• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

22 October 2016 v Australia, Eden Park, Auckland

Cheika seemed to be fine until Eddie Jones accused him of Allowing himself to be bullied in the media by Hansen, after the first RC game I think. Since then Cheika has been all kinds of stupid and I think Jones got under his skin by suggesting he was too passive in the media. He's a good coach but his media strategy is fairing abysmal. Far too willing to talk about things that aren't related to what goes on on the field.

I wonder if Cheika is turning into the Australian version of Peter de Villiers ? :D

I was a bit concerned when Barrett was subbed off. He had another bad night with the boot. But the first half we only had 33% possession and Barrett only touched the ball 5 times and I didn't see him doing much wrong apart from goal kicking. Maybe the AB coaches judged that his game management wasn't going well so he got hooked.

However, usually Barrett never gets subbed off. The backline gets reshuffled to accommodate him to allow for his skills and speed in the last 20min. However as we saw, the ABs didn't need him in the late romp.

apparently Barrett has had an ear infection this week and he was always only going to play 40 odd minutes.

he didn't play badly other than goal kicking. I was a bit concerned when he was subbed off, knowing that the game was going to open up at some point would have been under normal circumstances the best person.

great game to watch, overall its crazy that the Aussies basically played a blinder on attack and dominated large parts of the game yet the AB's still won with the margin they did! I think Aussie have it in them to have a game like this every now and then, I think the selections were better. Foley obviously had a huge sparking the wallabie attack they just lacked penetration and the ability keep ahead of the AB's scrambling defense.

obviously some controversy as well, Speights try being called back for one. Speight would have scored anyway but the Aussie supporting player clearly changed his line deliberately to block Savea, was not your typical shepherding call, he just straight up took Savea out of the contest which was needless and stupid.

For me I couldn't believe that the ref called the early tackle on Coles ok. Shoulder to shoulder contest is fine but Foley clearly reached his right arm around in front of Coles when he was basically directly behind him and pulled him back, it was basically an early tackle. How on earth does that get called ok? Then the Cruden forward pass, TMO calling it ok and the ref overruling? With that and the way other 50/50 calls went Chekia doesn't really have any genuine complaints about the game.

The big difference was how much more effective the AB's where when they did get the ball. The opening 5min basically told the story of the game for me. Aussies bashing awaay and mostly getting nowhere as the NZ defense holds. Then a turnover, NZ get the ball get up the field and score in no time at all.

Perenara was good again, first time a NZ halfback has scored a try 4 tests in a row? Thats a pretty crazy record....
Ben Smith was absolutely phenomenal. How can he be that good?
Crotty & ALB had another great game, I thought Crotty had a blinder. Some of his defense was simply superb, and really physical in the contact as well.
Todd was very good, he almost single handedly prevented the Wallabies from dominating the first half, key turnovers at key times. IMO there has never been any question that Todd is top level test player. I think the only thing that has worked against hm is that hes now 28 while cane is ~24-25 and Savea is 21? Cane is a different type of player, dominates on defense and does the dirty work. All 3 of our open sides have been very good, IMO Cane has still been our best, Todd and Savea have backed up very well.
This game from Savea typified how he plays. He was by far the worst AB for the first 50min. in fact you could say for 50min he was the only AB NOT genuinely playing well. Missed tackles, dropped ball, blew a try, looked crap under the high ball and really didn't do anything right for 50min then all of a sudden he latches onto a perfect Ben Smith kick and runs in a try, makes two more big runs with the wallabies well and truly on the rack and gaps opening up everywhere and he gets rave reviews.

scrappy game, not one of the best to watch but the wallabies had a go. they are still a long way off though. the forwards were good, would like to see hooper dropped and pocock back in the 7 especially after hooper used his head in an inappropriate fashion..............grub
they need a decent 9, 12 and 15
AB's good as always, not as good as some weeks but maybe credit to the wallabies for that

What a cock, lets see what Cheika says about that.

I think he said that Brodie wasn't entirely innocent. Standing on the wrong side of the ruck, not retreating and standing there holding Mumm's arm back. That is why Mumm elbowed him. Still, not defending it, but I think he has a point from the video footage I've seen of the incident.

I think he said that Brodie wasn't entirely innocent. Standing on the wrong side of the ruck, not retreating and standing there holding Mumm's arm back. That is why Mumm elbowed him. Still, not defending it, but I think he has a point from the video footage I've seen of the incident.

