• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England Squad

I wouldn't be surprised to see us start Faz/Manu/Slade,

Biggest question is what happens at 15 with Watson back - Daly is one of EJs golden boys: Do they drop Furbank from the 23 entirely, with Watson on the wing Daly at fullback and a centre in the 23 shirt? That seems likely IMO, but also harsh on Furbank

I like Slade a lot but he hasn't played since before Xmas. Chucking him in would be a risk we don't need to take. Ford, Faz, Manu will be fine.

The pre France rumour was Watson at FB and Daly to wing. I expect to see that, but tough on Furbank who's been involved in 2 crappy games without the chance to really show what he's capable of.......but they were bonus caps that he wouldn't have got if Watson had been fit. I'd be happy enough with Furbank at 15 and Watson and May on the wings. Daly is not a natural back 3 player, never has been, never will be and if posters are right that he's lost a yard of gas then he's becoming a poor man's Nowell with a slightly better boot.

Does anyone think Slade is the better option at 13 over JJ? IMHO JJ is currently a mile ahead of any other centre option we have defensively, They both have quite different attacking games not the easiest comparison, Slade clearly is a better kicking option.

Last edited:
I like Slade a lot but he hasn't played since before Xmas. Chucking him in would be a risk we don't need to take. Ford, Faz, Manu will be fine.

The pre France rumour was Watson at FB and Daly to wing. I expect to see that, but tough on Furbank who's been involved in 2 crappy games without the chance to really show what he's capable of.......but they were bonus caps that he wouldn't have got if Watson had been fit. I'd be happy enough with Furbank at 15 and Watson and May on the wings. Daly is not a natural back 3 player, never has been, never will be and if posters are right that he's lost a yard of gas then he's becoming a poor man's Nowell with a slightly better boot.
Watson at FB ive seen go missing, i think his best position for england is wing, i dont think he is the answer.
Id say give Furbank a proper shot, France was a terrible team performance where he didnt do bad but hard to great in that performance. Scotland thought he did well given the conditions and amount of kicking. Vs Ireland he will have a real chance, for me im sure he is solid under high balls and good in defence but needs to prove it, but also he needs to prove he can fit into this England teams attacking structure. Watson fits it on the wing as he is great in the air on attacking kicks and great at beating a defender 1 on 1 but FB for me he doesnt, can be great but isnt the playmaker type that runs at space draws a player and passes, he relies on broken field running but he is devestating if he gets it.

May Watson Furbank(15) as you said
Daly(23)

Furbank may not be the answer but he does have potential to be. Id like him to get a shot. Although maybe id start May Watson Daly. Furbank. Last 20 against more tired legs could be more valuable for him.

Manu and Slade rehabbing with the squad, not in full training.
Lawes "rested", sent back to Saints (are they short on locks atm? Could be that Saints asked if they could borrow him for the prem this weekend)

and for some reason known only to EJ....Cameron Redpath has been called in to train

https://www.englandrugby.com/news/a...Yzo2GanBVEnAU9cdkQZLrDkz4hatkqOd5HKldQ_VwHNhQ
If they are going to call someone who isnt ready yet who has potential and plays 12....call Lawrence. Dont see the hype around redpath tbh, hope im proved wrong but havnt been so far when ive seen him play

Aye, I feel like I've said it a lot but Redpath just doesn't look anything special.
Forgettable u20s campaign and doesn't look at home in senior rugby. Could come good in the end, as he's still young, but I've not seen anything to suggest he's worth the hype - even in flashes.

He's there because of his name, and Scotland sniffing around, rather than his performances. Plenty of other centres in the league they should be eyeing up before him (hell, there's multiple centres at Sale alone they should be looking at before him).

Nothing gets a young player called up internationally faster than doubts about their allegiance.

Aye, I feel like I've said it a lot but Redpath just doesn't look anything special.

About 157 times at the last count and you've been right every time.

As you say, he may come good and the best of luck to him. But just trying to keep him out of Scotland's clutches would be doing the lad a disservice. He's got a far better chance of having a decent international career with Sco than Eng and he's not so talented that we should be going out on a limb for him.

Sounds like he's only there to hold tackle bags, but its all a bit odd. As usual. Just hope he doesn't get his head turned by the rose only to regret it later.

Until he plays his not tied to england??
But if they tempt him with 10 min vs Italy then his decision is made for him. Be great if he comes good but if he gets 1 cap for England amd thats it then he will regret it.

I heard that Tompkins contacted Wales and not the other way around.

About 157 times at the last count and you've been right every time.

As you say, he may come good and the best of luck to him. But just trying to keep him out of Scotland's clutches would be doing the lad a disservice. He's got a far better chance of having a decent international career with Sco than Eng and he's not so talented that we should be going out on a limb for him.

Sounds like he's only there to hold tackle bags, but its all a bit odd. As usual. Just hope he doesn't get his head turned by the rose only to regret it later.

Agreed. As much as we've been burned by Tompkins recently, I wouldn't like to think we'd start capping young players just to prevent them from playing for other countries they're eligible for.

Redpath has trained with the squad on a couple of occasions before, so I'm wondering if Eddie simply wants a centre with a little bit of familiarity with the squad?

Maybe he's anticipating Addison in the Ireland squad and wants the inside track (but then, y'know, the James brothers)

Maybe he's anticipating Addison in the Ireland squad and wants the inside track (but then, y'know, the James brothers)
See i dont think either James brother should make the team even if they are above Redpath.

Typical southerner, racist against northerners

I'm not saying they should be in the squad, btw, just that they're both significantly better than Redpath.
That said: I think they're both better than Dingwall and he's made the squad, so maybe they should be.

Latest posts