• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: England vs. France (04/02/2017)

I think Genge will be a cracking player, and quite probably the long term answer as our starting LH. But he's still quite new to the front row - would be wrong to expose him against France, but I hope he'll get the chance of a few minutes here and there in other games.

Not bothered by his temperament, as Cockers said its better to have to drag someone away from the fight than to it. He's not a total liability and in a couple of Leicester's humiliations this year he's kept going when others have raised the white flag.

I think Genge will be a cracking player, and quite probably the long term answer as our starting LH. But he's still quite new to the front row - would be wrong to expose him against France, but I hope he'll get the chance of a few minutes here and there in other games.

Not bothered by his temperament, as Cockers said its better to have to drag someone away from the fight than to it. He's not a total liability and in a couple of Leicester's humiliations this year he's kept going when others have raised the white flag.

That has always been my view - players can calm down with age and experience but if they don't have that dog about them, they'll never find it.
Just think what a player Sheridan could have been with some real anger behind him.

Decent line up I reckon but still find it difficult to believe we're so short of options in the back row.

Are the French "Fijian" wingers suspect in defence? Will Ford /Farrell/Youngs pressure them with high balls?

Similarly I'd have thought that France will be keen to see if there's a hangover of Argentina affecting Daly's composure with one or two of their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Not bothered by his temperament, as Cockers said its better to have to drag someone away from the fight than to it.

I'd never heard this phrase before, nice turn of phrase and the sentiment is spot on.

Just think what a player Sheridan could have been with some real anger behind him.

Always thought similarly about Robshaw, fine player that he undoubtedly is. Not sure Binny's really got it either.

You can't have 15 start a fight in an empty room merchants, but you need a few. Eddie clearly values the aggressive mindset of the likes of Farrell, Brown & Hartley.

That has always been my view - players can calm down with age and experience but if they don't have that dog about them, they'll never find it.

Decent line up I reckon but still find it difficult to believe we're so short of options in the back row.

Like when him and Bakkies went head to head in the Lions second test

Always thought similarly about Robshaw, fine player that he undoubtedly is. Not sure Binny's really got it either.

You can't have 15 start a fight in an empty room merchants, but you need a few. Eddie clearly values the aggressive mindset of the likes of Farrell, Brown & Hartley.

England may not have 15 who could start a fight in an empty room, but we do have a 15 who could start a fight in an empty aircraft hanger! Is Hartley a particularly aggressive player? He does his fair share of getting nose to nose with the opposing front row, but that's pretty standard. I don't think that his demeanour around the pitch is particularly confrontational outside the odd well publicised instance of thuggery or stupidity.

A massive task for France today which i think is a bridge too far at this present time, they have shown more confidence in th last season but that will not be enough to upset a very good England XV and of course playing at home. I think there could be flashes of brillance from the French but they need more game time together and maybe a squad that has the next WC in mind, instead of the next International, this has always been a problem for the French, the French version of the 59 boring old Farts does exist even in France. Just hoping we see a good tournament throughout and even if England do win, they are massive favourites unless of course you're Irish Welsh or Scot, hopefully on the day rugby is the winner.

Am i ridiculous to think we'll win this by max 10? Don't see us blowing France away. Happy to be proved wrong.

Am i ridiculous to think we'll win this by max 10? Don't see us blowing France away. Happy to be proved wrong.

I think we'll win by more than 10 (famous last words...) but I don't think it would be surprising or disastrous if it was closer than that. It would be both if we lost though

No but I think there's a distinct possibility of a late try to gilt the result.

Oh... great.... the BT sport team. <_<

Triteness epitomised.

Last edited:
I'm no longer taking this game for granted I mean if Scotland can beat Ireland anything could happen (except loosing to Italy we'do have screw up badly to let that happen).

I'm no longer taking this game for granted I mean if Scotland can beat Ireland anything could happen (except loosing to Italy we'do have screw up badly to let that happen).

COme on, where's your English Arrogance? This is the best time to wind up the Irish

Tanglefoot & pork scratchings on the go, pre match preparations complete. Looking forward to this!

I bought a mini keg of Hobgoblin for this weekend well and truly set.

Latest posts