• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 6: South Africa v New Zealand (07/10/2017)

For goodness sake Cooky, you really know how to suck the enjoyment out of a forum...
Give it a rest.

There's two things rugby related that gets my heart racing. First one is the Welsh national anthem sung IN WALES, the second one is ANY form of the Haka. I just wish the crowds would SHUT UP and they should run subtitles so we know what is said. It's just amazing.

Agreed, the Welsh do a fantastic job on their anthem... I also like the French, Irish, Scottish and Italian anthems as well.
If England were allowed to sing 'Jerusalem' that would be awesome at Twickenham.

The Kiwi national anthem is a bit of a dirge in English but in Maori it becomes slighlty exotic and much more palatable.

Agreed, the Welsh do a fantastic job on their anthem... I also like the French, Irish, Scottish and Italian anthems as well.
If England were allowed to sing 'Jerusalem' that would be awesome at Twickenham.

The Kiwi national anthem is a bit of a dirge in English but in Maori it becomes slighlty exotic and much more palatable.
Is it wrong that I love the Australian anthem?

Agree nz anthem better in Maori. In English people realise we're begging god to protect us

Agree nz anthem better in Maori. In English people realise we're begging god to protect us

Well, I happen to like "Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrica" but you've probably not heard it properly until you hear the version played by these guys

large-01.jpg

yeah, not a huge fan of ours, would be happy to just have the Haka as our Anthem if you know what i mean

..are we just going to not mention Spuds quoted himself and called it amazing?....yeah, probably for the best

Anyway, this is over. The guy thinks a Haka and Kapa are the same thing.

This is amazing. People think Haka and Kapa are the same thing? My god, and this is a Rugby Union forum?

We can always rely on the internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. What really psses me off about ignorant trolls like you is that you think all you have to do is Google a few words and then you think you know everything about everything.

My late wife of 19 years was Ngāti Porou (same Iwi as the man who wrote Kapa O Pango as it happens) and she was a Kapa Haka teacher at a local school for 9 years. I think I probably have a better understanding of Haka and other components of Māori performing arts than most people on this forum.

At least NZ anthem is actually about NZ and has the name of the country in its lyrics; England/GB national anthem is not even about the country it is about the Sovereign and how long she may reign over us. That the country's very existence, including defeating our enemies and defending our laws, depends on her existence. It's pretty irrelevant to most British people.

We can always rely on the internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. What really psses me off about ignorant trolls like you is that you think all you have to do is Google a few words and then you think you know everything about everything.

My late wife of 19 years was Ngāti Porou (same Iwi as the man who wrote Kapa O Pango as it happens) and she was a Kapa Haka teacher at a local school for 9 years. I think I probably have a better understanding of Haka and other components of Māori performing arts than most people on this forum.
Also the author of Ka mate, Te rauparaha, was chief of ngati porou. He was a brilliant warrior leader but I'll probably get in trouble with some of the iwis for saying that.

At least NZ anthem is actually about NZ and has the name of the country in its lyrics; England/GB national anthem is not even about the country it is about the Sovereign and how long she may reign over us. That the country's very existence, including defeating our enemies and defending our laws, depends on her existence. It's pretty irrelevant to most British people.
True. Seems a bit weird but I am a colonial

yeah, not a huge fan of ours, would be happy to just have the Haka as our Anthem if you know what i mean

..are we just going to not mention Spuds quoted himself and called it amazing?....yeah, probably for the best
yeah I saw that but I'm ignoring trolls

Yes! Its an awful song, hardly any of us know the words and the music is not at all anthem like.

I always think the NZ one sounds better (the Māori version as you say), the tune of th French one is how I think an anthem should sound.

I really like the Maori in the New Zealand anthem, it's amazingly melodic and quite beautiful. Then there's the passion from the Argentinians and Irish, also like the Scotts' Flower of Scotland because it's like they're dissing England every time they sing it.

Come to think of it, I pretty much enjoy all the anthems except God save the Queen and Advance Australia Fair because they're really boring and don't do their countries any justice, it's impossible to sing them without making it seem like you're singing a school hymn you'd rather not be imo.

SA have a great anthem, Xhosa, Sesotho, Zulu, Afrikaans and English. Makes me proud to hear a once divided nation singing together in all those languages, being at the stadium and hearing it from so many people at once has to be one of the highlights of my life.

Given up yet? Damn kids hey :)

I currently libe in london, bearing all the many costs that come with that, in a difficult economic environment filled with doubt about what Brexit outcome is likely to be foisted upon us by a bunch of thoroughly inept Conservative self centred kleptocrats who only seem to own an over inflated concept of their own abilities as they bumble and stumble their way toward a series of halted discussions that are paralysing the business fraternity with doubt and indecision while foodbanks multiply at an exponential rate, over 5 million children live in poverty, a dementia tax is on the horizon again, the NHS is slashed and burned, govt workers are trapped in a wage freeze lasting years, over 90 kids a day are put into foster care, 365 days of the year, the highest figure ever, and the richest people in the country are enjoying a 10% tax boreal on their earnings while the national debt has increased by £0.8 trillion during the Tory 7 year period of Austerity.
I already have a lobotomy.
Every day.
What sort of bottle are we talking about here?

Latest posts