• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 TRC] South Africa v New Zealand - 31/8/2024

Clarke/Jordan are probably my favourite wing partnership in the game atm, so good
It's the contrast of the players which works so well.

Reminds me of the Jonah Lomu / Jeff Wilson wing combination in the late 90s for New Zealand

The NZ subs didn't add anything. They needed to if they were to hang on.

Springboks played a C game and still won versus the ABs. How often has that happened?

Springboks played a C game and still won versus the ABs. How often has that happened?
I might be being daft but could I ask what you mean?

Felt we got away with one there. Will have to up the accuracy. So many unforced errors but a lot of these players will have settled in that much more now. Bjd is at home at test level but needs to calm down. Louw was class. Nortje almost a mvp. Steenekamp adds so much in the lose without giving anything up at the scrum. And in the backs SFM and Fassi although not error free have such huge ceilings!

Expecting a belter in the 2nd test. Hopefully more accuracy both from us and that the refereeing isn't a discussion point.

Felt we got away with one there. Will have to up the accuracy. So many unforced errors but a lot of these players will have settled in that much more now. Bjd is at home at test level but needs to calm down. Louw was class. Nortje almost a mvp. Steenekamp adds so much in the lose without giving anything up at the scrum. And in the backs SFM and Fassi although not error free have such huge ceilings!

Expecting a belter in the 2nd test. Hopefully more accuracy both from us and that the refereeing isn't a discussion point.
They played very average/poor. You know, a C game. Maybe there is something lost in translation.

I agree with your analysis.

They played very average/poor. You know, a C game. Maybe there is something lost in translation.

I agree with your analysis.
Ah, I get it. Thanks. And agree. Yeah, poor hands. A lot of lost line outs, A bit rushed/forced on attack and loose off loads. That intercept!

NZ were the better side to be sure but there at the end I just couldn't see us lose it our bench made such a positive impact and you just felt NZ were slipping. Needed Barrett or someone more assured at ten IMO and closing out. But honestly we shouldn't have been in it on the score board at that stage.

We were better without the ball and chasing. NZ tries came off botched SA attack rather than constructed play for at least two of them.

Ah, I get it. Thanks. And agree. Yeah, poor hands. A lot of lost line outs, A bit rushed/forced on attack and loose off loads. That intercept!

NZ were the better side to be sure but there at the end I just couldn't see us lose it our bench made such a positive impact and you just felt NZ were slipping. Needed Barrett or someone more assured at ten IMO and closing out. But honestly we shouldn't have been in it on the score board at that stage.

We were better without the ball and chasing. NZ tries came off botched SA attack rather than constructed play for at least two of them.
Sacha was simultaneously brilliant and horrible. His temperament is unbelievable; just constant self-belief.

He needs to start as much as possible for the stormers/Boks over the next 3 years because this dude has IT factor that you can't teach.

Sacha was simultaneously brilliant and horrible. His temperament is unbelievable; just constant self-belief.

He needs to start as much as possible for the stormers/Boks over the next 3 years because this dude has IT factor that you can't teach.
It'll be interesting to see how much time he gets at 10 for us (Stormers I mean now) with Libbok there and Willemse and Gelant as well. That coupled with a lack of world class centers will probably see him at 12 or on the bench more often than not. Especially as he is considered a utility player and Libbok only a flyhalf. I do hope Dobson changes tack though. I believe we can see both SFM and Libbok primarily as fly halves and trust our out and out centers to do their thing. There is a promising young guy with us playing on the wing that I think is our long term 13 for club and country post 2017 rwc. Suleiman Hartzenberg.

But it's a long competition and we are bound to be rotating I'd imagine.

If I was Rassie, I would bring Etzebeth in for BJD (BJD out of the 23) and move PSDT to the flank. I would also bring Le Roux in for Fassi, just for the Big Match Temperament.

I'd also be tempted to go 7-1 and bring Janse Van Rensburg into the bench for Fassi.

If I was Rassie, I would bring Etzebeth in for BJD (BJD out of the 23) and move PSDT to the flank. I would also bring Le Roux in for Fassi, just for the Big Match Temperament.

I'd also be tempted to go 7-1 and bring Janse Van Rensburg into the bench for Fassi.
BJD did have a very poor game! Or at least made two hugely costly errors which overshadowed what he got right. He could get replaced by Louw as well. As the lone Stormers player in the pack I do have a soft spot for him though LOL. I think the lack of lock options ATM will probably see Rassie give him another go. Unless RG is ready next week.

