All Blacks' centre pairing...

Aedaphon

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Barbarians
I'd like TRF's opinions:

Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith or Sonny-Bill and Fruean?

I find it unlikely that they'd mix the two up that much, bar taking Nonu and Smith with SBW as a sub as they did in the Autumn Internationals.

Which do you think NZ will take into the World Cup and which do you think that they should take?

12. SBW
13. Smith

Fruean and Nonu in the extended squad - though if it had to come down to one of them I suppose it'd have to be Nonu because Fruean is untested at an international level, even if I don't like Nonu

Nonu and Smith with SBW backing up either,Fruean will be on stand-by.What about Nonu/Fruean and SBW/Smith take all 4 of them and mix it up abit.

i dont wish to sound untraditional and not be going nuts over the world cup but id just like to say whether or not fruen is introduced to world cup rugby this time or not he allmost definently will be in the next and if sbw was to stay (dw im not naive) no one could match this pairing in the world

i dont wish to sound untraditional and not be going nuts over the world cup but id just like to say whether or not fruen is introduced to world cup rugby this time or not he allmost definently will be in the next and if sbw was to stay (dw im not naive) no one could match this pairing in the world

Nonu and Smith would be the only 2 to match them or out play them in the world.

You can't NOT have Conrad starting.
People are paying far too much attention to the other centres. Smith is one of the top 3 centres in the world. No doubt. The impetus that guy has on the team (whether all blacks or hurricanes) is phenomenal.
To leave him out of the side would be criminal.

9. Cowan
10. Carter
11. Ranger
12. SBW
13. Smith
14. Maitland
15. Jane

One hell of a backline...

A looming possibility is Graham Henry whispering into Blackadders ear about trying Fruean on the wing for a few games later in the season. He has played quite a bit of football in the 11 jersey at club level and a few times for Wellington. If he can't best Nonu Smith and SBW there is a possibility that he could compete for a midfield/wing utility spot.

Also, another combination i wouldn't mind seeing purely for entertainment value is SBW/Ranger. People seem to have forgotten but before SBWs arrival Ranger was hands down the best exponent of the offload in NZ, if you paired those two guys togther imagine how long they could keep a single attack going through refusing to take the ball to ground.. Obviously they would have their share of weaknesses, but if they were paired together against one of the minnow sides in pool play it could be awesome.

I don't think Fruean is fast enough to be a wing.

You can't NOT have Conrad starting.
People are paying far too much attention to the other centres. Smith is one of the top 3 centres in the world. No doubt. The impetus that guy has on the team (whether all blacks or hurricanes) is phenomenal.
To leave him out of the side would be criminal.
You have no idea how good it is for someone else to say that. People don't see Smith in every highlight reel, therefore think other players are better. There is no better defensive player in my opinion than Smith. His tackling it text-book perfect and he is the best at putting his man in the gap. That, and he is a lawyer...just saying, that's pretty cool.

<STRIKE>9. Cowan</STRIKE> Weepu
10. Carter
11. <STRIKE>Ranger </STRIKE>Gear
12. <STRIKE>SBW </STRIKE>Nonu
13. Smith
14. <STRIKE>Maitland </STRIKE>Joe Rokocoko
15. Jane

One hell of a backline...

Maitland won't get near the AB's. He good and consistant, but he's in the most efficient attacking team around. Rokocoko, Jane, Masaga and Sivivatu are all a better shout. Ranger is too slow for a winger. He's played there because he's unlikely to get an AB spot at Centre, but that is by far and away his best position. Hosea Gear is a better winger anyway, but people are quick to forget him from his few weeks off. Cowan isn't half the halfback that Weepu is. He's better defensively, but that's about it. I prefer Nonu over SBW.

In terms of my centres, I'm going to have to say Nonu and Smith. Conrad Smith is the best centre in the world, even if he's playing for a terrible S15 team. Nonu is also a game breaker, and has over 50 tests of experience. SBW and Fruean are very exciting to watch, and have been amazing with the Saders, but I would rest easier with Conrad Smith in the team over Fruean, and SBW/Nonu is probably a 50/50 call. Ideally I would like to alternate Nonu & Smith with SBW & Fruean this Tri Nations, as well as the RWC. So far however, Smith and Nonu will be in my final team.

