• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

22 October 2016 v Australia, Eden Park, Auckland

Some of you kiwis really get upset by Cheika don't you? He barely seems to exist in Australia - that's how little coverage he gets, but over there you get as worked up about him as a bunch of Trump supporters seeing Hilary Clinton. Don't really know why you even care to be honest - you're bloody winning after all, so who gives a ****?

Only the one in question on this board, and tbh us kiwi fans don't like him either :)

As for Cheika, I actually think he is damaging Aus rugby, the little things he focuses on are trivial and distract from the reality of his teams performance.

There were quite a few positives from the Aus point of view last night and that's where his focus should lie.

Re Speights disallowed try, I could see it going either way so I can understand the disappointment

...but...if a bad call was physiologically damaging to the wallabies that's they gave up on the rest of the game then they have bigger problems than I though

One thing if it was 5 mins from the end with little time to come back but this should have fired them up...

Only the one in question on this board, and tbh us kiwi fans don't like him either :)

As for Cheika, I actually think he is damaging Aus rugby, the little things he focuses on are trivial and distract from the reality of his teams performance.

There were quite a few positives from the Aus point of view last night and that's where his focus should lie.

There were a few positives in the game, but I don't really think Cheika is bad for the game here - the Aussie media like a controversial character in truth - just look at Ricky Stuart in the NRL and guys like Eddie McGuire in the AFL; they give the journos something write about.

The problems with Rugby are much deeper and more structural. Frankly, when it comes to the Wallabies though, people need to get over this notion that we're going to be competitive with NZ in a hurry. We just won't be - the game just is much better structured, more well resourced and played at a uniformly highly level there. It's the problem England have in Rugby League - sure they have a pro comp, but its underlying structure is just much weaker, less well financed and less elite over all, so they just don't win and haven't for literally 50 years now.

Without major reform across the board in Australia and a significant cash injection, that's what the Wallabies are looking at vis-à-vis the ABs

- - - Updated - - -

Just for arguments sake Roostah, since you keep going on about Unions popularity in Australia compared to NRL.
Mate, you just really can't grasp the point being discussed at all can you? Techincally, in terms of team sports Rugby is 5th in Australia though just FYI - it goes like this: 1. AFL, 2. NRL, 3. Cricket, 4. Soccer, 5, Rugby

- - - Updated - - -

Re Speights disallowed try, I could see it going either way so I can understand the disappointment

...but...if a bad call was physiologically damaging to the wallabies that's they gave up on the rest of the game then they have bigger problems than I though

One thing if it was 5 mins from the end with little time to come back but this should have fired them up...

100%. The Wallabies need to be able to cop a crap call and just get on with the job, but they aren't that sort of team anymore. That said, I suspect the ABs would still have run over the top in the final 20 even if it was awarded, because that's what they've been doing all year.

He broke the rules by altering his running line. Why is this so hard for you to fathom? How about he DOESN'T alter his running line and it's a try no issues? Is that too hard for you to accept instead of lambasting the TMO for the correct decision because "mate, he was just jostling mate, crap call mate". Get over it and accept your own players fault.

Yeah... this has just really gone straight over your head hasn't it champ? It's ok if you're having trouble understanding the central point. Happy to spell it out for you if that's what you'd like - just need to ask politely ;) .

lol it's ok if you don't have the mental capacity to follow the discussion princess. You can just keep getting your little knickers in a twist over mean old Cheika if that's what floats your little boat

At Roos-Tah; don't mind the ******** known as 'Kiwi', he's on here as 'Harden Up'.
He'll be back tomorrow as 'Social leper' or something of that ilk.
He's a petulant child who comes here to argue under a pseudonym because if he did it to anyones face he'd get a clip and he's a coward.
He knows nothing about rugby in NZ let alone anywhere else.
He comes on here to **** stir under a variety of names because he has no friends and the admins here don't seem to have the nouse about how to ban him.
He is not representative of New Zealanders, he is representative of dick heads.

I really enjoy your posts Roo (same goes for the vast majority of blokes on here who contribute) and your perspective so please don't let this keyboard warrior put you off posting.

Man this forum has turned to ****. I guess I cant complain because I never contribute. Im drunk so let me try to get some actual discussion going...

Julian Savea: I like how he manages to be in every highlight reel by either running over replacement halfbacks or lying facedown in the background of opposition tries. I thought he was terrible in this game, it blows my mind how people overlook his terrible defense or lack of highball skills and focus on his running in of regulation tries (often with the ball in the wrong hand) and start chanting "Julians Back!" "Here come the bus"

For me he scored 2 and cost us 2 (1 allowed) which makes him worthless.

