• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] SA Transfers & General Discussion

The Sharks always had a good team, it's not the players that was the problem in the past, but more the coaching and the style they played. I don't know if Gary Gold can change that, but they have quality everywhere.

I do however think that with Willie le Roux there, they might just be a bit more attacking than they used to be. But for me the microscope should be on Lambie, and how he marshalls the troops. If he doesn't fire, then the Sharks will yet again have a bad season.

I think to a degree the issue was the player personell though. Alberts, Deysel, the Du Plessis bro's, F Steyn and even JPP are all quality players but not what one would call 'exciting' or full of 'flair'. Jordaan back, Keegan Daniel back, Le Roux in there and Cooper, Oosthuizen all add some x-factor even if I wouldn't want any of them ahead of the formerly mentioned for test rugby I feel at SR level with more space and less pressure they should actually fair better for the Sharks. Its not as if Reinach/Lambie are vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting more optimistic about the sharks chances this year. I still do not rate Gary Gold as a good coach. I Believe he will be better served as a full on director of rugby working with youth and scouting structures.
Robert du Preez is exciting but the proof will be in the first 5 Super rugby matches to see if he was able to influence the attack of the sharks. Omar Mouneimne who is the new defence coach is relatively unheard of in South Africa and all i know is he worked under Nick mallet as the defence coach of the Italy national team. Our defence was shambles last year and he will have his work cut out to improve it after Gold absolutely destroyed the great defensive platform that was set by Jake white in the year before Golds arrival. If player quality alone is something to go the sharks would have won many super rugby ***les by now. Unfortunately this is not the case and the coaches has been the downfall of the sharks in recent times (and injuries to an extent but that happens to most Super rugby franchises). Tactics and man management including player motivation has been lacking at the sharks. You hear every year on how South African teams work on attack. Mostly we dont see those results of greater attacking play and in some cases where the attack has beautifully flourished like at the cheetahs then the defense was severely lacking.

With all this said im hoping a strong Squad this year can win us the conference and hopefully to make the final
My Best Sharks XV is:
15 - Willie le Roux
14 - JP Pietersen
13 - Paul Jordaan
12 - Andre Esterhuizen (would have liked tim whitehead to sign but we will see where he ends up)
11 - Lwazi Mvovo
10 - Patrick Lambie
9 - Cobus Reinach
8 - Renaldo Bothma
7 -Jacques Potgieter
6 -Marcel Coetzee
5 -Ettiene Ooosthuizen
4 - Stefan Lewies
3 - Coenie Oosthuizen
2 -Kyle Cooper
1 -Tendai Mtawarira

Subs
Ruan Botha
Keegan Daniel
Jean Deysel
Du Preez twins
Lourens Afriaanse
Franco Marais
Ruan Botha
Sbura Sithole ( he will start many matches at 13 this year) and will be injury cover at wing.

Stronk line-up. Stronger than I'd have thought end last year. Assuming the team clicks the Sharks should be pushing where I'd have thought it'd be a two horse race between the Lions and Jaguares.

I still think the Stormers will also make the play-offs simply because of an easier conference but we won't look near as scary as you do on paper at least.

Is Marcel Coetzee playing though? I heard he wasn't available this year though I can't call the source reliable.

is Marcel Coetzee playing though? I heard he wasn't available this year though I can't call the source reliable.

Yes as far as i know he was named vice captain this year. But with the state of rugby reporting here you never know.

Well my team just got hit in the ballsack hard!!

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/pollard-only-back-in-2017-20160210

So we're stuck with Tian Schoeman and Francois Brummer at the fly half position. There were even some rumours about Derick Hougaard making a comeback (Who is a much better player than Brummer).

This weekend the Bulls and the Lions play a warm-up in my hometown again which seems to me like it's going to become a permanent fixture (I hope).

Alright.

So there were 3 warm-up matches played on Saturday that involved SA teams and here are the results:
Blue Bulls 28 - 24 Lions
Stormers 29 - 14 Jaguares
Cheetahs 21 - 11 Kings

Anyone know if Faf de Klerk is playing? It looks like the Lions are favoring 'in-house' option Ross Cronje over the Pumas 'import' in De Klerk which is a pity IMO.

I couldn't catch the Bulls-Lions obviously. Super Sport really should consider putting out the money to have these war-up games televised. I cant think they won't get a return.

Anyone know if Faf de Klerk is playing? It looks like the Lions are favoring 'in-house' option Ross Cronje over the Pumas 'import' in De Klerk which is a pity IMO.

I couldn't catch the Bulls-Lions obviously. Super Sport really should consider putting out the money to have these war-up games televised. I cant think they won't get a return.

Faf was at the Stadium. But he didn't play.

I got to meet a couple of the Bulls players on friday. One of my friends is the Director of Sport at a local high school here in town, and the Bulls diverted their players to all the local schools on friday for a meet and greet. Then afterwards the players and the local rugby coaches had a get-together at a hotel here in town, and my friend managed to slip me in as an "assistant coach". I didn't think Jesse Kriel was such a big guy until he stood in front of me...

Faf was at the Stadium. But he didn't play.

I got to meet a couple of the Bulls players on friday. One of my friends is the Director of Sport at a local high school here in town, and the Bulls diverted their players to all the local schools on friday for a meet and greet. Then afterwards the players and the local rugby coaches had a get-together at a hotel here in town, and my friend managed to slip me in as an "assistant coach". I didn't think Jesse Kriel was such a big guy until he stood in front of me...

