• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Ireland vs Italy - 11/02/24

Ireland v Italy (possible): Keenan; Nash, Henshaw, McCloskey, Lowe; Crowley, Murray; Porter, Sheehan, Bealham, McCarthy, Ryan, Baird, Doris (capt), Conan. Replacements: Kelleher, Healy/Loughman, O'Toole, Henderson/Beirne, van der Flier, Casey/Gibson-Park, H Byrne, Larmour.

Rumoured team is whack, bet against the handicap. Like the move from Farrell though, forces Crowley to take control and fleshes out the squad a bit.

Ireland v Italy (possible): Keenan; Nash, Henshaw, McCloskey, Lowe; Crowley, Murray; Porter, Sheehan, Bealham, McCarthy, Ryan, Baird, Doris (capt), Conan. Replacements: Kelleher, Healy/Loughman, O'Toole, Henderson/Beirne, van der Flier, Casey/Gibson-Park, H Byrne, Larmour.

Rumoured team is whack, bet against the handicap. Like the move from Farrell though, forces Crowley to take control and fleshes out the squad a bit.
No Beirne no party. Italy to win by 12.

No issues with team or changes. Don't think we needed to change as much given the way the fixtures fall but understand it. Just hope we keep the levels high despite the changes.

Tadhg Beirne must be confused having a break though. He seems to be going all the time for us.

Small nugget but you'd wonder if true. At time of captaincy rumours were Faz didn't see James Ryan as a top captain. And now Doris is captain you'd wonder is there any truth in it.

Yeah Casey starting is way more positive for me. Zero need for Murray in the 23. I'd imagine Beirne is rested.

Yeah Casey starting is way more positive for me. Zero need for Murray in the 23. I'd imagine Beirne is rested.
Seems all changes are for mange time management. Only one that seems to have failed to make it through injury is Ringrose.

Liked Izekor's cameo last week, but Negri is a big loss for them. Capuzzo more dangerous at 15 but Allan was pretty good last week and think Varney is a downgrade on Garbisi atm.

No issues with team or changes. Don't think we needed to change as much given the way the fixtures fall but understand it. Just hope we keep the levels high despite the changes.

Tadhg Beirne must be confused having a break though. He seems to be going all the time for us.

Small nugget but you'd wonder if true. At time of captaincy rumours were Faz didn't see James Ryan as a top captain. And now Doris is captain you'd wonder is there any truth in it.

He's not a guaranteed starter until Beirne retires. Tough to pick him as captain. Doris looks like the captain elect.

He's not a guaranteed starter until Beirne retires. Tough to pick him as captain. Doris looks like the captain elect.
Don't get me wrong either way is good. Doris, if he makes a good captain, will be next in line and long term.

But I really like the way Farrell has done this switch.

Backrow has alot of change but all Leinster so the unit should be still some bit fluid.
Casey is similar to JGP and Crowley used to him from Munster so same applies.

It's good he kept the back 3 too as they will get 60mins or so to gel again ahead of future tests.
I think all the bench should be impactful also

Thats a bigger pack than faced France, and full of big ball carriers. Normally picking a backrow that big you'd be worried about mobility, but there are no worries in this case. I think you do lose a bit of cuteness with O'Mahony and VdF out but when did we ever have the luxury bringing in the likes of Conan and Baird. It's a huge opportunity for Baird with POM on his way out, and he needs to lay down a marker, although I think Beirne is our future 6 especially now McCarthy has arrived on the scene.

Interesting that he's gone for HB ahead of Frawley in the 5/3. Makes perfect sense, he's the better 10. Loads of options with the bench atm.

It's a huge opportunity for Baird with POM on his way out, and he needs to lay down a marker, although I think Beirne is our future 6 especially now McCarthy has arrived on the scene.
Beirne's 32 isn't he? Not exactly a man for the future.

Beirne's 32 isn't he? Not exactly a man for the future.

I think there's far more in his legs than POMs, and with the Irish player management system he'll be well minded. I suspect, injury permitting, he'll be the Lions 6 next year, so if we get two more years out of him at the top level I wI'll be a very happy man. That gives his successor, whether that's Baird or someone else, time to understudy him and gain experience in time for the 2027 RWC. Farrell has been masterful in the way he has managed succession, but isn't inclined to get rid of players prematurely just for the sake of it.

Latest posts