• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Australia v South Africa (10/09/2016)

Any word on when the teams will be announced ... in addition to who will start in the 10 jersey for the boks, I'm interested to see the loose forward make up of the Wallabies, and who starts at 10, 12, and 13 for them. Also who replaces AAC for the Wallabies (I'd prefer Speight), and Combrinck for the Boks.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I'm Australian and a Wallabies fan but I feel the same way, we have been given a baptism of fire in the last 6 games. lost 3 to NZ and 3 to a vastly improved England.

Take any other team in the world and give them this draw - would they end up with the same result? likely YES

Hi AI.

What are your thoughts on the likely loose forward trio make up, and the back line?

Do you think they'll be many changes?

Interesting Shaggy, there's been a lot of criticism about playing Pocock and Hooper. I think there is some merit in that criticism but I'm not sure that's where our problem lies. I don't think we are doing too badly around the park and I think it's the man with 2 on his back that's the one struggling.

In saying that though, I would like to see Lopeti Timani make his debut. Against SA I wouldn't mind seeing 2 good lineout locks and the backrow of Fardy, Pocock and Timani

Backline - my opinion is Foley shouldn't be 12, he should have a rest. Also stick with Cooper at 10 - he cops a lot of flack but he really wasn't bad against NZ.

9. Genia 10. Cooper 11. Hodge 12. Kerevi 13. Kuridrani 14. Haylett-Petty 15. Folau

Hooper, Phipps and Foley on the bench... it'll never happen on Cheika's watch :)

Interesting Shaggy, there's been a lot of criticism about playing Pocock and Hooper. I think there is some merit in that criticism but I'm not sure that's where our problem lies. I don't think we are doing too badly around the park and I think it's the man with 2 on his back that's the one struggling.

In saying that though, I would like to see Lopeti Timani make his debut. Against SA I wouldn't mind seeing 2 good lineout locks and the backrow of Fardy, Pocock and Timani

Backline - my opinion is Foley shouldn't be 12, he should have a rest. Also stick with Cooper at 10 - he cops a lot of flack but he really wasn't bad against NZ.

9. Genia 10. Cooper 11. Hodge 12. Kerevi 13. Kuridrani 14. Haylett-Petty 15. Folau

Hooper, Phipps and Foley on the bench... it'll never happen on Cheika's watch :)

Yeah, if either Pocock or Hooper were legitimate lineout options, I'd go for them, but Timani is a good call. I'm not really a fan of Genia's at the moment either, and I think I would probably go with Stirzaker, if he was in the squad.

How's Cooper's goal kicking at the moment, and who's his back up (Haylett-Petty?) ... I wonder if Cheika would seriously consider Folau in the centres, and Haylett-Petty at fullback, and Speight in the 14 shirt?

... are, we can only wait I guess :)

Those are valid options. Cooper is a decent goalkicker, with Hodge as a long range option.

Stirzaker had a poor year returning from injury with the Rebels, he's a great option (showing my Rebels bias) but out of form at the minute.
I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a mix up, there are so many options though but Cheika can be stubborn at times. I would also like to see Folau at 13 but Cheika loves him at 15. he also loves a "playmaking 12"

So we could end up with 10. Cooper 11. Speight 12. Foley 13. Kerevei/Kuridrani 14. Haylett-Petty 15. Folau

in fact I think that's the way he'll go, maybe even Drew Mitchell ahead of Speight.

Also note Sefa Naivalu has been added to the squad but wont be eligible until the 18th September.

Those are valid options. Cooper is a decent goalkicker, with Hodge as a long range option.

Stirzaker had a poor year returning from injury with the Rebels, he's a great option (showing my Rebels bias) but out of form at the minute.
I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a mix up, there are so many options though but Cheika can be stubborn at times. I would also like to see Folau at 13 but Cheika loves him at 15. he also loves a "playmaking 12"

So we could end up with 10. Cooper 11. Speight 12. Foley 13. Kerevei/Kuridrani 14. Haylett-Petty 15. Folau

in fact I think that's the way he'll go, maybe even Drew Mitchell ahead of Speight.

Also note Sefa Naivalu has been added to the squad but wont be eligible until the 18th September.

Drew Mitchell has proven class, but he's a bit short of a gallop, isn't he? ... maybe he's a good bench option.

Naivalu should definitely add something when he becomes available

Any word on when the teams will be announced ... in addition to who will start in the 10 jersey for the boks, I'm interested to see the loose forward make up of the Wallabies, and who starts at 10, 12, and 13 for them. Also who replaces AAC for the Wallabies (I'd prefer Speight), and Combrinck for the Boks.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi AI.

What are your thoughts on the likely loose forward trio make up, and the back line?

Do you think they'll be many changes?

The Bok team will be announced tonight at 19:00 CAT.

The replacement for Combrink is either going to be Francois Hougaard, Lwazi Mvovo or Jesse Kriel - Depending on other changes in the backline. If Goosen stays at fullback, then I think it's going to be Hougaard or Kriel.

I know we aren't really in the position to talk about good goal kickers at the moment, but Cooper is not a good goal kicker, I would say its his biggest flaw as a flyhalf. His success rate in TRC is 54% and 61.85% in all tests.

The Bok team will be announced tonight at 19:00 CAT.

