.

Are you referring to the shoulder charges? they have all been really marginal, always wrapping at least one arm.
As good as the All Blacks were last year the backline could have been alot more potent. A lot of times the attack would stagnate and it wasn't obvious where the break would come from. Apart from against Quade Cooper Nonu wasn't breaking the line with any consistency. The example everybody uses for why we should have Nonu there was because of a pissweak attempt from Smit who shouldn't have been on the field at that stage. SBW would have made that break as well but the point is, we need someone to create opportunities when the defense isn't falling apart so come WC finals time (hopefully) we have a surplus of attacking options. I don't want to have to rely on superior fitness for the All Blacks to capitalize on opponents weaknesses at the death. SBW creates tries, I think that Scotland game was destined to be tight and it was really, a full strength backline hardly created anything it all came from Williams. Maybe the offloads can be countered but so far we haven't seen it, let them worry about how to shut him down Carter and Smith would love to be forgotten about.

Nonu is beating himself up a bit but it is true that if he had been playing behind the crucaders forward pack and Dan carter he would be finding life a bit easier right now. canes tight 5 are not doing the business. Hore is hitting below par. Tialata looks fatter than schwalger and eaton just doesn't have the bulk to make an impact.

Jack Lam is in mind blowing form and Vito is doing a good job at trying to keep up with him. Shame Lowe's not around.

Things are looking up for the canes though, Gear came back well and at the end of the day if they had made their kicks at goal they would have won. Same story as with the chiefs, shame for both teams.

Nonu is beating himself up a bit but it is true that if he had been playing behind the crucaders forward pack and Dan carter he would be finding life a bit easier right now. canes tight 5 are not doing the business. Hore is hitting below par. Tialata looks fatter than schwalger and eaton just doesn't have the bulk to make an impact.

Jack Lam is in mind blowing form and Vito is doing a good job at trying to keep up with him. Shame Lowe's not around.

Things are looking up for the canes though, Gear came back well and at the end of the day if they had made their kicks at goal they would have won. Same story as with the chiefs, shame for both teams.

Yes Nonu is beating himself up but he will be in the AB's for sure,i just wanna see him breaking the line again,he's trying to create chance's for everyone else in the backline.
He should just take the ball up hard and straight and not run sideways and cut back like he's doing,he should just try it and see what happens.
Im am glad that he's not getting into the ruck as much and gets back in the backline.As a Canes fan i just want them to win:)

And put Cruden in Kirkpatrick lost the game for them with his kicking.

Yes Nonu is beating himself up but he will be in the AB's for sure,i just wanna see him breaking the line again,he's trying to create chance's for everyone else in the backline.
He should just take the ball up hard and straight and not run sideways and cut back like he's doing,he should just try it and see what happens.
Im am glad that he's not getting into the ruck as much and gets back in the backline.As a Canes fan i just want them to win:)

And put Cruden in Kirkpatrick lost the game for them with his kicking.

I'll second the Cruden suggestion fully, would love to see him as their go to 10. I really want Savea unleashed, with the Hurricanes playing as they are currently we haven't seen much of him but I can certainly see him becoming an All Black with a few years experience under his belt.

9 cowan 10 carter 11 gear(or ranger) 12 sbw 13 smith 14 jane 15 mils

yeah I agree Cruden should get the nod now. I think there was good reason to try Dan over cruden but the last two games I dont think Dan has been good enough to warrent keeping Cruden on the bench.

On that note is it just me or is cruden looking smaller again? I thought he was putting on weight during the off season but honestly he's looking really scrawny?

colin slade for carter' substitute, nonu on the bench or dagg

IMO I think Gear is well ahead of ranger right now. I think his one game back for the canes reaffirmed his position as NZ's best 11

I think a few of the AB back line incumbents would be a little worried, and need to lift there game - I think Mils will be wanting to get back from injury as quickly as possible as Toeava in particular, is challenging him for his All Black position

I dont think Mills is under too much pressure. The main thing for him and some other key all blacks is to maintain fitness and string some games together towards the end of the super15, that goes for the likes of McCaw, Carter, Read, Kaino, Thorn, Cowan, Mills, Woodcock, Mealamu

Look at mills the last few of years. People have come out and said he was "past it" then he's come in and played brilliantly for the AB's. And IMO he now has a reputation as a player who peaks at the "end of the year" as he has done for the last 3 years. And this year the "end of the year" just happens to be world cup time!