True, but ultimately irrelevant. Its always the retaliator who is punished.

True, but ultimately irrelevant. Its always the retaliator who is punished.

Well no, it wasn't totally irrelevant, as it was Part of the reasoning of the judicial officer for choosing a low end of the offence. This was then reduced by 1 week due to other mitigating factors.

"Having conducted a detailed review of all the available evidence including submissions from his legal representative, I accepted the player's admission that he had committed an act of foul play contrary to law 10.4(a)," he said.

"With respect to sanction I deemed the act of foul play merited a low-end entry point of two weeks.

"Part of the reasoning was that the player acted instinctively in retaliation to his being illegally held back by his opponent upon trying to rejoin play.

"His opponent was behind him when he tried to extricate himself from his opponent's grip and in that process struck his opponent in the face with his elbow.

"The injury, which his opponent suffered as a result of the incident, did not prevent his opponent from playing on at the time of the incident.

"However, taking into account mitigating factors including the player's early plea and his excellent disciplinary record, I reduced the suspension to a period of one week."

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/mumm-to-miss-wales-test-due-to-suspension/

Last edited:
scrappy game, not one of the best to watch but the wallabies had a go. they are still a long way off though. the forwards were good, would like to see hooper dropped and pocock back in the 7 especially after hooper used his head in an inappropriate fashion..............grub
they need a decent 9, 12 and 15
AB's good as always, not as good as some weeks but maybe credit to the wallabies for that

I think thats a very fair assessment.

I think if I focus on the Aussies, to me they did make ground against the AB's but failed to take advantage of it.

I don't know how much of that was because the AB's defense is so well organised and the players so committed to getting back in the line and how much was due to Aussie just not taking the chances they created. Maybe a bit of both, in general the backs seemed to work individually or they would get two players combining well but there was no 3rd or 4th supporting player to really make serious inroads or score the try. It would often just take one good tackle from the AB's to stop a movement.

Matt Todd was also a factor, it seemed like in the first half many times when the Aussies were getting a roll on Todd came up with key turnovers.

Compare that to the All Blacks, a lot of their trys have 5-6+ key players involved in the movement at key times and Aussie would have to pull off 5-6 tackles in a row to slow them down as the get the ball to space and draw & offload really well.

It seems like for now ****le is going to be a big part of the wallabies strategy against the AB's. Makes for messy games, may have helped them close the gap in terms of points differential a bit but will it help them get a win? I think no and I think the more they play that way the more the AB's will adapt.

Bernard Foley did play a blinder, he played very shallow and engaged the AB defenders and it created gaps and more 1 on 1 situations rather than 1 on 2 defenders and it got Aussie going forward. A problem is that hes not going to play that well every week and Aussie don't seem to have alternative x-factor players in the backs to fire with him.

Some huge games from guys like More & Kepu. That was a huge effort from them as ball carriers.

Israel Folau, no doubt he is a great player and amazing under the high ball... But he just seems to be a lone ranger when he makes an impact, it just goes to ground. Maybe he needs to focus on staying on his feet and offloading and he desperately needs some support players. And he needs to be used to chase high kicks more the same way the AB's use Ben Smith. I'm going to compare with Smith again, Folau isn't imposing himself on the game the way smith does. He's sitting back and waiting for it to come to him. He needs to look and study how Ben Smith goes and makes himself part of the game.

Pokcock needs to start, Hooper is a good player but having both on the field isn't a great idea against the AB's and Pocock is just the better option. I think you prob want pocock the full 80 and maybe bring hooper on towards the end have them both on for the last 20 or so.

This was an interesting game for me in terms of the Wallabies pack makeup, usually I would say that the wallabies are the one team the AB's cant beat by just being fitter and outlasting them. But this game the wallabies pack was huge, they outweighed the AB's by some 30kg. When I saw that I actually expected the wallabies to slow later in the game and they did. So the extra size helped the Wallabies combat the AB pack physically but they lost the ability to say with them for the full 80.

Cheika's taking some obscure detail (in this case an NZ newspaper cartoon mocking him) and telling his team it's the opposition disrespecting them, their team and the entire Australian nation is a common tactic amongst Aussie Rules Coaches in Melbourne. Any small comment by the opposition is jumped upon and blown up out of all proportion, with the media usually fully compliant in the "beat up". All designed to get their own team all worked up. I'd say, given how the Aussies played, that it worked for Cheika.
However he needed to leave it there. Continuing on with it after the match just made him look like a poor loser/nutcase, almost bordering on "Trump like".

