• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 4: New Zealand v South Africa (16/09/2017)

57-nil.
It's not even worth ragging on my Saffer acquaintances.
That is a scoreline that makes the victory hollow.
No, I am not getting down on my AB's for winning by too much.
The AB's played a fabulous entertaining game of running rugby and I loved watching the tries, but...
When a top tier side, who have genuinely looked like they were turning the corner and coming back into some old school form gets a drubbing like this, it doesn't feel right.
The coach/manager needs a rocket. Defence, defence, defence.
They also need to move quickly to convince the playing squad that this was a one game aberration, a blip, and it can be resolved and progress can continue.
Last week they held Aussie to a draw away in Perth.

Galumay mentioned prior to the game that the AB's had not put together a perfomance they were completely happy with this year and a big effort was due and it came against the Bokke.
There wasn't a team on the planet that could live with that kind of AB performance.
That doesn't mean the AB's are unbeatable, far from it, because the AB's don't always play as well as this for 80 minutes. In fact this would be the first time this year they have put this kind of performance together.
Last week they struggled with Argentina.
They are still undergoing transitional aspects in their personnel.

The hard part for me to understand is where was the hard grit in defence I expect from a Springbok team?
South African teams are tough, they fight hard all the way to the line and you have to earn your victories against them.
This result has no reflection of the core values you expect from a Bok side.
So the win feels kind of hollow...

I haven't felt so frustrated and annoyed after a loss for a while. I must admit, this one is hard to take. Take nothing away from the All Blacks, but the Boks should never have lost this far. They were really improving this year, beating France 3-0, beating Argentina 2-0 and coming from behind and nearly beating Australia in Perth. This team has the belief and fighting spirit that were missing last year. How did everything go so wrong? Last year if the Boks lost 57-0, I would have understood as they were very poor and in disarray, but this year?? Let's hope they can get up and carry on. This was like someone punching you in the gut without warning you. The Bok is lying on the ground trying to get back its breath, but it will get up again.

Hey AC - take note - it's time to rethink how you interpret positives cos this is how the AB's see their own performance.

http://m.sport24.co.za/sport24/Rugb...d-win-not-good-enough-say-all-blacks-20170917

The All Blacks gave themselves a pass mark but said there was still a lot to work on as they reflected on their record 57-0 demolition of South Africa.

But scrum-half Aaron Smith said there were signs it was not the complete performance the All Blacks were searching for "We came out in the first 10 in that second half and we were average and a bit sluggish," he said.

"We have still got improvements. Nehe (Milner-Skudder) scored that try in the corner and we walked back and you always know that it's not a good feeling when you're not trying to get back (quickly).

Wow - Sorry to say but AC just isn't in the same space when it comes to measuring acceptable performance.

kind of a bizarre game and it seems like I'm not the only one who felt a bit hollow after the game. We shouldn't beat SA like that and we really need their rivalry. I expected and looked forward to a tight contest and I didn't get to see it.

However I dont think this game was a true representation of where the sides were at. The crazy thing is this AB's side is only really starting to gel. New front row, new blindside and a new back 3 while we are still trying to find out best midfield combination. I still predict that we are not going to see the best from this team till he end of year tour.

The way this game went, the boks started very strong and looked very good. But when they gave a couple of small chances an the ABs started racking up points it looked like the boks quickly lost belief. Some aspects of their game were a disaster, the scrum and lineout was unbelievable. To beat the AB's the boks need to hold their own in the scrums and get the better of the AB's in the lineouts. However the AB's lineout is starting to hum right now. With whitelock, retalick and Read with coles throwing this current lineout may be the best we have ever had.

The AB's scrum has been great too, just like he did in 2015 Laulala has come in and been brilliant, he really thrives in test rugby and the AB environment. Hames did a solid job too and they were both brutal around the middle on defense.

Squire was brilliant for 25minutes or so and it was a shame to lose him but Scott Barrett was excellent filling in at 6. It looked to me like he really added to the scrum as well?!? and that try he scored was a classic, pretty impressive for a lock to get back turn around and get through such a small space.

