• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Western media has no influence over China or Burma.

It's not that deep.
Got to disagree there, when the BBC challenged to Chinese ambassador about the forced deportation of Muslims there was a massive social media campaign by the CCP (much of it disinformation) trying to dismiss the BBC claims. China does care about what the world thinks and it has millions of students in foreign universities who get the media uncensored.

Got to disagree there, when the BBC challenged to Chinese ambassador about the forced deportation of Muslims there was a massive social media campaign by the CCP (much of it disinformation) trying to dismiss the BBC claims. China does care about what the world thinks and it has millions of students in foreign universities who get the media uncensored.
Is that them caring or just an international extension of their propaganda though? They're massively involved in international trade so can't just shrug their shoulders and say "so what" but equally they're not reliant on Europe / US relations like Israel is. In any case, western society and media's influence on China isn't a fraction of that on Israel.

There's no effective channels that large western economies are willing to follow against the Uyghur genocide but Israel can at least be kept on some sort of leash and put under increasing pressure.

Finally, any attempt of diverting attention of one oppressive and murderous regime to another (not that you're doing this) is generally very telling. Human life is human life and ideally none of this would be happening but there's no conspiracy as to why Israel is garnering more attention than other conflicts right now.

but Israel can at least be kept on some sort of leash and put under increasing pressure.
What leash is Israel currently on and why is it that British media (don't care about American) is much more interested in a low key middle eastern conflict than it is in a major conventional land war on the European mainland that could have significant consequences to our own security?

I ask because I have no idea why

Let's not also forget instability in North Africa is one of the biggest causes of illegal migration onto the European mainland. This has caused instability and the rise of the far right. Interestingly most of the nations that have the migrants come through are controlled by Wagner backed junta's. To be it's a deliberate act of hybrid warfare but everyone just seems focused on a region that has always been at war with itself.
Just to clarify some facts. The EU actively paid Hemedti, the leader of the Rapid Support Forces, to stop migrants coming through Sudan.

China are in reservation to the ICJ. Burma and Israel both have ongoing genocide cases. Western media has no influence over China or Burma.

It's not that deep.
I'm talking about public perception/interest. This could extend to media too, obviously.

Isreal has got that pretty baseless motion from SA but they didn't tell Isreal to stop operations and did not decide that there was a plausible case for genocide, but rather that the Palestinians had a right to be protected from genocide.

What leash is Israel currently on and why is it that British media (don't care about American) is much more interested in a low key middle eastern conflict than it is in a major conventional land war on the European mainland that could have significant consequences to our own security?

It's because the Isreal Palestine conflict involves Jews and no one likes Jews really. If Russia was a Jewish state you can be damn sure there would be much more interest in it.

This is obviously conjecture but without international pressure I think its safe to say the picture for civilians in Gaza would be even worse than it currently is.

As for media attention it's likely because Britain have history in the middle Eastern region, their historic decisions are the root of the current conflict and they have large Arab and, by most nations standards, Jewish populations (almost all of this applies to the US too). More civilians have been killed in Gaza than in the Ukraine war (of course a huge number of conscripted soldiers have been killed but, rightly or wrongly, that isnt reported as heavily as it doesnt register with people as much). Also to anyone without military experience there hasn't been major change in the face of the conflict since the Russian offensive earlier this year, most people dont understand the nuances of war. Also aid and weapons going into Ukraine isn't massively newsworthy anymore.

Journalism is a business that primarily reports on what people will read / listen to.

I'm talking about public perception/interest. This could extend to media too, obviously.

Isreal has got that pretty baseless motion from SA but they didn't tell Isreal to stop operations and did not decide that there was a plausible case for genocide, but rather that the Palestinians had a right to be protected from genocide.

They've been ordered to stop an offensive and to provide food to prevent famine (and what would be an ensuing genocide as the population starved to death), hardly the result you'd expect from a baseless motion. It's also still ongoing.

This is obviously conjecture but without international pressure I think its safe to say the picture for civilians in Gaza would be even worse than it currently is.

As for media attention it's likely because Britain have history in the middle Eastern region, their historic decisions are the root of the current conflict and they have large Arab and, by most nations standards, Jewish populations (almost all of this applies to the US too). More civilians have been killed in Gaza than in the Ukraine war (of course a huge number of conscripted soldiers have been killed but, rightly or wrongly, that isnt reported as heavily as it doesnt register with people as much). Also to anyone without military experience there hasn't been major change in the face of the conflict since the Russian offensive earlier this year, most people dont understand the nuances of war. Also aid and weapons going into Ukraine isn't massively newsworthy anymore.