The one main bad point with the current situation is that last year he spent time out with a hand injury in super rugby. With an injury like that he obviously did a lot of work on his running and speed and he came back with blistering pace. A back injury is a different beast all together. It will be much harder for him to maintain or improve areas of his fitness with the back injury he has right now.

The one person that should be looking over his sholder at the form of Toeava is Cory Jane. Jane already lost his 14 jersy to Toeava on the EoY tour and the extra size and presence Toeava has on defence over Jane I believe will be a factor.

yeah I agree Cruden should get the nod now. I think there was good reason to try Dan over cruden but the last two games I dont think Dan has been good enough to warrent keeping Cruden on the bench.

On that note is it just me or is cruden looking smaller again? I thought he was putting on weight during the off season but honestly he's looking really scrawny?

I'm not convinced Cruden starting will really help the Canes, as goal-kicking aside Kirkpatrick has been pretty solid, while Cruden has been pretty poor when he's come on. To be honest though unless the Canes sort their forward pack out (and manage to get some quality ball to the backline) I don't think it's going to matter who plays at first-five!

The one person that should be looking over his sholder at the form of Toeava is Cory Jane. Jane already lost his 14 jersy to Toeava on the EoY tour and the extra size and presence Toeava has on defence over Jane I believe will be a factor.

Yeah Jane really needs to step up, as he's only been a shadow of his former self this year. Last year I rated him as the best outside back in the country, so hopefully he can get back to that sort of form (incidentally I rate Toeava as the best outside back in the country at the moment).

Last edited:
I think that Jane will come right... It can't help your game when you play at 15 all season then at 14 during the internationals and then have to switch back to 15 again... The Hurricanes are missing Weepu dearly, he runs the backline extremely well and has great vision going forward.
Does anyone know when he's due back??? can't be too far away now surely...

I'm not convinced Cruden starting will really help the Canes, as goal-kicking aside Kirkpatrick has been pretty solid, while Cruden has been pretty poor when he's come on. To be honest though unless the Canes sort their forward pack out, and manage to get some quality ball to the backline, I don't think it's going to matter who plays at first-five!

Why did the Canes not go looking for a 1st five from the draft im sure they could of pick one up,how many kicks did Kirkpatrick miss 4 0r 5 that's unacceptable.There line-out is a shambles and Hore isn't leading like he should.Please drop Savea and move Jane to the wing and bring Taylor in to fullback.....

My Hurricanes to play Brumbies

1.Schwalger
2.Coles
3.Tialata
4.Thursh
5.Broadhurst
6.Jack "The Hitman" Lam
7.Lilo
8.Vito
9.Keats
10.Cruden
11.Gear
12.Nonu
13.Smith
14.Jane
15.Taylor

16.Perenise
17.Hore
18.J.Eaton
19.Levave
20.C.Eaton
21.Savea
22.Kirkpatrick

I think that Jane will come right... It can't help your game when you play at 15 all season then at 14 during the internationals and then have to switch back to 15 again... The Hurricanes are missing Weepu dearly, he runs the backline extremely well and has great vision going forward.
Does anyone know when he's due back??? can't be too far away now surely...

Say's he targeting April sometime to return.Come on Piri we need you NOW!!!

Why did the Canes not go looking for a 1st five from the draft im sure they could of pick one up,how many kicks did Kirkpatrick miss 4 0r 5 that's unacceptable.

The strange thing is, apart from this season, Kirkpatrick has been one of the most accurate goal-kickers in the country. For example in the 2009 ITM Cup he was the second most accurate goalkicker with 35/45 (78%) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Air_New_Zealand_Cup_statistics - I can't find his stats from last year). Hopefully his goalkicking will come right, as the Canes really need all the points they can get!

Latest posts