• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Except that this place has blown up with the announcement that Beard is a replacement but not so much when Hill (who hasn't achieved anywhere close to what Beard has at the top level) was named in the initial squad. Funny that.
Half the forum turned South African with how bad the initial squad announcement was, tbf
Beards pick is getting more heat because it was a singular announcement made much later, not multiple poor choices all at once

Except that this place has blown up with the announcement that Beard is a replacement but not so much when Hill (who hasn't achieved anywhere close to what Beard has at the top level) was named in the initial squad. Funny that.
That's because it's a call-up from yesterday if 2 players not from months ago and the entire squad which had so many many issues it was hard to focus on one guy.

He's new to international setup, but I'd argue his ceiling is a lot higher than Beard.
I'm not accusing welsh bias, my issue is you're picking a bang average international lock with no real point of difference (someone said one of the best around at defending mauls but that's an exaggeration for sure)
I don't really agree with Hill either but if you're asking who I'd rather have of the two, it would be hill for his freakish size at least
But its Beard over Jonny gray that irks me as much as hill over Gray, who's been a fabulous second row, in lineouts and engine /dirty work for longer than beard, and better than beard.
I would also take Kruis if it was an option ahead of him, you can say about 8 months in Japan but again a highly decorated premiership and European lock, who's won tons with England by being a brilliant lineout operator and locking out his scrum, as well as leading England in mauls for several years.
I just don't rate Beard as a Liom, because he's just about international quality for me
I'd also say, again, please don't use team stats to justify one player. You need more than that, because its others who have stood out ahead of him in that team comfortably
I wouldn't suggest taking George ford just because he reached a WC final, or Billy vunipola as they haven't been good enough.
Its an odd selection and a bit baffling for players like Gray who have been standouts in subpar teams for years
Beard is bigger than Hill isn't he?

International rugby is very very important. Playing it recently is key. I think most coaches would agree on that.

Kruis would've been a joke selection. Pure bants and I can't recall a single rugby person thinking he was a good shout. Says it all really

I'd also add, that wales haven't been blessed with great locks since AWJ, whereas england Scotland and Ireland have. Its a shame for likes of launchbury etc, who if wasn't picked for reasons other than injury I'd be outraged.
What I mean is, I'd say Beard is the equivalent level to Charlie ewels. No real standout ability, but solid, and to me lions have always been about more than that

Beard is bigger than Hill isn't he?

International rugby is very very important. Playing it recently is key. I think most coaches would agree on that.

Kruis would've been a joke selection. Pure bants and I can't recall a single rugby person thinking he was a good shout. Says it all really
Initially definitely not. But If you asked me if kieran read could still play after a year in Japan, your damn right he could
Kruis is a classy operator, and with matches to up the tempo etc, it wouldnt take long to get up to speed. He's the second best English lock around, and more consistent maybe than itoje, and given who I've rated him ahead of, that says it all. Hes got 45 caps and is experienced enough so yeah I 100% would take him ahead of hill or beard
They're the same height beard and hill, but hill is 15kgs heavier

Initially definitely not. But If you asked me if kieran read could still play after a year in Japan, your damn right he could
Kruis is a classy operator, and with matches to up the tempo etc, it wouldnt take long to get up to speed. He's the second best English lock around, and more consistent maybe than itoje, and given who I've rated him ahead of, that says it all. Hes got 45 caps and is experienced enough so yeah I 100% would take him ahead of hill or beard
They're the same height beard and hill, but hill is 15kgs heavier
Fair enough. I think you're bit bonkers if you would've taken Kruis as no one in world Rugby was seriously suggesting a guy playing no international rugby and sub standard club rugby for the best part of a year was a good shout for a lions tour but each to their own.

Fair enough. I think you're bit bonkers if you would've taken Kruis as no one in world Rugby was seriously suggesting a guy playing no international rugby and sub standard club rugby for the best part of a year was a good shout for a lions tour but each to their own.
I mean you're basically saying you cant introduce uncapped players by this logic, and obviously a 45 cap player will adjust easily. He's been playing a different style of game and will probably come back a better player for it, Joe merchant did from NZ rugby. But yeah I guess I do wish it was a fit launchbury instead, he likely would've been going

On Kruis yes I think he has the talent, should he be picked? Probably not he's been a great loss to English rugby and almost certainly should of been in the main squad if he'd not got to Japan.

However I do struggle to include the other Saracens players and specifically exclude him on the basis they were undercooked and look completely devoid of decent rugby but at least played crap rugby for England in the 6 nations. (Reality most of those guys shouldn't be going either).

I mean you're basically saying you cant introduce uncapped players by this logic, and obviously a 45 cap player will adjust easily. He's been playing a different style of game and will probably come back a better player for it, Joe merchant did from NZ rugby. But yeah I guess I do wish it was a fit launchbury instead, he likely would've been going
No I'm not saying that, you're always going to take 1 or 2 uncapped players but there's also a reason why you only take a small handful of hem on each tour. It's not just the lack of international rugby it's that coupled with the fact he's been playing in Japan. You could be generous and say he's learning g a new style but so have the Sarries boys but at least they played some international rugby even if they were a bit ****. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess as we have different standards about the level of rugby people should be playing to be considered for a Lions
Tour.

Half the forum turned South African with how bad the initial squad announcement was, tbf
Beards pick is getting more heat because it was a singular announcement made much later, not multiple poor choices all at once
My point is, that people were happy to admit they were wrong (or stay silent) about the Welsh bias when the squad was announced (as there clearly wasn't any) as you had joke selections like Johnny Hill and, to a lesser degree, Courtney Lawes (as well as 1 or 2 others) but none of them were due to perceived Welsh bias and people seemed ok with that (from a Welsh bias perspective at least, people obviously disagreed with certain selections but this is true of every tour) but now we have 1 player. 1 ******* replacement player who's been called up over 1 other player (Gray) and the Gatlands Welsh bias narrative has reared its head again totally ignoring that if Gatlands has shown any preferential treatment to any one nation its the English as they were truly terrible in the 6N.

I think it's more of a anti-Irish and, less so this tour because of Townsend, anti-Scottish and I bet he doesn't want an English captain for tribal reasons which is definitely against the ethos of the Lions.

Ireland having the least players in this squad is highly questionable, beating both England and Scotland this year and if not for moments of madness from POM and Burns Wales would have been beaten too. Nearly 10 years without finishing below Scotland in a 6n while also dominating their clubs shows how poorly selected the squad was. There's absolutely no way an Irish/Scottish player of Adam Beard's stature makes a Gatland squad and there's a better English option for captain than Murray. I was completely disenfranchised with the Lions already because of Gatland but he's gone even further this time, delighted Johnny isn't there to bail him out when **** hits the fan this time.

What has Kruis done?
4 Premiership ***les
3 European ***les
2 Six nations
1 Grand Slam
1 Drawn lions series
1 Top league championship

Meanwhile Beard
1 Six nations
1 Grand slam

If Eddie hadn't benched him for France game we might have gotten another Grand slam in 2020
You're straw manning my position. If it is my position you're trying to mock?

I thought AWJ won those ***les singlehandedly, with his talismanic brilliance?
This is actually a good point. Considering how bad and average a player AWJ is and obviously Beard is even worse than that isn't it amazing that our 2 locks are that bad yet we still dominated England recently. It boggles the mind. It's almost like they're both decent rugby players or something. Who knows

Latest posts