Journalism is a business that primarily reports on what people will read / listen to.

They've been ordered to stop an offensive and to provide food to prevent famine (and what would be an ensuing genocide as the population starved to death), hardly the result you'd expect from a baseless motion. It's also still ongoing.
This is another thing that proves my point. The starvation talking point. While almost 400 thousand people have starved to death in Yemen and someone has already posted the a similar plight in Sudan (and there's dozens of others) it's very telling that people focus on what appears to be no starvation issues in Isreal. Very strange. How many Palestinians have died from starvation?

Have you got the figures for civilians killed on each conflict

This is another thing that proves my point. The starvation talking point. While almost 400 thousand people have starved to death in Yemen and someone has already posted the a similar plight in Sudan (and there's dozens of others) it's very telling that people focus on what appears to be no starvation issues in Isreal. Very strange. How many Palestinians have died from starvation?
And the British have had far more involvement in the Sudan in an historical context than Palastine.

You would class Russia as a Jewish state?
Ironically I would. Oligarchy,show business etc, every sphere with money, power and influence - you have much more chances there if you are a Jew/have Jewish origins,than a Russian,you can believe me
PS okay okay, if you are an Azerbaijani or Armenian,you... still have more chances than Russian

It's because the Isreal Palestine conflict involves Jews and no one likes Jews really. If Russia was a Jewish state you can be damn sure there would be much more interest in it.
Do you genuinely think that Jews are more marginalised than Arabs and Asian Muslims today? Post Thatcher's Britain, 9/11 and 7/7 etc...

No point is proven.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/a-political-thread-pt-2.47374/page-825#post-1195748

What can the UK, EU or US do about Sudan or Yemen? If they put enough pressure on Israel they can stop the ongoing murder of civilians. It's really that simple.

Humanitarian aid is currently preventing it, 96% of the population are at risk of starvation.

Have you got the figures for civilians killed on each conflict

The UN's official figure is 11,000 but have estimated that it could be as high as 40,000.

Palestine is 40,000 total with over 50% being women and children. They don't differentiate between civilian and combatant deaths however.

Also one would have to factor in the unique nature of urban warefare in Gaza, a tiny condensed area with a 50% population that are under 18.

Also that they are trapped there whereas Ukranian civilians can flee the conflict area.

Do you genuinely think that Jews are more marginalised than Arabs and Asian Muslims today? Post Thatcher's Britain, 9/11 and 7/7 etc...

No point is proven.

https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/a-political-thread-pt-2.47374/page-825#post-1195748

Humanitarian aid is currently preventing it, 96% of the population are at risk of starvation.

The UN's official figure is 11,000 but have estimated that it could be as high as 40,000.

Palestine is 40,000 total with over 50% being women and children. They don't differentiate between civilian and combatant deaths however.

Also that they are trapped there whereas Ukranian civilians can flee the conflict area.
So roughly the same then?

No point is proven.

What can the UK, EU or US do about Sudan or Yemen? If they put enough pressure on Israel they can stop the ongoing murder of civilians. It's really that simple.

Admittedly I was being crass with my original statement. While anti semititsm is clearly a significant factor as to why there is a disproportionate amount of scrutiny towards the state of Isreal, it's really because, on top of that, it's got a bit of everything. White (kind of) vs brown, rich v poor, oppressed v oppressor, Judaism v Islam. Its a perfect broth of everything that people like to talk about/defend/criticise.

Yeah but it's roughly in the period of one year vs 2 and a half. When Ukranian civilians were dying en masse immediately after the invasion it was just as big a news story.
Obviously doesn't include deported Ukrainian children, forced conscription on the occupied regions etc but fair point

Admittedly I was being crass with my original statement. While anti semititsm is clearly a significant factor as to why there is a disproportionate amount of scrutiny towards the state of Isreal, it's really because, on top of that, it's got a bit of everything. White (kind of) vs brown, rich v poor, oppressed v oppressor, Judaism v Islam. Its a perfect broth of everything that people like to talk about/defend/criticise.
Fair. I think you've answered you're own question very concisely there though, with the addition of close western ties that Israel has.

There are unfortunately numerous people who will let anti-semitism or islamophobia dictate their opinion on this conflict but I think they're very much in the minority.

Latest posts