He's no slower than Ranger, but I agree that he's not quick enough. His first and only game for the Hurricanes (which I was at) was at fullback, and he wasn't too bad for the time he got. I hate putting centres on the wing, it never works out that well. Wingers can become centres, but you either have the raw pace, or you don't, and I don't think Fruean or Ranger have it (Ranger used to back in 2008).

I like the idea of Ranger and SBW in the centres, but I like Ranger/Nonu or Ranger/Fruean in the centres as well.

Last edited:

Its a valid opinion, but then again Adam Ashley Cooper is playing wing this weekend and we all saw who was quicker out of those two..
Hes also no slower than Mortlock and he broke into the test scene on the wing. Then theres Ranger who has been used as an All Blacks winger despite not being too quick.

I think youre right long term, he doesn't have the chops to become a worldclass winger, but i think he could cover it alright as a utility.

Maitland won't get near the AB's. He good and consistant, but he's in the most efficient attacking team around. Rokocoko, Jane, Masaga and Sivivatu are all a better shout. Ranger is too slow for a winger. He's played there because he's unlikely to get an AB spot at Centre, but that is by far and away his best position. Hosea Gear is a better winger anyway, but people are quick to forget him from his few weeks off. Cowan isn't half the halfback that Weepu is. He's better defensively, but that's about it. I prefer Nonu over SBW.

Cowan always manages to bring a little something extra for his team. Even if you can't quantify it with stats and scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
On current form i'd go with SBW and Smith. I feel sorry for Nonu, he hasn't really put a foot wrong in recent years and has a smarter game that SBW. It's just that SBW is a freak and can almost gives NZ another dimension of attack.

Haha i saw that! He continuously tried to get it closer! The ref was even starting to laugh after a while. 9's are sneaky ********!

I think leaving Smith out of the starting XV is out of question for the important games. Who plays 12 can depend on the rival, but I personally prefer SBW. He is as strong as Nonu and has a far better offload. Anything that can be lost tactically when playing SBW instead of Nonu can be offset by the tactical geniuses that DC and C. Smith are.

One extra word for Conrad Smith: he was by a mile the best center in the world in 2010 (considering the very average year BOD had) and is the last light of hope for those of us that believe that being >100 Kg and running the 100m in under 10.9 seconds can help, but is not the main thing for a center. The job of a 13 is to open up spaces for the wingers to score, and to not allow the opposing 13 to do so. In this, there is no-one better. It is really a pleasure to see him play, specially when compared to 13's that have never given a pass in their lives (Rougerie, Fourie and co.)

I think it is too late to think of Freuan for the WC. Ranger has been in the training squad for a while so even if he has not played much, perhaps he can make it. Only the coach can know how well he has adapted during those practice sessions.

I think leaving Smith out of the starting XV is out of question for the important games. Who plays 12 can depend on the rival, but I personally prefer SBW. He is as strong as Nonu and has a far better offload. Anything that can be lost tactically when playing SBW instead of Nonu can be offset by the tactical geniuses that DC and C. Smith are.

One extra word for Conrad Smith: he was by a mile the best center in the world in 2010 (considering the very average year BOD had) and is the last light of hope for those of us that believe that being >100 Kg and running the 100m in under 10.9 seconds can help, but is not the main thing for a center. The job of a 13 is to open up spaces for the wingers to score, and to not allow the opposing 13 to do so. In this, there is no-one better. It is really a pleasure to see him play, specially when compared to 13's that have never given a pass in their lives (Rougerie, Fourie and co.)

I think it is too late to think of Freuan for the WC. Ranger has been in the training squad for a while so even if he has not played much, perhaps he can make it. Only the coach can know how well he has adapted during those practice sessions.

I don't think it's too late for Freuan because while Ranger has great potential, he also has a great ability to become invisible in some matches, while Freuan has show this year that even if he's not on the score-sheet, he's certainly putting in his yards and passes and making those tackles. IMO, Freuan certainly looks the hungriest of the two.

As for Smith, I agree, indispensable in the starting XV but NOnu certainly isn't doing himself any favors with his sub-par performances. I'd like to see both combos take to the cup for the sheer "oh-****" factor of having SBW and Freuan come on at the same time (as high unlikely as that is), any opposing midfield combo would **** themselves, especially seeing how the Sharks couldn't deal with them.