Ioane was devastating, tied defenders into knots. it seemed like the gaps were out wide, in the middle channels players like Crotty, SBW and McKenzie couldn't find space but out wide there were gaps everywhere. I was concerned of the balance of the back 3 without Dagg but in the end they were never really under pressure outside the first 15min so it didn't matter.

I must say I dont know SA players and selections that well but I know Rhule is one of the worst defenders in super rugby. You can't hide players like that against the AB's. His selection didn't make sense to me and it was exposed.

I think this was a great performance from the AB's back to front. not complete by any means but I think some credit goes to the boks defense in the midfield. At least that was strong.

Cane was mind blowing good and created chaos at the rucks. he went off then Perenara came up with some key turnovers. AB's bench was huge Ofa's best performance in black so far. Maybe Barretts best test so far this year.

Ioane was devastating, tied defenders into knots

....because he runs at the GAPS not at the players.

You have a look at all his line breaks... In the vast majority if them, he lines up the would-be tackler and steps them into the gap (where possible, on the weak shoulder of the opponent). He doesn't try to be a battering ram and crash his way through. You watch the break that led to Retallick's try...

...he was confronted with four potential tacklers. He steps outside the first one (Marx), inside the second one (Rhule), a burst of acceleration to defeat the third (du Preez) followed by an immediate step to his right to beat the 4th (Hougaard?)

He hardly had a hand laid on him... he didn't break those tackles, he simply avoided them altogether

Last edited:
On the starting AB players performances;
Very impressed with Liam Squire in his 28 minutes or so, he was attacking the line carrying the ball like a wild bear. His driving runs were reminiscent of a young Kaino.
Squire has to be good because Fifita is in the wings and he looks a bit special. However Squire was good. He was taking two and three tacklers at a time and showing he is not lacking in pace and power.
Sam Cane; on the second viewing of the game his input especially in the first half was impressive. His tackling is nothing short of menacing. He hits with genuine aggression and rarely misses his mark. He was on fire.
Sonny Bill; this might come across as odd but when you watch it again you will see two defenders on him all the time, which is why he didn't seem to shine as much as the other players around him, he was taking the heat. Yet still he made offloads and protected possession effectively. He was even free for an easy try but Coles after looking at him went inside and gave the gift to Retallick to stroll over. He is still a big player for us and Crotty looked very good again in this game, not least because the heat was more on SBW.
Aaron Smith; the mercurial left foot kick after the quick tap that sat up like a birthday present for Reiko was sublime. His pace of passing as well helped to move the backline along quickly and kept the Boks on the back foot scrambling in defence. He monstered his opposite number.
Beauden Barrett; he just does so muh other than place kicking. His marshalling of the backline, his defensive cover, his electric pace, his clarity of vision for absolutely cheeky offloads and gliding runs. I start to wonder if there's anything he cannot do...
Kieran Read, the old warrior, a powerhouse and ultra reliable on defence and in the lineout, he's no slouch at carrying either
Reiko Ioane; pace, power and guile, he's not a block buster in the mould of Julian Savea or Jonah, he reminds me much more of JK, he hits the lines, looks for space and swerves and steps for a big man, he's a revelation.

Last edited:
Ioane was devastating, tied defenders into knots. it seemed like the gaps were out wide, in the middle channels players like Crotty, SBW and McKenzie couldn't find space but out wide there were gaps everywhere. I was concerned of the balance of the back 3 without Dagg but in the end they were never really under pressure outside the first 15min so it didn't matter.

I just love the fact hes not afraid to hit gaps back infield, he always runs too his support. there have been plenty of very good wings who would always default to stepping outside to try and use the touchline, eventually defenders will read that

hames in his defence got better as game went on. got owned first 15 mins but wasnt all his fault. but if u gonna talk the talk u gotta walk the walk. when crockett came on he owned it and showed that maybe he should start. i usually hate on crockett but i was real happy to see him have an awesome game. showed his brutal technique at scrum time and pushed around his opposite.
reiko is amzin.
retallick and whitelock are prob our greatest lock pairing in my era. better than ianJones and robinBrooke imho. their workload just leaves me in awe. if they aint tackling they clearing and then they throw in some ball carries. superhuman.
im a hater on tuugafasi but he had a blinder . if he keeps it up i might become a fan. i enjoy watching players earn redemption and ofa really earnt his jersey
gotta say glad barrett had an acceptable game. other than kickin off the tee he didnt do much wrong last week i thought. happy that this performance will get media off his back.