He was the last line of defense for Ozs first try and was never going to catch him on the disallowed try. Which was a disgrace! Im sick of looking at the fine print, I love that SmartCookie knows the rules inside out and I take his word as gospel but where is the logic anymore? Julian was caught out of position and didnt have the pace to stop the try, so allow the try! If anything allow the try and then award the ABs a penalty at half way for the restart. I dunno, Im hammered right now but this forum couldnt get any worse so allow me to puke forth my own bull****.

At Roos-Tah; don't mind the ******** known as 'Kiwi', he's on here as 'Harden Up'.
He's a petulant child who comes here to argue under a pseudonym because if he did it to anyones face he'd get a clip and he's a coward.

He comes on here to **** stir under a variety of names because he has no friends and the admins here don't seem to have the nouse about how to ban him.
He is not representative of New Zealanders, he is representative of dick heads.

I really enjoy your posts Roo (same goes for the vast majority of blokes on here who contribute) and your perspective so please don't let this keyboard warrior put you off posting.

lol yeah I suspected if I still had my old mod powers and could check the IP I'd find it was him - hence why I was just happy to needle away.

It's interesting the commentary on Rugby here at the moment - if you listen to Triple M and read the fairfax press in Sydney the consensus is very much that we need to stop judging the Wallabies on how well the measure up against the All Blacks, because frankly no one is playing the same game as them at the moment. The fact that the Wallabies came 2nd in this year in the Rugby Championship kinda tells you everything you need to know about how far ahead NZ is right now.

I do think we showed some improvement though, and I like that we have Mick Byrne in the coaching ranks - something tells me that over the next 2-3 years his involvement will start to bare fruit.

IMHO I don't think the Aussies were too bad on attack anyway - unlucky with some decisions...they dominated possession and running metres stats were similar to the ABs...with Quadoh out of the backline the Wallabies functioned better than they have all year....EUREKA
Koroibete should also add another strike weapon next year so a few positives to take forward..

Defensively they were abysmal though - but that is something that can be worked on...

...hopefully the ABs don't read their own press and stay grounded after this because it was only last year that the Aussies kicked our butt and England is looking strong as well...not that greater gap between us but South Africa is slipping..

Ain't that the truth!

Rugby a primary sport in England, Ireland and France?

shatnerWTF.gif

So do I.

I may not always agree with you Roostah, but I respect your Aussie viewpoint

It's interesting the commentary on Rugby here at the moment - if you listen to Triple M and read the fairfax press in Sydney the consensus is very much that we need to stop judging the Wallabies on how well the measure up against the All Blacks, because frankly no one is playing the same game as them at the moment

If you look at the form against all comers since the 2011 RWC, Australia have had 35 wins from 66 matches - 53%. If you take away their record against the All Blacks (1 win and 2 draws from 15 matches - 6.7%) you get 34 wins from 51 matches - 67%.

If you look at the form against all comers since the 2011 RWC, Australia have had 35 wins from 66 matches - 53%. If you take away their record against the All Blacks (1 win and 2 draws from 15 matches - 6.7%) you get 34 wins from 51 matches - 67%.

Yeah, that kinda drives the point home - that's a huge difference and just goes to show the effect of playing something like a quarter of your annual tests (in years when we've played 4 tests a year that's been exactly the case) against the best team in the world.

It'd be interesting to see how that measures up against some of the other nations.

https://youtu.be/SAe0yYYdPnU

I see ABs have announced their squad to tour the north. The usual suspects plus Reiko Ioane. Jordie Barrett to go as an apprentice. No Damien McKenzie or Aikra Ioane though.

https://youtu.be/SAe0yYYdPnU

I see ABs have announced their squad to tour the north. The usual suspects plus Reiko Ioane. Jordie Barrett to go as an apprentice. No Damien McKenzie or Aikra Ioane though.

You must have missed hearing his name Blindside...McKenzie was named as an outside back.

Hookers
Dane Coles (Wellington, 46)
Codie Taylor (Canterbury, 11)
Liam Coltman (Otago, uncapped)

Props
Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury, 55)
Charlie Faumuina (Auckland, 42)
Owen Franks (Canterbury, 87)
Joe Moody (Canterbury, 20)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Auckland, 2)

Locks
Brodie Retallick (Hawke's Bay, 57)
Luke Romano (Canterbury, 26)
Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland, 10)
Samuel Whitelock (Canterbury, 82)

Loose Forwards
Sam Cane (Bay of Plenty, 37)
Elliot Dixon (Southland, 2)
Jerome Kaino (Auckland, 74)
Steven Luatua (Auckland, 14)
Kieran Read, captain (Canterbury, 94)
Ardie Savea (Wellington, 9)
Liam Squire (Tasman, 6)
Matt Todd (Canterbury, 5)

