• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 7: Highlanders vs. Blues (08/04/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Highlanders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Blues.png

Venue: Forsyth Barr Stadium
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Highlanders: 15 Ben Smith (captain), 14 Tevita Li, 13 Malakai Fekitoa, 12 Richard Buckman, 11 Patrick Osborne, 10 Marty Banks, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Luke Whitelock, 7 Dillon Hunt, 6 Elliot Dixon, 5 Tom Franklin, 4 Alex Ainley, 3 Siosuia Halanukonuka, 2 Liam Coltman, 1 Daniel Lienert-Brown

Substitutes: 16 Greg Pleasants-Tate, 17 Aki Seiuli, 18 Siate Tokolahi, 19 Joe Wheeler, 20 Liam Squire, 21 Kayne Hammington, 22 Fletcher Smith, 23 Matt Faddes

Blues: 15 Michael Collins, 14 Matt Duffie, 13 Rieko Ioane, 12 George Moala, 11 Melani Nanai, 10 Piers Francis, 9 Augustine Pulu, 8 Steven Luatua, 7 Blake Gibson, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Scott Scrafton, 4 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 3 Charlie Faumuina, 2 James Parsons (captain), 1 Pauliasi Manu

Substitutes: 16 Matt Moulds, 17 Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 18 Sione Mafileo, 19 Patrick Tuipulotu, 20 Akira Ioane, 21 Billy Guyton, 22 Bryn Gatland, 23 Sonny Bill Williams

Last edited:
This game is going to be intense! it's a make or break for both teams really and should set the tone for the rest of their season. With word SBW is returning, potentially Moala +SBW could be some spectacle if SBW is match fit. The All Blacks now have an embarrassment of riches at centre.

I feel like the Highlanders are going to edge it again, but it's going to be a much more open game than the first one in Auckland. The midfield battle will be key for the Highlanders, containing Moala/Ioane/SBW is key & not allowing the Blues to move it out wide to Duffie and Melani. Buckman is always so consistent in defense & Fekitoa has shown recent form. But I'm sure Moala will do plenty of damage at some point, it's going to be a fantastic watch.

Whitelocks in stellar form at the moment and will probably be the difference in the forwards. The scrums and lineouts will be an interesting battle to. The Highlanders have an underrated good pack.

This & the Chiefs vs Stormers are the games of the round, looking forward to both!

The winner of this will in all likelyhood be the team to round out the play-off spots looking at the bad way the Aussie conference is in so that puts extra significance on this fixture. I'll be watching this, the Stormers/Chiefs tie and Sharks v Jaguares.

The winner of this will in all likelyhood be the team to round out the play-off spots looking at the bad way the Aussie conference is in so that puts extra significance on this fixture. I'll be watching this, the Stormers/Chiefs tie and Sharks v Jaguares.

How come the Sharks are currently not in a WC spot being on 18 points and the Blues on 15?

How come the Sharks are currently not in a WC spot being on 18 points and the Blues on 15?

5 teams come from the joint Australia/New Zealand Conference while 3 come from the joint South African conference.

5 teams come from the joint Australia/New Zealand Conference while 3 come from the joint South African conference.

Ah of course, I forgot about that. 8 teams in one conference 10 in the other.

Yeah the reserved spots will continue to make a mockery of the competition. This time against probably either the Jaguares or Sharks but TBH the Highlanders or Blues have a tougher line-up of matches so fair dinkum.

Hoping we return to round robins and while I can understand preserved spots for top teams of each country it shouldn't extend beyond the top team and it should reserve home fixtures IMO.

If we can build on the commitment we've shown the last couple of weeks then then we're in with a shot....but like always who know?!

on the most basic level to me this is a story of one team struggling with injuries and depth but playing well as a team vs another that has a stronger squad that struggles with consistency complete 80min performances.

The highlanders should win this going by recent performances and current form but the Blues have the squad and potential to win this game if they can put a complete 80min game together.

SBW must be due back, Moala has been in fantastic form. The two of them together I think makes the most potent midfield combo in NZ by some margin. Potential is one thing, they haven't had any game time together yet!

I do like the way buckman has been playing recently and I think he has really contributed to the improving performances of the highlanders. He makes good decisions, he makes all his tackles, he pretty much always retains the ball in contact and he is deceptively hard to tackle and put down. I think Buckman is part of the reason Fekitoa's form has improved.

Will be interesting to see if Ben is fit.

Are you a Blues supporter Larksea? How are fans feeling about Tana & what do you make of Francis getting starts over West?

I think Larksea is a Chiefs fan...

Can the Blues forwards, in particular the tight five, make a genuine showing for 80 minutes. That will be critical.
When the Blues forwards show up then it changes the face of the match.
What will the handling be like?
The last time these two met at Eden Park the Blues couldn't catch a cold.
SBW is unlikely to play a prominent role as he is unlikely to be match fit. I can't see him doing 80 minutes, if he plays at all.

I think Larksea is a Chiefs fan...

Can the Blues forwards, in particular the tight five, make a genuine showing for 80 minutes. That will be critical.
When the Blues forwards show up then it changes the face of the match.
What will the handling be like?
The last time these two met at Eden Park the Blues couldn't catch a cold.
SBW is unlikely to play a prominent role as he is unlikely to be match fit. I can't see him doing 80 minutes, if he plays at all.

The media seem to be under the impression he's starting. Ioane possibly to replace him later in the game?

The Blues have really missed Luatua, they were matching teams upfront before his red card. I think he's due back this week isn't he? He will really help the cause.

He will as long as he can keep his temper in check.
I think he's a fine player and I have no idea where that rush of blood to the head cam from, however, he is a monster for us and we need him on the park for 80 minutes.
Nice to see SBW back on the park whatever his game time. First game back he probably wont play a big role. Truth is we need him.
For the Blues its all about the tight five.
If they get it right and don't go MIA then we have a real chance against a team that should win, at home, at least on recent seasons.

Ihaia West is too poor a game manager to pair with Pulu. Both are fast, adrenaline junkies, who struggle to find their roles in tightly contested matchups. West has been much better off the bench, but will be out for a month with an ankle injury. Young Gatland gets his look now.

Francis will be leaving at season's end, but is a much better organizer. Stephen Perofeta will be their future 10.

Both may be a bit cautious though so let's not write them off just yet

i dont need to be confident for them to play well

Latest posts