• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 2: New Zealand v Australia (26/08/2017)

....maybe!

I have to admire the effort, finding 120 something of my posts to 'dislike',

Anyway, lets not worry about that, we have rugby to talk about!

Having lost $50 backing those Wobblies last weekend, should I double down this weekend? Statistically I should end up in front at some point, but using the past as an indicator of the future has its hazards! The fact that the Wallabies have won around 30% of games against the AB's in the past attracted me to the 7:1 odds last weekend, I can now get 15:1 for Saturday's game. What could possibly go wrong?!

KeyboardWarrior has been banned.

On with the match discussion!

Just watched a video of a discussion on ABC news channel in Aussie yesterday about the state of Aussie rugby. The prognosis was bad and the explanation is very simple: they are the only traditional rugby country with four major winter sports for males; AFL, RU, RL and Soccer. AFL dominates in all the major stats even though 10 of the 18 clubs are in or around Melbourne. and four other states have 2 teams each. In short, few Wallabies come from Victoria, the bulk coming from NSW and QLD where RU is lucky to be 2nd fav sport and even that is open to debate!

ARU does not get its hands on the pick of the sporting crop the way NZRU does. I love AFL and follow the Sydney Swans. Our highest paid two players are built like AB locks but far more mobile and are also the guys expected to kick goals. One gets A$1m a year every year of a 10 year deal, the other gets A$800,000. (Buddy Franklin and Kurt Tippett respectively.) If the ARU could get these sorts of guys away from AFL - and they have thousands to pick from - they would be a totally different kettle of fish.

In passing, there have been notable attempts for rugby players (Union/League) to try AFL. These guys played for the Wallabies/Kangaroos but could make minimal impact. The guys were backs, might be different if a decent loose forward had a go.

If the situation continues to follow recent trends, don't expect the Wallabies to challenge the AB';s any time soon, they simply do not have the available stock unless a few hundred kiwis cross the ditch young enough to qualify to play for Aussie. It is not overly hard to get into the Wallabies compared to the AB's so there many well be a case for that type of migration. Could be fun - both teams doing a haka!!

Simmons is out, Arnold to start again.

That seems a better option to me anyway, was it injury?

EDIT - what I am seeing is Coleman out with an injury, Simmons & Arnold starting and Rodda on the bench now?

That seems a better option to me anyway, was it injury?

EDIT - what I am seeing is Coleman out with an injury, Simmons & Arnold starting and Rodda on the bench now?

I've seen the same. News gets worse and worse for Oz.

Just watched a video of a discussion on ABC news channel in Aussie yesterday about the state of Aussie rugby. The prognosis was bad and the explanation is very simple: they are the only traditional rugby country with four major winter sports for males; AFL, RU, RL and Soccer. AFL dominates in all the major stats even though 10 of the 18 clubs are in or around Melbourne. and four other states have 2 teams each. In short, few Wallabies come from Victoria, the bulk coming from NSW and QLD where RU is lucky to be 2nd fav sport and even that is open to debate!

ARU does not get its hands on the pick of the sporting crop the way NZRU does. I love AFL and follow the Sydney Swans. Our highest paid two players are built like AB locks but far more mobile and are also the guys expected to kick goals. One gets A$1m a year every year of a 10 year deal, the other gets A$800,000. (Buddy Franklin and Kurt Tippett respectively.) If the ARU could get these sorts of guys away from AFL - and they have thousands to pick from - they would be a totally different kettle of fish.

In passing, there have been notable attempts for rugby players (Union/League) to try AFL. These guys played for the Wallabies/Kangaroos but could make minimal impact. The guys were backs, might be different if a decent loose forward had a go.

If the situation continues to follow recent trends, don't expect the Wallabies to challenge the AB';s any time soon, they simply do not have the available stock unless a few hundred kiwis cross the ditch young enough to qualify to play for Aussie. It is not overly hard to get into the Wallabies compared to the AB's so there many well be a case for that type of migration. Could be fun - both teams doing a haka!!

Everything they say is true, but it smacks very much of political spin. To it spin, the ARU are fortunate that RU is a major winter sport in their country compared to others where the only one is soccer. Has this popularity split changed? If not, why didn't it hold the Wallabies back in 91 and 99 and many years either side of that when they had great teams?

I know next to nothing about the AFL, but from what I've seen, there are some really freaky athletes there who it would be great to see have a go at RU, but it appears that there's little to no incentive for them to do so.

FWIW, I've taken Australia +29, but only because it was a free bet!

Aussie simply has to come wioth a do or die attitude in their defence.
They must get it right because Beauden Barrett, Mr Crotty and SBW have an eye for a gap.
Outside them is gas and talent to take advantage of any gaps in support running where the young McKenzie looks to have excelled in Super rugby and in the test last weekend.
Support running.

Last edited:
How is the weather in Wellington? Watching the Mitre 10 Cup game in Auckland and its pretty horrible looking there!

Chilly but dry.
Sorry , for Galumay and other ocker members that should read, "Chully but dry."
:D

Deciding who you'd like to win out of the All Black's and Wallabies is like deciding whether you'd rather be punched in the face or kicked up the arse.

Hoping for a good game. The all blacks look good. Them 5 points may be the only ones the wallabies get

Me oh my we have a game!

This is much more exciting than last week!

Latest posts