• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] QF1: Brumbies vs. Hurricanes (21/07/2017)

Canes team named! As expected, Coles back on the bench, Barrett back starting and Aso out. Gone with Jordie again at 13 and Nehe at FB, which I am very happy about! Can't wait for this game...

20139766_10155296137021335_851568779074921103_n.jpg

Can't believe may is still starting.
CJ surely has more to offer than julian.
Prinsep imo is a liability. Too many mistakes at crucial time s of the game.

Like the starting forward pack

How often have the 'Canes had an off day since the 2016 drubbing by the Brumbies early in the season? The team announced today is a ripper - just a bit sad that Aso is still not right to play and Jordie does a Mils type move again. Still prefer to see Nene at 13 and Jordie at 15. In the past the Brumbies could beat a team like the 'Canes by rolling them up front, but not these days. The 'Canes pack is as good as any in the comp at set pieces and faster than them all at broken play. To my mind the 'Canes have 3 of the 4 best hookers in NZ and this weekend we will see the best two share the duties.

Lol, I obviously don't believe in that "kiss of death" praise. These guys are the real deal and luck has nothing to do with it. Boyd/Plumtree can teach Hansen/Smith a thing or two and hopefully that will become obvious in a few days. Sorry to bore you guys by being so predictable, but i'll say it again - best 'Canes team in history and, even without Aso, the best backline you will see anywhere in the world at any level.

Haha, yup you got 2 things wrong in 7 words Red Enigma. Nehe is not a 13, he can either play on the right wing or at fullback.
The funny thing is I've seen Red Enigma refer to him as 'Nene' in every post he's made about him lol. At first I just assumed it was just a typo, but I'm pretty sure he actually thinks his name's 'Nene' :D

The funny thing is I've seen Red Enigma refer to him as 'Nene' in every post he's made about him lol. At first I just assumed it was just a typo, but I'm pretty sure he actually thinks his name's 'Nene' :D
Which is quite funny because nene in French is a vulgar word for ***s

he's got a point tho. canes are notorious for being giant killers then losing to minnows. canes have to be mentally ready for this game and not look ahead to the next .
whilst i didnt really see what nubiwan saw in the brumbies chiefs game (i thought brumbies kept shooting themselves in the foot), i see the brumbies winning if everything goes right for them and canes have an off day. brumbies have nothing to lose; that makes them dangerous.
I was just surprised by the control the brumbies were able to acheive playing one out rugby, and turn phase after phase for just about the opening 20 minutes. I also thought they were on the wrong end of a couple of iffy calls by the ref, and once that score board started going agains them, the inevitable happened. I tend to air on the side of underdogs, since I really do not have a favourite side. So I might be a bit biased when things go against the weaker team. Just thought the score flattered the Chiefs, who were also missing players, as were brumbies. I don't expect brumbies to beat the canes, but would hardly surprise me if they win a tight contest. Probably end up for 50-nil.

Sorry to all the Nehe lovers for my touch typing errors (keys adjacent). Once you make the typo you usually keep making it until you do some serious redressing. It get harder as you get older, I should know, I am an ageing author who writes 60,000 words in a good month.

Language exists to communicate. When I called Nehe "Nene" everyone knew who I was talking about so please drop the nitpicking.

As far as boxing Nehe into either wing or fullback positions, that remains the decision of coaches and hopefully some are more lateral thinking than others and don't judge possibilities without first putting them to a meaningful test. A fast and skilful 13 of his type could play merry hell with defences if the backline is set deep to counter Lions like defence rushing. A fast fullback sweeps behind the 12 and takes a pass direct from 9 or 10 (already a common move), takes on the opposing 13 and passes to Nehe who is in open ground with a winger outside him but probably not needed other than as a decoy. Conrad Smith broke the line with guile, as did many past AB centres of relatively light weight. I have always argued you need to keep your centres on their feet rather than the SBW style of passing on the way to the ground.

Love most comments in this forum for the thinking that supports them - if all the flowers in a garden were the same colour how boring it would be. So, to make sure that someone stands tall, arrogant and dismissive, everyone who does not agree with my belief that the 'Canes will destroy all comers and retain their ***le no matter who they play or where, should settle for being ashamed and embarrassed as things eventuate. For me, if it all goes pie-shaped I will do what all good authors do, change my pen-name, address, wife, friends, etc etc and return to the forum as a humble new member who will call Nehe by his correct name!

Life is great.

Termite went into an empty bar and yelled out - :Where's the bar tender?"

Urgh. Disgusting try.

Edit: The whole idea of knock ons is to avoid ridiculous try's like that. Didn't enjoy that at all as a neutral.

Yep his hands where up so IMO he tried to play it.

B it the laws are the laws.

Yeah no doubt within the laws and granted it's rare. Felt a try was probably coming but would have a preferred a bit of skill.

Canes kickin at 16-12. Short on confidence? Got to say, canes are fortunate to be this close.

If the brumbies can maintain their poise for 40 minutes, then they could easy take this.

That yellow card is harsh.....

Latest posts