I'm 50/50 on bringing in Le Roux. I can certainly see the reasoning but though Fassi went very well. I still have flashbacks of Shannon Frizell stomping over Le Roux as if he weren't even there in last years RWC. Fassi did well in a similar position today but TBF it wasn't Frizell.

BJD did have a very poor game! Or at least made two hugely costly errors which overshadowed what he got right. He could get replaced by Louw as well. As the lone Stormers player in the pack I do have a soft spot for him though LOL. I think the lack of lock options ATM will probably see Rassie give him another go. Unless RG is ready next week.

I'm 50/50 on bringing in Le Roux. I can certainly see the reasoning but though Fassi went very well. I still have flashbacks of Shannon Frizell stomping over Le Roux as if he weren't even there in last years RWC. Fassi did well in a similar position today but TBF it wasn't Frizell.
Even with Damien back, we will need another fullback for RWC27. I don't see Willie making it much longer. His lack of athleticism is extremely noticeable. Honestly, the same could be said for Reinach/Faf.

Fassi is a great option for 6/2 and a better option for 7/1. Can play wing, fullback, and probably be a halfway decent flyhalf.

Just seen the close up photo to Bongi's try, how that was allowed is beyond basic comprehension, he clearly had no control over the ball while crossing the line.

NZ should have won this and won comfortably…

That game reminded me so much of the 2018 game at Loftus but with roles reversed. There's absolutely no way the Springboks should have won that. People can talk about the Bongi try all they want but NZ had a line-out in SA's 22 at 27-17 and messed it up.

i thought it was a poor Springboks performance. Their error count was way higher than normal and they gifted the ABs 2 tries at least. Sacha is still a rough diamond at this stage of his career but you can just tell that when he gets more experienced and confident in himself, he's going to be something special. I think in time you'll have Williams at 9, SFM at 10 and Willemse at 15 for the Boks. That is a scary thought.

Before the game I thought the Boks would win it in the last 20 but it was tighter than I anticipated. The ABs seem to raise their game at Ellis Park, more than other venues in SA. They really controlled the vast majority of the game. but got poor value from the bench in stark contrast to the Springboks.

The tables have turned in this rivalry I believe. For years the All Blacks would always pip the Springboks at the end of games and SA were mentally fragile and not fit enough when it got tight. I think now the Boks always believe they will overpower and outlast the ABs in the last 20. This SA side know how to win the tight ones, NZ are trying to re-discover that art.

I picked the winner in that match correctly, and it was a great one. Congratulations Springboks!

Last edited:
The tables have turned in this rivalry I believe. For years the All Blacks would always pip the Springboks at the end of games and SA were mentally fragile and not fit enough when it got tight. I think now the Boks always believe they will overpower and outlast the ABs in the last 20. This SA side know how to win the tight ones, NZ are trying to re-discover that art.
Not sure what you mean by "For years the All Blacks would always pip the Springboks at the end of games", because from 2010 to 2018, New Zealand set South Africa aside very comfortably in almost every game, sometimes even destroying it, like the 40-3 (2011), 15-57 (2016) and 57-0 (2017) thrashings. Granted, there were a couple of close encounters, like in 2013 (27-38 at Ellis Park) or 2015 (RC and the RWC semifinal), but they were rather the exception than the rule.

The only notable difference in terms of New Zealand, IMO, is that back then they probably had the best bench in world rugby, which is not the case anymore. Yesterday, the bench was woeful, didn't add anything, while giving away some stupid penalties at the end of the game.

Not sure what you mean by "For years the All Blacks would always pip the Springboks at the end of games", because from 2010 to 2018, New Zealand set South Africa aside very comfortably in almost every game, sometimes even destroying it, like the 40-3 (2011), 15-57 (2016) and 57-0 (2017) thrashings. Granted, there were a couple of close encounters, like in 2013 (27-38 at Ellis Park) or 2015 (RC and the RWC semifinal), but they were rather the exception than the rule.

The only notable difference in terms of New Zealand, IMO, is that back then they probably had the best bench in world rugby, which is not the case anymore. Yesterday, the bench was woeful, didn't add anything, while giving away some stupid penalties at the end of the game.
Bringing up 2016-2017 is disqualifying. Those teams were an aberration in the 100+ year Springbok history.

I posted in 2020 I expected the All Blacks to slip to around 3-5th in the world over the next decade, regardless of the coach. It's a talent reversion to the mean after those historic 2010-2017 years.

Latest posts