• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

#1 choice all black winger

Maitland is a great player, and he will be even better in a couple of years. Now he is lucky being in the right place at the right moment; there are others more suited for the job.

Gear is brilliant, but I doubt if he will perform at the top level in a world cup. Anyway Gear, Toeava and Jane are on top of the list. Too soon anyway to choose one instead of the other.

Guilford woul be the next in my list. I love Ranger but is is too weak in defense right now.

I know the Autumn Internationals aren't quite the same as the World Cup but he was a serious force then and frankly I can't see any of the other wingers getting a place ahead of him if he gets back on form after recovering from injury. And in terms of Jane, for the selectors at least, Toeava ticks all the boxes he can and has the benefit of having been in great form all season and started as 14 for the last 5 or so games for NZ.

I think Jane will be in the running but he'll have to prove himself to be significantly better than Toeava to secure a place in the starting 15.

kinda interesting thinking about what the peak ages are for players in different positions. It's often said that Midfielders peak around 28 props often over 30 locks too can take some time to mature. But wingers tend to be at their best when they are very young and maybe peak under 25 years of age even maybe in their early 20's.

not always true though. I remember Jeff Willson was in the form of his life in his last season, it seemed crazy to see him retire in the form he was in but he did retire to try and forge a bit of a carrier in Cricket. I also remember Eric Rush was at his best later in his carrier, he was kinda a fringe All Black most of the time but later on he forced his way into the starting lineup with good form.

Gear and Toeava. I'd love to see Ranger playing but he can prove to be a liability at times.