When the AB's start the razzle dazzle and the passes stick no one can go with them, and the passes stuck esp in first half on Saturday.
However, the Boks looked weak in parts they are usually so strong. Lineouts, forward rumbles and the midfield. Did you ever think you'd see an All Black bump off a Bok midfielder like LB did. That should never happen. I remember those Bok midfielders from the 70's. They were big strong and smashed AB midfielders.

When the AB's start the razzle dazzle and the passes stick no one can go with them, and the passes stuck esp in first half on Saturday.
However, the Boks looked weak in parts they are usually so strong. Lineouts, forward rumbles and the midfield. Did you ever think you'd see an All Black bump off a Bok midfielder like LB did. That should never happen. I remember those Bok midfielders from the 70's. They were big strong and smashed AB midfielders.

Nope, and did you also see what Crotty did? He smashed through not one, but TWO (yeah, count 'em, TWO) Bok Locks.

Can you imagine any midfield back smashing through Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha?

that was a vintage hit up from Crotty. And laid the platform for the try that was scored a few passes later.

kind of a bizarre game and it seems like I'm not the only one who felt a bit hollow after the game. We shouldn't beat SA like that and we really need their rivalry. I expected and looked forward to a tight contest and I didn't get to see it.

However I dont think this game was a true representation of where the sides were at. The crazy thing is this AB's side is only really starting to gel. New front row, new blindside and a new back 3 while we are still trying to find out best midfield combination. I still predict that we are not going to see the best from this team till he end of year tour.

The way this game went, the boks started very strong and looked very good. But when they gave a couple of small chances an the ABs started racking up points it looked like the boks quickly lost belief. Some aspects of their game were a disaster, the scrum and lineout was unbelievable. To beat the AB's the boks need to hold their own in the scrums and get the better of the AB's in the lineouts. However the AB's lineout is starting to hum right now. With whitelock, retalick and Read with coles throwing this current lineout may be the best we have ever had.

The AB's scrum has been great too, just like he did in 2015 Laulala has come in and been brilliant, he really thrives in test rugby and the AB environment. Hames did a solid job too and they were both brutal around the middle on defense.

Squire was brilliant for 25minutes or so and it was a shame to lose him but Scott Barrett was excellent filling in at 6. It looked to me like he really added to the scrum as well?!? and that try he scored was a classic, pretty impressive for a lock to get back turn around and get through such a small space.

I must say I dont know SA players and selections that well but I know Rhule is one of the worst defenders in super rugby. You can't hide players like that against the AB's. His selection didn't make sense to me and it was exposed.

I think this was a great performance from the AB's back to front. not complete by any means but I think some credit goes to the boks defense in the midfield. At least that was strong.

Cane was mind blowing good and created chaos at the rucks. he went off then Perenara came up with some key turnovers. AB's bench was huge Ofa's best performance in black so far. Maybe Barretts best test so far this year.

I'm not sure what is so confusing about Rhule's selection? I'm confused that you're unaware of the racial quota system in SA Rugby?

Don't worry, it's okay to just shrug and say "oh well I hope SA gets its house in order so we can have competitive matches against them again" because I know for the rest of the world black-on-white racism is not as sexy as white-on-black racism, even when it directly violates a World Rugby bye-law.

So just keep on racking up the wins and records against the "mighty" Springboks. Lots of more hollow victories up for grabs for many years/decades to come with the quota targets more aggressive every year!

I'm not sure what is so confusing about Rhule's selection? I'm confused that you're unaware of the racial quota system in SA Rugby?