Israel Folau, no doubt he is a great player and amazing under the high ball... But he just seems to be a lone ranger when he makes an impact, it just goes to ground. Maybe he needs to focus on staying on his feet and offloading and he desperately needs some support players. And he needs to be used to chase high kicks more the same way the AB's use Ben Smith. I'm going to compare with Smith again, Folau isn't imposing himself on the game the way smith does. He's sitting back and waiting for it to come to him. He needs to look and study how Ben Smith goes and makes himself part of the game.

I still think Folau should be played at 13 where he will be able to inject himself into the game and have more opportunities to do the things you are talking about

Pokcock needs to start, Hooper is a good player but having both on the field isn't a great idea against the AB's and Pocock is just the better option. I think you prob want Pocock the full 80 and maybe bring hooper on towards the end have them both on for the last 20 or so.

Cheika still hasn't learned that Pocock is not a No. 8... he is an open-side flanker. He doesn't run the right lines on attack or defence to be a proper 8. Look how often you see Kieran Read ranging wide on attack (scoring on the end of a pass, or offloading to a try-scorer) or pulling off a vital cover tackle on the edges of the field. You NEVER see Pocock do this. The Wallabies need tio find a real No. 8 and a real ball-carrying bust'em-up-the-middle blindside flanker

My loose forward trio would be

6 - Higginbotham*
7 - Pocock
8 - Mccalman

20 -Hooper

* yes I know he's playing in Japan at the moment. The ARU need to address this issue and find a way to pick him

The Aussies definitely looked the best against us that they have of the three games this year and their new boys seem to bring a fresh energy level. I liked the look of Arnold. He was big and aggressive and he busted through Todd's tackle to score a powerful try.
Cheika seems like a good bloke trying to be a hard man and it's not coming off. Once he learns how to deal with defeat and the the post match media he'll be really entertaining because of who he is, rather than in spite of his behaviour. He is certainly a good coach. If you look at his injury list and development efforts, I'd say the Aussies will be back next year better than they were this year.

I still think Folau should be played at 13 where he will be able to inject himself into the game and have more opportunities to do the things you are talking about

Cheika still hasn't learned that Pocock is not a No. 8... he is an open-side flanker. He doesn't run the right lines on attack or defence to be a proper 8. Look how often you see Kieran Read ranging wide on attack (scoring on the end of a pass, or offloading to a try-scorer) or pulling off a vital cover tackle on the edges of the field. You NEVER see Pocock do this. The Wallabies need tio find a real No. 8 and a real ball-carrying bust'em-up-the-middle blindside flanker

6 - Higginbotham*
7 - Pocock
8 - Mccalman

20 -Hooper

* yes I know he's playing in Japan at the moment. The ARU need to address this issue and find a way to pick him

Can you see Timani playing 6 or 8 long term? I thought he had a decent game on Saturday night.

Australia squad: to tour the North:

Forwards: Allan Ala'alatoa, Rory Arnold, Adam Coleman, Kane Douglas, Scott Fardy, James Hanson, Michael Hooper, Sekope Kepu, Marika Koroibete, Tolu Latu, Sean McMahon, Stephen Moore, Dean Mumm, David Pocock, Tom Robertson, Rob Simmons, Scott Sio, Will Skelton, James Slipper, Lopeti Timani

Backs: Quade Cooper, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Nick Frisby, Will Genia, Kyle Godwin, Dane Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, Tevita Kuridrani, Sefanaia Naivalu, Nick Phipps, Henry Speight

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/cheika-picks-three-debutants-for-november-tour/

6 - Higginbotham*
7 - Pocock
8 - Mccalman

20 -Hooper

Well, I know that Higginbotham has signed for the Reds for next season. So he will be available next year, So maybe they should try and make plan just for this November, maybe something what SA Rugby did a few years ago with Heinrich Brussouw's club.

I don't see any reason to drop McMahon or Timani for McCalman at 8. I'm not really sure what he offers there that mean he's of more value than Sean's power or Lopeti's physicality.

I'd go for:
6. McMahon
7. Pocock
8. Timani

20. Hooper

Latest posts