You have no idea how good it is for someone else to say that. People don't see Smith in every highlight reel, therefore think other players are better. There is no better defensive player in my opinion than Smith. His tackling it text-book perfect and he is the best at putting his man in the gap. That, and he is a lawyer...just saying, that's pretty cool.

In terms of my centres, I'm going to have to say Nonu and Smith. Conrad Smith is the best centre in the world, even if he's playing for a terrible S15 team. Nonu is also a game breaker, and has over 50 tests of experience. SBW and Fruean are very exciting to watch, and have been amazing with the Saders, but I would rest easier with Conrad Smith in the team over Fruean, and SBW/Nonu is probably a 50/50 call. Ideally I would like to alternate Nonu & Smith with SBW & Fruean this Tri Nations, as well as the RWC. So far however, Smith and Nonu will be in my final team.

He's no slower than Ranger, but I agree that he's not quick enough. His first and only game for the Hurricanes (which I was at) was at fullback, and he wasn't too bad for the time he got. I hate putting centres on the wing, it never works out that well. Wingers can become centres, but you either have the raw pace, or you don't, and I don't think Fruean or Ranger have it (Ranger used to back in 2008).

I like the idea of Ranger and SBW in the centres, but I like Ranger/Nonu or Ranger/Fruean in the centres as well.

Just a question Nick , why did you pick Joe on the wing? In my opinion he is wayyyy past his best...

On another note, sure smith is safe but I really think Fruean is ready. Hes a bigger faster stronger player and doesnt give anything away to smith .

Last edited:
I really dont think there is room for two specilest centers in a 30man squad. So baring injuries I dont think there is room for fruen. Nonu, Smith and Sonny are now automatic selections and I also think Kahui should be selected if fit, as he's one of those rare players that is born for test rugby. Every showing he's had for the AB's has been a good one and he can cover any position 11 - 14 with an AB jersey on his game lifts to another level.

IMO this will be the ideal backline come world cup time

9, Weepu (best 9 in NZ by some margin, brilliant against SA and AUS last year right now his fitness looks well off, I hope he really digs deep to get his fitness back)
10, Carter
11, Gear
12, SBW/Nonu (Both will get a chance to prove their form during the tri nations and group stages)
13, Conrad
14, Jane (Jane hasn't been in the best form but it may just reflect the Canes poor start to the season)
15, Mills

20, Cowan/Leonard (I just think Elis is too slow to clear the ball, Cowan too but he's sure to be there with his experience)
21, Slade/Donald
22, Dagg/Kahui

Two things need to ne considered:

One is that it will be hard to imagine come WC time everyone will be fit and ready. Injuries will surely play a part somehow. If conrad smith is injured Fruen's phone could ring.

Another is that Tana is in great form and should not be overlooked just because he's the wrong side of 35, he will also be a great person to have in the squad.

9. Weepu
10. Carter
11. Gear
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Jane
15. Muliaina

vs.

9. Cowan
10. Slade
11. Sivivatu
12. Williams
13. Fruean
14. Rokocoko
15. Dagg

with Ranger, Gulidford, Maitland, Toeava all to cover if injured, not to mention McAlister, Stanley, Kahui...

Frightening.

England players who'd make either of those backlines? Youngs, Flood and maybe Ashton. And that's from supposedly the best team in the NH.

A looming possibility is Graham Henry whispering into Blackadders ear about trying Fruean on the wing for a few games later in the season. He has played quite a bit of football in the 11 jersey at club level and a few times for Wellington. If he can't best Nonu Smith and SBW there is a possibility that he could compete for a midfield/wing utility spot.

Also, another combination i wouldn't mind seeing purely for entertainment value is SBW/Ranger. People seem to have forgotten but before SBWs arrival Ranger was hands down the best exponent of the offload in NZ, if you paired those two guys togther imagine how long they could keep a single attack going through refusing to take the ball to ground.. Obviously they would have their share of weaknesses, but if they were paired together against one of the minnow sides in pool play it could be awesome.

Yes this could be a good choice as Sivivatu is off to Cleamont later on,Fruean would be okay on the wing he's not super fast but hey the coach's put Nonu on the wing a few years ago so it no big deal.Im for Nonu all the way but i will always say that.

Latest posts