• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England Squad

Got bored so made a XV that cant play through injury or hasnt been picked in the 23 for the france game. Using squad players if there is any before going into the prem.

Mako Dunn Williams
Launchbury Moon
Dombrandt Billy Earl
Spencer Umaga
Lawrence Slade (there really arnt many good English 12s bar Tompkins:p and ones in the squad)
Big Joe Watson(15) Nowell

While i just did this out of bordum there is alot of carriers out or no picked atm and how many of these would have slotted straight into the 23 last week?
Mako
Billy
Big Joe
Nowell
Watson. It would be a completly different team able to play with power and speed comfortably.

And why doesnt EJ like Williams? Took cole over him at the WC and now Stuart is above him.

Got bored so made a XV that cant play through injury or hasnt been picked in the 23 for the france game. Using squad players if there is any before going into the prem.

Mako Dunn Williams
Launchbury Moon
Dombrandt Billy Earl
Spencer Umaga
Lawrence Slade (there really arnt many good English 12s bar Tompkins:p and ones in the squad)
Big Joe Watson(15) Nowell

While i just did this out of bordum there is alot of carriers out or no picked atm and how many of these would have slotted straight into the 23 last week?
Mako
Billy
Big Joe
Nowell
Watson. It would be a completly different team able to play with power and speed comfortably.

And why doesnt EJ like Williams? Took cole over him at the WC and now Stuart is above him.
The Devon hairstyle!!!

And let's not forget: the players love him.
They do? We'll have to wait til he's gone and they've retired to find that one out. Publicly I'd love anyone who had the power to cap me for Eng even if I thought they were the biggest plank of all time.

Jones has done some good things and some less good things. He's not a bad coach, but he's no guru either. Our consistent inability to think our way out of problems suggests he's too prescriptive.

I like people who think outside the box and he's definitely one of those. I don't like irrational and he's definitely prone to that - on no planet was last weekend's back row a good idea, and Dombrandt's exclusion from the EPS when many of our big carriers were out or doubtful was plain barmy. His biggest weakness has been a failure to correct some long running sores - mental flakiness, SH and Daly at 15 being blindingly obvious ones.

The thing is with Daly at 15 he offered another kicking option from hand and another strike runner, once he gets going he is quite slippery. On the wing he is not the kicking option and he doesn't go hunting for the ball off his wing, a la Nowell. With the game we developed of kicking for territory and pressure the opposition into mistakes he was great. Last week we had a game plan that did not suit the players he picked, maybe on purpose, maybe not. As soon as Manu went off Ford, Farrell and Daly should have been putting the ball into space and asking the French to turn and run it back.

Attacking is only one part of the fullbacks job though,
Defensive positioning and skill under the high ball are more important and he's severely lacking there

I'm a fan of Daly's boot, but he's just shocking in the air. I can't remember the last time he won a contested high ball- unless you include the little pat back that gave the ball straight to a French player anyway.

I'm a fan of Daly's boot, but he's just shocking in the air. I can't remember the last time he won a contested high ball- unless you include the little pat back that gave the ball straight to a French player anyway.

Nothing a soapy pool noodle won't solve.

Attacking is only one part of the fullbacks job though,
Defensive positioning and skill under the high ball are more important and he's severely lacking there

I suppose the question is: do we have a fullback candidate that has all three of those skills? Can't think of one, unless Furbank turns out to be the man, so something has to be sacrificed. I must admit, I miss Mike Brown, but would we have gone as far in the WC with him at FB?

Eddie said he's resting his WC players for the summer tour of Japan, so expect a youthful squad full of the likes of Willis, Dombrandt, Lawrence and every other player people are complaining he's ignored to be selected for that and the Barbarians game beforehand.
So Genge LCD Stuart Kpoku Moon Willis BCurry Dombrandt Mitchell Thorley Lawrence Marchant BigJoe Furbank, you mean a youthful side like that?

I suppose the question is: do we have a fullback candidate that has all three of those skills? Can't think of one, unless Furbank turns out to be the man, so something has to be sacrificed. I must admit, I miss Mike Brown, but would we have gone as far in the WC with him at FB?
I always wonder the same. Brown will make that 50 50 catch and will make the last ditch tackle, yet wont out gas the last defender and offload to put others in.

Just like mako vs marler. Both good in defence. But marler far out scrummages mako. Yet Mako carries harder, has much better handling and just wants to be involved alot more.

I really hope Genge and Furbank are the answer because MOST other positions are pretty solid with minor question marks.

So Genge LCD Stuart Kpoku Moon Willis BCurry Dombrandt Mitchell Thorley Lawrence Marchant BigJoe Furbank, you mean a youthful side like that?

Not enough locks and your scrum half is too fast, please pick a slower one.

Well yeah. Or Obano, Barbeary, Painter, Stooke, J Hill, T Hill, Earl, Mercer, White, Grayson, Segun, Manu Vunipola, P Cokanasiga, Ibitoye, Malins. There really are quite a lot of options these days. :)

Well yeah. Or Obano, Barbeary, Painter, Stooke, J Hill, T Hill, Earl, Mercer, White, Grayson, Segun, Manu Vunipola, P Cokanasiga, Ibitoye, Malins. There really are quite a lot of options these days. :)
Segun is dog **** and ibitoye needs to to learn to tackle first I think ngl. Smith has to be the 10 surely!

Segun is dog **** and ibitoye needs to to learn to tackle first I think ngl. Smith has to be the 10 surely!

Forgot about Marcus Smith. :eek: Which just goes to show, lots of good options about. Good times for English rugby. I remember the mid-noughties when we tried to replace Wilko and Grayson with Shane Geraghty and Andy Goode! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Is that Ben White? From Tigers...the one SH slower than Ben Youngs? Manu vunipola is decent but isnt epic. Segun needs to work on defence but yes definitly some good young players. And smith for FH as i forgot to add one in.

Is that Ben White? From Tigers...the one SH slower than Ben Youngs? Manu vunipola is decent but isnt epic. Segun needs to work on defence but yes definitly some good young players. And smith for FH as i forgot to add one in.

Well Eddie picked him for the Baa-Baas last year...:):confused::D:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Tbh shall we move this convo to the England rugby thread not Scotland vs England

Latest posts