• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] Italy vs England (13/02/22)

TEAM

1. Ellis Genge (VC)
2. Jamie George
3. Will Stuart
4. Charlie Ewels
5. Nick Isiekwe
6. Maro Itoje
7. Tom Curry
8. Alex Dombrandt
9. Harry Randall
10. Marcus Smith
11. Jack Nowell
12. Henry Slade (VC)
13. Joe Marchant
14. Max Malins
15. Freddie Steward
Finishers
16. Luke Cowan-Dickie (VC)
17. Joe Marler
18. Kyle Sinckler
19. Ollie Chessum
20. Sam Simmonds
21. Ben Youngs
22. George Ford
23. Elliot Daly

If Itoje works at 6 then at least it opens the door to us potentially going Kruis + Launchbury against teams with bigger packs for example.

If it doesn't work then so be it.

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated by Eddie and I don't like a lot of his decisions, but I don't 'hate him'. Some posters here (and on other forums) seem to dislike him to a slightly weird extent.

Quite often it's the same people who have no respect for our opponents and seem to think we somehow have a divine right to winning every game.

For the most part Italy gave France a good game and had plenty of positives to take away. I don't think they'll be overly scared of us, particularly playing at home and I definitely don't think we should have been sending an even more callow squad than we already are.
Of course no one has a divine right to win every game. However, Italy are a tier 2 nation who haven't won in the 6 nations for over 5 years and have often conceded try bonus points. As an England supporter you expect the team to be capable of comfortably beating such a team, especially considering there is the talent in the side to properly challenge the very best in test rugby.

If Itoje works at 6 then at least it opens the door to us potentially going Kruis + Launchbury against teams with bigger packs for example.

If it doesn't work then so be it.
Like you I'm really pleased to see this.

It can definitely definitely work - I think Itoje has a better skill set for 6 than Lawes. But it may need to be given time - Lawes has permanently moved to 6 whereas Itoje has spent all his recent time in the row. We've spoken about players playing out of their club positions ad infinitum.

I guess we need to understand Jones motivation for this switch - is it for this game, or is it a genuine experiment. If the latter it can't just be abandoned at the first sign of a hitch. That back row does seem pretty balanced for once. Big chance for Dombrandt and quite a few others.

Dombrandt needs a BIG game ....put it to Jones he has the game at 8 that Jones is looking for.
Its really interesting how eddie's points about players actually made sense

Expecting a looser unstructured game suiting dombrandt more than v Scotland, how Marchant recovering from covid would be a lot to ask of centre last week, and the little ****les thats meant George starts over LCD, all pretty valid reasoned points

There's a lot to like there! Youngs not starting makes me so damn happy.

Good opportunity for Will Stuart here; he seems like he's our nailed on second choice but I can only think of the Georgia game where he's actually started. This should give him a decent chunk of time to play with, and we've got Sinckler to come on if it all goes pear-shaped.

Actually... the whole starting team has the feel of giving new options a go, but having experience on the bench as a backup. Quick wiki + napkin maths is giving me 346 caps for the starting XV and 409 caps on the bench

Ewels.
The Office Reaction GIF

The team really excites me, not sure why Nowell and Marchant didn't play in them positions from the start against Scotland really.

Itoje at 6 again is an interesting surprise, definitely could be a world class 6 if given time there but not sure it will happen at Saracens.

On Nowell it is worrying that he has only scored 2 tries in his 13 starts this season
In general he has a pretty porr strike rate
90 prem matches he's scored 28 tries

Interesting how times/roles change

Just been rewatching Jason Robinson's hat trick against Italy in 2004. He was wearing No 12.

Latest posts