• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England Squad

Guscott named his back line if all fit in TRP today.
He goes
10 Farrell
11 May
12 Manu
13 Slade
14 Big Joe
15 Watson

He goes
10 Farrell
11 May
12 Manu
13 Slade
14 Big Joe
15 Watson

Hmmmm well JJ played well on the wing, lawes played well at 6 and Manu lasted 70 minutes. Its all worked out for Eddie, what will he do next?

Lawes was OK but he's not good enough to warrant splitting up the kamikaze twins on the flanks
If we want a lock in the backrow then put Ewels at 8

Eddie's Next selection

1 Launchbury
2 Attwood
3 Ewells
4 Kruis
5 Itoje
6 Lawes
7 Underhill
8 Curry
9 Youngs (NEVER EVER SUGGEST ANOTHER!)
10 G Ford
11 J Hill
12 Nick Isekwe
13 Manu Tulagi
14 B Earl
15 Farrell

In all seriousness. Lawes at 6 worked. His carrying was barely acceptable (doesn't make much but doesn't lose the ball) but clearly his primary purpose was to secure line-out ball. He did that pretty well. Secondary was tackling. Between him and Itoje Ireland got 0 change. That allows Kruistoje to be locks which is their job......

As much as I deride Eddie's plans he just thinks differently about the game...

For example who thinks Manu is just a bludgeon? Me previously. But check his breakdown work. He melted Van de Flier on more than one occasion. That first contact at breakdown is critical and 17 stone of angry Samoan (I mean pure bred Englishman) makes a big difference.

Secondary was tackling.
He didn't make all that many tackles tbf,
Less than Itoje, Curry and Underhill (less than half the number Underhill made)

It was his best outing as a 6, but I still maintain he's a significant step down compared to any of the alternatives we have.

Saw the Scrum V lot assessing England vs Wales, god they don't half talk a load of crap. "Wales love going to Twickenham, oh it could be losing to Wales again, England hate Cardiff"

England have beaten Wales more often than they have lost in the last 10 and 20 years and England have beaten Wales in Cardiff more than Wales have beaten England in Twickenham also in the last 10 and 20 years. They really do have selective memories, like all they remember is 2013 and 2015 and nothing else.

Thought Lawes was decent, showed up really well in the early exchanges when were completely on top.

He goes
10 Farrell
11 May
12 Manu
13 Slade
14 Big Joe
15 Watson
Did he opt out of the burning SH question?

Lawes did play well today, but he plays like a lock and unbalances the back row. Had as much of a claim to MoM as anyone.

I'm not going to question Eddies selections again.
Everything came off today , even switching Curry back to 7 and playing Ewels at 8!
Thats the first time in a while Ireland have lost the game before half time.

Wilson just started his first game since last September, played the full 80, made the 2nd most tackles of anyone on the pitch, and barely broke a sweat.

Get him called up

I hope so. I know it worked out today, Ireland didn't exactly help themselves.

Be interested to see if he starts against Gloucester next week or gets brought in to England camp.

Let's hope Watson if back too.

With the way the EPS squad works, can Eddie actually call up people like Dombrandt and Wilson? I thought the deal was that he selects a 30-40 man squad, has to pick his matchday 23 from that, and can only make limited changes each time he names the extended squad, (as opposed to the matchday one).

I thought that was it, barring injury cover. So Obano has come in to cover for Mako, and I guess Slade has come in to cover for Watson, but since Billy wasn't named in the original squad he can't bring someone in as injury cover for him.

I'd be happy to be wrong on this point, and I would like to see Dombrandt or Wilson involved, but it might be that Eddie's hands are tied (by himself, but still...)

People noticed itoje is now being mr peacemaker, especially with sinckler and genge? Seems almost like Jones has told him to keep the hotheads out of trouble.

Eddie's Next selection

1 Launchbury
2 Attwood
3 Ewells
4 Kruis
5 Itoje
6 Lawes
7 Underhill
8 Curry
9 Youngs (NEVER EVER SUGGEST ANOTHER!)
10 G Ford
11 J Hill