• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: England vs. France (04/02/2017)

Thoughts on why May is at 14 rather than 11? Seems strange, surely you put him on his familiar wing and let the person covering take the other wing?

Thoughts on why May is at 14 rather than 11? Seems strange, surely you put him on his familiar wing and let the person covering take the other wing?

I thought it was a bit odd having May switch wings. Maybe its the Watson/Nowell reverse numbers scenario at play.

C3qai2sWQAA8-lq.jpg:large

That tight 5 is not small.

I've never understood why France keep chopping and changing their 9 and 10.

When May played 14 vs Argentina, for the 10 minutes he didn't have to cover both wings he was on the right.

That France team is scary, hopefully we can run them around a bit. We played against a massive SA scrum so I'm not too scared.

Disappointed that Bastareud didn't make the team, as someone else said, watching JJ, May and Daly tear past him would have been very entertaining.

Also Genge. I would have loved to see a Genge-George-Sinkler front row rampaging around the pitch in the last 10.

Last edited:
Maybe May's on the right as its the more difficult defensive assignment and he has more experience of defending on the wing?

That's a lot of kicking options in the back line and a lot of jumping options in the line out. I'm not sure how good the French back 3 positioning/lineout is, but I suspect potentially iffy, so I think we might see a lot of kicking. Beats trying to trundle it up through the pack.

edit: Having Mullan rather than Genge waiting for when Slimani gets off the bench strikes me as a really good thing.

Maybe May's on the right as its the more difficult defensive assignment and he has more experience of defending on the wing?

That's a lot of kicking options in the back line and a lot of jumping options in the line out. I'm not sure how good the French back 3 positioning/lineout is, but I suspect potentially iffy, so I think we might see a lot of kicking. Beats trying to trundle it up through the pack.

edit: Having Mullan rather than Genge waiting for when Slimani gets off the bench strikes me as a really good thing.

Good points, them. The weather isn't looking great either so getting drawn into an arm-wrestle - fitter pack or not - wouldn't be the wisest move. Looking forward to Maro's patented line-out steals from a standing jump again.

Genge hands have been very good the last month or so.

Mullan scrummaging hasn't exactly been solid for Wasps......

Man I can't wait! I don't think we have a team that can beat you in Twickenham just yet but I do think we'll put up a good fight!

Very happy Bastareaud didn't make the cut. I've always had a soft spot for him and think he gets alot of harsh criticism but ultimately he just doesn't fit the profile of an international centre.

The only change I would make for is Chouly for Goujon buyt Chouly is a line out chief so I do understand why he's been picked to start.

I think ultimately the thing that will swing it in our favoure is that it's the Chinese year of the Rooster! Let's hope the rugby gods look kindly upon us! We're gona need it!

It's set to be a good one!

Attachments

• 1486109843823.jpg
    1486109843823.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 14
I think he's gonna be a really good player but he's too raw atm, and for all the talk of his temperament being better these days it isn't, and that needs cooling.

I think he's gonna be a really good player but he's too raw atm, and for all the talk of his temperament being better these days it isn't, and that needs cooling.

If this was against Italy, I'd be very disappointed... Mullan isn't the answer to very many questions, certainly not ones we should be asking in the next couple of years.

But for - "who is the safest backup to Joe Marler in case he can't play the whole France game", he might be the answer.

Well it is only seen him lose it once recently and that was at the embrassinng Glasgow game, that didn't happen. A lot of teams have targeted him and he has kept his cool. (More so than Hartley has for saints...).

I just don't see what Mullan brings he is considered solid but wasp scrum hasn't been considered strong.

Are the French "Fijian" wingers suspect in defence? Will Ford /Farrell/Youngs pressure them with high balls?
For me, yes and yes, and I'd like to see them both clattered early in the game as they are real threats in attack.
I believe that France will come on leaps and bounds in this 6N once they've found some confidence and hope it ain't going to be tomorrow!

Latest posts