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr–Barlow (Waikato, 24)
TJ Perenara (Wellington, 26)
Aaron Smith (Manawatu, 54)

First five–eighths
Beauden Barrett (Taranaki, 46)
Aaron Cruden (Manawatu, 43)
Lima Sopoaga (Southland, 5)

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (Canterbury, 24)
Malakai Fekitoa (Auckland, 20)
Anton Leinert-Brown (Waikato, 5)
George Moala (Auckland, 3)

Outside backs
Israel Dagg (Hawke's Bay, 58)
Rieko Ioane (Auckland, uncapped)
Damian McKenzie (Waikato, 1)
Waisake Naholo (Taranaki, 8)
Julian Savea (Wellington, 49)
Ben Smith (Otago, 58)

You must have missed hearing his name Blindside...McKenzie was named as an outside back.

Hookers
Dane Coles (Wellington, 46)
Codie Taylor (Canterbury, 11)
Liam Coltman (Otago, uncapped)

Props
Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury, 55)
Charlie Faumuina (Auckland, 42)
Owen Franks (Canterbury, 87)
Joe Moody (Canterbury, 20)
Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Auckland, 2)

Locks
Brodie Retallick (Hawke's Bay, 57)
Luke Romano (Canterbury, 26)
Patrick Tuipulotu (Auckland, 10)
Samuel Whitelock (Canterbury, 82)

Loose Forwards
Sam Cane (Bay of Plenty, 37)
Elliot Dixon (Southland, 2)
Jerome Kaino (Auckland, 74)
Steven Luatua (Auckland, 14)
Kieran Read, captain (Canterbury, 94)
Ardie Savea (Wellington, 9)
Liam Squire (Tasman, 6)
Matt Todd (Canterbury, 5)

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr–Barlow (Waikato, 24)
TJ Perenara (Wellington, 26)
Aaron Smith (Manawatu, 54)

First five–eighths
Beauden Barrett (Taranaki, 46)
Aaron Cruden (Manawatu, 43)
Lima Sopoaga (Southland, 5)

Midfielders
Ryan Crotty (Canterbury, 24)
Malakai Fekitoa (Auckland, 20)
Anton Leinert-Brown (Waikato, 5)
George Moala (Auckland, 3)

Outside backs
Israel Dagg (Hawke's Bay, 58)
Rieko Ioane (Auckland, uncapped)
Damian McKenzie (Waikato, 1)
Waisake Naholo (Taranaki, 8)
Julian Savea (Wellington, 49)
Ben Smith (Otago, 58)

Give me Ireland's prop and midfield options. I really think we're going to win one of these games, that's what will kill me!

I think the TMO was also right to take away that try as Savea was prevented any opportunity for a tap tackle. Agree with the Captains Challenge example though. TMO totally out of order trying to call that forward pass as being flat though and good on Nigel for putting him back in his box.

Oz unfortunately playing well enough to maintain SH dominance next month and win all four tests.

So Luatua is back in the mix? I haven't been following how he has been playing in the domestic matches. Is this a form selection?

Michael Cheika has to be the biggest ******** involved in rugby;

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/sport/rugb...ngry-cheika-peace-drink/ar-AAjhPOM?li=BBqdg4K

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-to-back-down-from-bledisloe-cup-war-of-words

What an unprofessional 'clown'. Imagine letting some stupid Newspaper get to your head so much. His mental capacity is an embarrassment.

Cheika took aim at New Zealand media over being depicted as a clown and then claimed the All Blacks did not respect the Wallabies, suggesting they were involved in the caricature.

Why would you let the opposition call your team clowns and mock the jersey?

I think Cheika simply doesn't understand that the NZ media does not function the same way that the Australian media does. In Australia, there are certain sections of the mainstream media who are, in effect, mouthpieces for various Australian sports teams, both at national and domestic level. He thinks that All Blacks' mouthpiece is the NZ Herald. For example...

That's their go-to (newspaper). Nothing happens without that connection.

What he is implying here just isn't true. The Herald and its sports writers have been among the All Blacks' harshest critics, and they certainly do not run their editorial decisions past the All Blacks' management for permission to go to print.

Plus this...

The story also took an interesting turn on Sunday when it was revealed the cartoonist, Rod Emmerson, is an Australian who at one point had a connection to Cheika.

"Cheika may be pissed at the artwork, but he'll be even more pissed when he realises I am Australian, and his cousin dated my sister,"

... is positively embarrassing for him

Finally, as for "mocking the jersey" and disrespecting the Wallabies, what does he think this is?

all-blacks-haka-handbags.jpg

Latest posts