OK,Steve-O. First let me say, I'm hearing ya brother. I think the reverse racism that is happening in your country with regards to sports team selections is every bit as vile as the selection policy under Apartheid.

That said, do you really not have a black right wing in South Africa better that Rhule? Really? Could you not get a release for JP Pieteresen? How about Dillyn Leyds? Lwazi Mvovo? Lionel Mapoe? Cornal Hendricks?

At least these guys can TACKLE!!!

Wow, I'm at a loss for words. I knew we were going to lose, but not by this margin. But this isn't what's bothering me, what's bothering me is how calm Allister Coetzee was after the match, in his interview, and the remarks that has been said afterwards. I'm shocked that he's not trembling in his boots and having a hearing as soon as the plane lands in SA in front of SARU. I'm shocked that there isn't an automatic termination clause in AC's contract if the Boks lose by 50 points or more. And a shutout??!! Really? We had one opportunity to score 3 points, and we couldn't even manage that.

The memes says it all:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Rugb...eme-crazy-after-boks-worst-test-loss-20170917

DJ79FfHX0AAVJPo.jpg

f11bc76fc4584b38a3a85b0650b56de6.jpg

1581c5bdc4234d0b936a86d73714b1db.jpg

I'm actually in quite good spirits. Didn't watch the game as I would rather watch my son at play. Heard we got hammered and thought..

We were going to lose anyway. Whether its 20 or 30 or the eventual 57 matters little to anything short term.

What NZ did to us was a huge favor IMO as I was starting to get the feeling we in SA were plastering over cracks and Coetzee was getting the idea he could afford to go at this test rugby business half tilt. Surely we will be forced to address our selections and approach again? I feel we were slowly drifting away from what looked like a 'new' approach and one better suited to our current crop of players. Are we still stuck with AC and his pet projects? He seems defiant in the media. Chop.

I will catch up soon enough but I think I have a good idea of what to expect as I expected as much even if I grossly underestimated the eventual margin.

I think y'all are apportioning blame in the wrong place by hanging this on AC. Imagine if Shag had selection criteria such that at least 50% of his run-on, and half his bench team had to be selected from Super Rugby Franchises that had the letter "b" in their name! Currently, only six players fit that bill.

Ofa Tu'ungafasi - Prop
Blake Gibson - Flanker
Jerome Kaino - Flanker
Akira Ioane - Eightman
Rieko Ioane - Wing
Sonny Bill Williams - Centre

First, that means no Read, no Cane, no Squire and no Ardie Savea in the starting XV and only two of them on the bench.

Second, he has to drop six players in his squad and replace them with Blues players. Players who would probably have to be dropped?

one out of Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara and TKB (replaced with Augustine Pulu)
one out of NMS, Dagg and Naholo (replaced with Matt Duffie)
one out of Crockett and Laulala (replaced with Sam Prattley)
one out of Whitlock, Retallick, S. Barrett & Luke Romano (replaced with Patrick Tuipulotu)
one out of B. Barrett, Sopoaga and McKenzie (replaced with Ihaia West or Bryn Gatland)
one out of Coles, Taylor, Harris and Riccitelli (replaced with James Parsons)

All of the existing Blues players, and all of the replacement players have to be selected for the match day 23.
That is the kind of constraints that the South African government (who are REALLY to blame for this) put AC under. Is it any wonder he can't pick a competitive team?

I'm actually in quite good spirits. Didn't watch the game as I would rather watch my son at play. Heard we got hammered and thought..

We were going to lose anyway. Whether its 20 or 30 or the eventual 57 matters little to anything short term.

What NZ did to us was a huge favor IMO as I was starting to get the feeling we in SA were plastering over cracks and Coetzee was getting the idea he could afford to go at this test rugby business half tilt. Surely we will be forced to address our selections and approach again? I feel we were slowly drifting away from what looked like a 'new' approach and one better suited to our current crop of players. Are we still stuck with AC and his pet projects? He seems defiant in the media. Chop.

And then the memes are priceless.

I will catch up soon enough but I think I have a good idea of what to expect as I expected as much even if I grossly underestimated the eventual margin.

Latest posts