• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Tories doing a victory lap as if scraping through another piece of unworkable legislation and attempting to legislate reality is something to be proud of. They are literally try to define Rwanda as a safe country by law and saying that judges are not allowed to have an opinion otherwise...
Its not law yet it still has to go through committee stage. Still a long long way to go.

Also not to mention when the Lords get hold of it and they've indicated that will be hell.

Its not law yet it still has to go through committee stage. Still a long long way to go.

Also not to mention when the Lords get hold of it and they've indicated that will be hell.
I think most of them know it's going to fail. They are just biding there time before saying 'You didn't listen, we told you so" then they will give him a proper kicking after the Lords have got in a few early digs.

Many of the right wing Tory rebels (in red wall and other marginal seats) are worried about losing their seats and want to tell their constituents "We fought for you, stood up to the Govt and wanted a tougher Rwanda bill". Some like Braverman are exploiting the situation and using it as an excuse to leave the ECHR which feeds their right wing base. They also have one eye on life after the election knowing someone like Braverman is likely to be their leader and will be dishing out shadow cabinet positions. What I find unacceptable is that they talked about "not being dictated to by foreign courts" and yet here they are trying to pass emergency legislation which would override the UK supreme court. How does that work?

What irritates me the most is that NHS waiting lists, cost of living, crumbling schools etc. have all taken a back seat while the Govt puts far too much time and resources into a single political issue - all because the party is badly divided and they want to cling on to their seats and keep their base happy. In some respects it might be better if the bill fails and Sunak either resigns or calls an election. We can't have more months of Rwanda dominating things. I'm bloody fed up of them pushing the "Stop the boats" slogan. Even Johnson is now saying "Get Rwanda done". All it does is feed their base and promote hate towards asylum seekers and in many cases immigrants in general.

Last edited:
trying to pass emergency legislation which would override the UK supreme court. How does that work?
It's not supposed to work, just distract.

All it does is feed their base and promote hate towards asylum seekers and in many cases immigrants in general.
What makes you think they have any higher interests?
Promote hate = divide and conquer = we keep as much power as possible.

This isn't conservatism as we're all accustomed to thinking about it - a viable world outlook and general philosophy and politics - albeit one I disagree with (often strongly), but generally acceptable for that.
This is the current tory party, after a coup d'etat by the UKIP/NF branch, currently going through a UKIP purity test, having ejected anyone that failed the previous purity test when Johnson came to power. The lunatics are running the asylum - and there's nothing anyone can do about it until the next GE.

It's not supposed to work, just distract.

What makes you think they have any higher interests?
Promote hate = divide and conquer = we keep as much power as possible

1. It was a rhetorical question.

2. People coming across on boats via criminal gangs is a genuine problem that needs well thought out workable solutions. Failing to do that and exploiting it in an attempt to regain power needs calling out.

Project fear surely.

I see storm Babet is being blamed. I'd be interested to know what proportion of the -0.3% decline was down to the storm.
Staggering isn't it when the weather is listed as a cause but Brexit and political instability are big no-nos that cannot possibly be the cause. The extent to which the Tories and the media at large refuse to address the elephant in the room is infuriating.

Israel's ambassador to the UK flat out rejected the idea of a 2 state solution now. Israel is not even hiding the fact their objective is the full destruction and absorbing of Gaza and likely the west bank into Israel. They will drive out the people and the world will sit and watch.

Also Trump is now literally trying to claim that as president and ex-president, he is immune to any and all forms of prosecution, essentially that he is above the law: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67712059

Even the most ardently right wing Trumper judge must recognise and reject the insanity of this statement. If any supreme court justice decides to rule that the president is immune to prosecution, they are full on supporting the establishment of a dictatorship. I bet nobody thought the USA would have fallen this far in only 10 years. It just goes to show how dangerous and damaging the far right movements around the west have been, just leaving a trail of destruction in their wake.

Israel's ambassador to the UK flat out rejected the idea of a 2 state solution now. Israel is not even hiding the fact their objective is the full destruction and absorbing of Gaza and likely the west bank into Israel. They will drive out the people and the world will sit and watch.

Also Trump is now literally trying to claim that as president and ex-president, he is immune to any and all forms of prosecution, essentially that he is above the law: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67712059

Even the most ardently right wing Trumper judge must recognise and reject the insanity of this statement. If any supreme court justice decides to rule that the president is immune to prosecution, they are full on supporting the establishment of a dictatorship. I bet nobody thought the USA would have fallen this far in only 10 years. It just goes to show how dangerous and damaging the far right movements around the west have been, just leaving a trail of destruction in their wake.
I think there's a general question of if he can pardon himself for federal crimes he's been convicted of both past and present whilst he's holding the office (well done to the constitution for not closing that massive loophole).

But it's highly unlikely the Supreme Court will find they a President both present and former can't be convicted of federal crimes.

I just watched that interview. Her behaviour was utterly embarrassing. She was hysterical and really aggressive towards the interviewer.

The current Israeli administration are a bunch of war mongers with zero regard for international law and civilian life. They are the ones causing the spike in anti-semitic behaviour with their words and actions regardless of how many times they continue to play the anti-semitic card themselves.

Trump has been caught on tape saying he wants to be "dictator for a day"...

Joke or not, serious or not, you do NOT say that when running for president and it shouldn't even be a consideration. I'd be surprised if that video is not used as evidence against him in court now to establish a motive and his clear disregard for the democratic system. As usual he and his cultists will palm it off but can you imagine if Obama or Biden said that? Those same cultists would be foaming at the mouth. This is unacceptable and the far right can really go and **** themselves with how ready they are to destroy everything to get their way, all whilst loudly proclaiming how patriotic they are.

Link to a thread by the Institute for the Study of War
NEW: The US has a much higher stake in Russia's war on Ukraine than most people think.As Americans consider the costs of continuing to help Ukraine fight the Russians in the coming years, they deserve a careful consideration of the costs of allowing Russia to win. 🧵(1/19)

Latest posts