Lucky man. Its a surprise at times. I've met Andries Bekker and Breyton Paulse (amongst others of course). Both of them were a surprise. It really is an experience (a humbling one) shaking hands with Bekker and Paulse you don't even recognize he is so tiny your brain just cannot fathom he played pro rugby (if you manage not to miss him in the first place that is).

The funny thing is I went to school with Andries Bekker (thugh he was a year below me and went on to Paul Roos early on in his highschool carreer) but he never struck me a a big guy. I guess those extra 10cms and bulk make all the difference. He was an awkward super-scrawny 2m tall lad when he left.

I wonder what the deal is with De Klerk. Most importantly I drafted him into a fantasy rugby team but also, our Bok options at 9 all have a questionmark next to their names at this stage and I thought De Klerk was the pick of the SA scrummies in last year's SR competition.

Last edited:
Lucky man. Its a surprise at times. I've met Andries Bekker and Breyton Paulse (amongst others of course). Both of them were a surprise. It really is an experience (a humbling one) shaking hands with Bekker and Paulse you don't even recognize he is so tiny your brain just cannot fathom he played pro rugby (if you manage not to miss him in the first place that is).

The funny thing is I went to school with Andries Bekker (thugh he was a year below me and went on to Paul Roos early on in his highschool carreer) but he never struck me a a big guy. I guess those extra 10cms and bulk make all the difference. He was an awkward super-scrawny 2m tall lad when he left.

I wonder what the deal is with De Klerk. Most importantly I drafted him into a fantasy rugby team but also, our Bok options at 9 all have a questionmark next to their names at this stage and I thought De Klerk was the pick of the SA scrummies in last year's SR competition.

Well his knee was heavily strapped and he didn't warm-up with the other players before hand. Maybe it's just a precaution?

Hope so. I certainly havn't seen any news linking him with serious injury and I've been looking.

Isn't he not an import anymore? I was under the impression that he signed fully with the Lions franchise for both CC and Super Rugby at the end of last year?

Isn't he not an import anymore? I was under the impression that he signed fully with the Lions franchise for both CC and Super Rugby at the end of last year?

That's correct.

He's now a fully contracted Lions player and not a Pumas player.

That's correct.

He's now a fully contracted Lions player and not a Pumas player.

I forgot about that. I suppose I'll hold onto him. The other quality alternatives are the 3 Chiefs players and even with Pulu injured the Chiefs are still likely to do what they do and alternate between TKB and Weber and I don't want to be carrying 2 scrumhalves or sit without an option every other week.

Still on the Lions; is Harold Vorster injured? I just can't seem to find anything rearding the Lions off of internet media. Its all Stormers with the Bulls and Sharks getting a look in regularly enough but that's about it.

I forgot about that. I suppose I'll hold onto him. The other quality alternatives are the 3 Chiefs players and even with Pulu injured the Chiefs are still likely to do what they do and alternate between TKB and Weber and I don't want to be carrying 2 scrumhalves or sit without an option every other week.

Still on the Lions; is Harold Vorster injured? I just can't seem to find anything rearding the Lions off of internet media. Its all Stormers with the Bulls and Sharks getting a look in regularly enough but that's about it.

Harold tore his cruciate knee ligaments during the Currie Cup. He'll probably feature later on in the season.

So... Saru letting hougaard go to the warriors instead of the Bulls. Does Saru even have an ambition for South African sides so win Super rugby again? Was it not the point for the Saru contracted players to stay in SA?

So... Saru letting hougaard go to the warriors instead of the Bulls. Does Saru even have an ambition for South African sides so win Super rugby again? Was it not the point for the Saru contracted players to stay in SA?

Honestly, it was probably more to do with the money being offered to Hougaard from Warriors that influenced that signing than anything else.

On the previous conversation, Ross Cronje is injured for four weeks, so I think you are safe with Faf.

This whole SARU contract and Hougaard thing is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

first the Bulls went into lengthy negotiations with SARU to organise a deal for Hougaard to play for the Bulls when the 7's Blitzbokke aren't playing. Eventually they came to an agreement (Just 2 weeks ago). Then there were reports that Hougaard could possibly play for the Bulls for 2 months after the Las Vegas 7's. And now this article.

It makes me wonder what the hell is going on at SARU, and if they are looking to get as much money as they can to pump it into the Kings for them to stay solvent.

On the previous conversation, Ross Cronje is injured for four weeks, so I think you are safe with Faf.

Not the ideal way to get surety on Faf but then again its not as if it was me that injured Cronje.

Nothing will surprise me regarding SARU at this stage. Hougaard is also an inconvenient guy to have around the Bulls camp seeing as he is white and the Bulls will probably be looking to field the black talent they do have at 9 and on the wings due to a lack of numbers in the forwards- only Trevor and Lizo if I'm counting right and both at loosehead unless they shift Trevor to 3.

Not the ideal way to get surety on Faf but then again its not as if it was me that injured Cronje.

Nothing will surprise me regarding SARU at this stage. Hougaard is also an inconvenient guy to have around the Bulls camp seeing as he is white and the Bulls will probably be looking to field the black talent they do have at 9 and on the wings due to a lack of numbers in the forwards- only Trevor and Lizo if I'm counting right and both at loosehead unless they shift Trevor to 3.

In the forwards we have the Ox at loosehead prop, Bandise Maku at hooker, Dayan van der Westhuizen at tighthead and Marvin Orie at Lock. Then we have Gelant and Stighling at fullback with our wingers and Paige as the "quotas". I'm sure we could've used Hougaard in some way. What if Paige gets injured?

Latest posts