The replacement for Combrink is either going to be Francois Hougaard, Lwazi Mvovo or Jesse Kriel - Depending on other changes in the backline. If Goosen stays at fullback, then I think it's going to be Hougaard or Kriel.

All good options, but Combrinck has had a huge season, hasn't he ... it's a shame he got injured

All good options, but Combrinck has had a huge season, hasn't he ... it's a shame he got injured

He certainly has been one of the standout players for me. Combrink, Jaco Kriel, Faf De Klerk, Pieter-Steph Du Toit were all standout players for me who are in the Bok team. It's a pity that Rohan Janse van Rensburg and Jannes Kirsten isn't in the group as well, but their time will come.

From the news reports there seems to be a lot of changes coming to the bok team for the weekend.

One report said that we can expect Lourens Adriaanse to start at tighthead, to partner Beast and Strauss, while Juan De Jongh and Lionel Mapoe will be the centre pairing with Morne Steyn in at fly half and Mvovo on the wing.

The other report said than Kitshoff and Koch will start, with PSDT coming in for Lood De Jager, with the backline staying the same as the previous test apart from Kriel coming in for Combrink.

Then the other article said the Goosen will be the fly half with Kriel and Mvovo coming in.

So difficult to speculate what is correct at the moment.

One report said that we can expect Lourens Adriaanse to start at tighthead, to partner Beast and Strauss, while Juan De Jongh and Lionel Mapoe will be the centre pairing with Morne Steyn in at fly half and Mvovo on the wing.

Why on Earth would we start Adriaanse...

Why on Earth would we start Adriaanse...

I personally thing it's a good move, he's a solid tighthead prop that will soften up the Aussie props for the second half. Koch has been better when he comes in to add more fuel to the pack.

I personally thing it's a good move, he's a solid tighthead prop that will soften up the Aussie props for the second half. Koch has been better when he comes in to add more fuel to the pack.

But I feel that's more the fact that the Puma reserve props weren't up to the standard of their starters and the starters were well worn out by that point. Based on what has been said about Australia's scrum, I don't feel like we need to have someone soften them up for us, and I feel Koch does more around the field then Adriaanse.

But I feel that's more the fact that the Puma reserve props weren't up to the standard of their starters and the starters were well worn out by that point. Based on what has been said about Australia's scrum, I don't feel like we need to have someone soften them up for us, and I feel Koch does more around the field then Adriaanse.

I think we all feel that way. And I think AC knows that too, but perhaps that's the reason why AC wants to use him as an impact player. We have seen that AC isn't shy to bring on the reserve props around the 50 min mark

I think we all feel that way. And I think AC knows that too, but perhaps that's the reason why AC wants to use him as an impact player. We have seen that AC isn't shy to bring on the reserve props around the 50 min mark

Here's hoping for a half time sub if it does go down that path.

Hougaard is not a wing /facepalm
I strongly disagree.
All of the holes in his game are scrum half related holes.

As a wing he is a strong ball runner, has a great step, tackles very well and has a decent boot in a pinch.

A sub par kicking game and a slow pass are far less of an issue for him on the wing. I'd go far as to say he was the best wing in SR last year.

Last edited:

WALLABIES v BOKS possible duels:

15. Folau v Goosen - Fullbacks hardly ever get get to physically duel, but Folau would take this one with ball in hand and kicks out of hand.
14. v 11. Haylet-Petty v Mvovo - Oz +1 up on Boks again, thus Hougaard the better option tactically.
13. Kuridrani v Kriel - Tough battle this one. Kuridrani always puts in a big one against us, but we might see a resurgence in Kriel to stake back the Bok 13 jersey claim.
12. Foley v De Jongh - Bet on Juan to make his tackles and even gaining a few metres on his opponent, but Foley and Cooper might interchange a lot which makes this duel no contest except for stats.
11. v 14. Speight v Habana - Interesting one: Speight will try to impose his skills, pace & physicality and might make the mistake of under-estimating a past-his-prime Habana.
10. Cooper v Jantjies - a composed performance from Jantjies could be enough to outshine his opponent, however if Cooper gets one foot outside of him then that will be it for Jantjies.
9. Genia v De Klerk - Genia can't just expect this one to be business as usual. Expect the fox-terrier to come back with a MOTM performance.

8. Pocock v Whiteley - Pocock for groundwork, Whiteley for work-rate. Poacher could well earn a match-winning steal, Whiteley a match-winning try though.
7. Hooper v Mohoje - Both have incredible work-rate ethics, however Mohoje's tackling technique could let him down.
6. Fardy v Louw - Both seasoned professional's, but expect a massive performance from Louw this time round. Fardy will prob be subbed in 50th minute.
5. Coleman v De Jager - De Jager to steal a couple of line-outs and steer a few mauls forward.
4. Simmons v Etzebeth - Etzebeth to dominate proceedings wherever he find himself on the park.
3. v 1 Kepu v Mtawarira - Even contest at first, but Beast to crack and concede after a few resets (DAMMIT!).
2. Moore v Strauss - Result favors captain. Both under extreme pressure to perform & win.
1. v 3. Sio v Adriaanse - Sio to try and impose a bit of pressure, but Adriaanse to hold firm.

Latest posts