• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Italy vs England (13/02/22)

On Nowell it is worrying that he has only scored 2 tries in his 13 starts this season
In general he has a pretty porr strike rate
90 prem matches he's scored 28 tries
Always my concern. Plays very well, but does not score enough points. Obviously his Premiership team has spent the majority of his career set up to focus on scoring points with forwards from less than 5 yards out so his role within the team has not been primarily as a strike weapon. However I don't see anything that says he will be an effective scorer of points at test level

On Nowell it is worrying that he has only scored 2 tries in his 13 starts this season
In general he has a pretty porr strike rate
90 prem matches he's scored 28 tries
If he's just in our team just to carry hard then he's doing what we need. He's never scored a huge amount of tries but he's got a bit of dog that we needed last week desperately

I'm no expert on the selections but surely a Smith/Slade combo with a non-Youngs at SH should be getting abundant quick ball and have Italy on the back foot.

Italy 13 - 37 England

A big place Italy may struggle is that, actually, England's defensive system looked quite good last week, even the two tries required very meticulous moves to pull off, issues that hopefully will have been dealt with this week. They may struggle to retain ball and build any momentum

A big place Italy may struggle is that, actually, England's defensive system looked quite good last week, even the two tries required very meticulous moves to pull off, issues that hopefully will have been dealt with this week. They may struggle to retain ball and build any momentum
If I had a pound for every time I've seen Italy retain ball with ease and build momentum it would pay to heat my house for a picosecond.

So what is Jones not seeing in Barbeary? Is it just that he's still learning the position? I'm not criticising (for once), just curious. If he can't make the bench for this we're presumably not going to see him this 6N unless enforced by injury.

There's a fair bit of competition at 8 now, although the jury's still out on who the answer is. I doubt we've seen the last of Binny while Simmonds and Dombrandt will presumably battle it out for the shirt over the rest of this tournament. T Willis too.

Maybe he could play 6, but we look to have gone down the lock route for now. And Underhill and J Willis will be back in the equation as well.

I've heard a few people say that Barbeary has been very poor defensively in his last couple of games. Don't know if that's a general thing with him or if he's just having some off games, but that would certainly be a cause for concern at international level

EDIT: Realised this was something I could check myself. According to ESPN, against Exeter he made 12 tackles and missed 6. Against Sale he made 9 and missed 4. Went for 7 and 1 against London Irish, but based on that snapshot I'd say defence

I haven't watched him closely but do wonder if that's just inexperience in positioning. He fronts up in the carry so he's not likely to be a Mallinder/Cips in the tackle

Happy with that pick. Hopefully Chessum gets at least 25/30 mins to see what he can do in place of Ewels.
If Itoje goes well at flanker, where does that leave Lawes on his eventual return to the squad? I know EJ regards him highly.
Probably bench v Wales and Itoje moving back to the second row in place of Ewels 2nd half?

Think Lawes will come straight in to start when signed off, and itoje back to lock
He's on stand down due to a concussion, so when the doctors sign him off he's good to go, it's not like easing back in after a hamstring, or whatever, injury where you've got to test the waters

Good lineup and should be enough to beat Italy in the last 20 minuites or so but I think they have a team that could hold us till then. However Stuart and Ewels should be nowhere near the side. Much better Locks and Back Rowers available and in much better form. The only good thing is playing at 4 he can focus on his lineout which is the better part of his game but he's been playing so poor atm. Can name 3/4 THs i'd prefer over Stuart for such a big lad he really doesn't bring much to the front row. Youngs and Daly should be done as England players now too but I get Youngs beings experience and Daly versatility at least.

I dreamt that Nowell scores 2 tries today. Also happy Superbowl Sunday!

Do we think we'll have a low scoring game until 60 minutes when we then cut loose or high scoring from the start?

I hate to say this but I think England are a bit of a lost cause for this tournament. We essentially played the last game like Italy play most of theirs. Tonnes of possession with very little to show for any of it. Watching France and Ireland yesterday, who both looked lethal, we look dull and out of ideas. It's seems to have been a downward slide ever since that semi final against NZ.
The game today is a chance to show some real attacking intent, but I agree with many of the comments already made that Jones just doesn't want to allow the team to play to their strengths, and instead has some sort of "system" that frankly isn't working.
I hope today allows for some fun displays of rugby skill, it really should, but it won't mean very much to England, and I fear for what awaits us for the rest of the tournament.

I think they can and will put at least 6 points on the board, but I'd be horrified if England can't score any at all.

Latest posts