• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Australia v South Africa (10/09/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065414622115.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065418551640.png

Venue: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Time: 12:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Referee: Nigel Owens
23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

Assistan Referees: Wayne Barnes
23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png
& Pascal Gauzere
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

TMO: Ben Skeen
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

Teams

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Dane Haylett-Petty, 13 Samu Kerevi, 12 Bernard Foley, 11 Reece Hodge, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8 David Pocock, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Dean Mumm, 5 Adam Coleman, 4 Kane Douglas, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore (captain), 1 Scott Sio

Substitutes: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 James Slipper, 18 Allan Alaalatoa, 19 Rory Arnold, 20 Lopeti Timani, 21 Sean McMahon, 22 Nick Phipps, 23 Tevita Kuridrani, 24 Drew Mitchell

South Africa: 15 Johan Goosen, 14 Bryan Habana, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Juan de Jongh, 11 Francois Hougaard, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 21 Jaco Kriel, 22 Morne Steyn, 23 Lionel Mapoe

Last edited:
I'm not 100% certain who will win this one, or if the Australian coaching staff can afford to lose it.

I'd expect Mr Cheika to roll the dice, with regards to the forwards he selects ... I wouldn't be surprised if he changes the centre pairing again too

Its sad for me that we are worrying about 3rd spot and the likeliest outcome is we drop to 4th after the weekend when I think every South African's hope is (was?) that we are in a position to compete for #1. Not that WR's word rankings are anything but academic but it is indicative still.

I think our only hope is to keep it with the forwards, dictate pace and position. That or our centers come right out of nowhere because I don't see AC dropping either. I don't think we'll do either.

Its sad for me that we are worrying about 3rd spot and the likeliest outcome is we drop to 4th after the weekend when I think every South African's hope is (was?) that we are in a position to compete for #1. Not that WR's word rankings are anything but academic but it is indicative still.

I think our only hope is to keep it with the forwards, dictate pace and position. That or our centers come right out of nowhere because I don't see AC dropping either. I don't think we'll do either.

Yup, have to agree here.

I think we shouldn't expect miracles to happen in 2 week's time since our last outing.

It would be interesting to see whether AC sticks to his tried team, or whether he does a shake up.

If we start Kitshoff, Marx, PSDT, Jaco Kriel in the forwards and maybe have Goosen at fly half, we have a chance...

Yup, have to agree here.

I think we shouldn't expect miracles to happen in 2 week's time since our last outing.

It would be interesting to see whether AC sticks to his tried team, or whether he does a shake up.

If we start Kitshoff, Marx, PSDT, Jaco Kriel in the forwards and maybe have Goosen at fly half, we have a chance...

That already would make me hugely more positive, yeah. Its not as if those 4 forwards havn't consistently been better throughout the year and off the bench for the Bokke (not that Marx has had a chance) and as things have gone it seems anyone who can do the basics decently enough will go better than Jantjies.

That already would make me hugely more positive, yeah. Its not as if those 4 forwards havn't consistently been better throughout the year and off the bench for the Bokke (not that Marx has had a chance) and as things have gone it seems anyone who can do the basics decently enough will go better than Jantjies.

On Jantjies, I see that he has been training with the team, so the indication is there that he might start again, but would AC take that risk? If we lose this match AC's record will be Played: 6, Won: 3, Lost: 3. Which will mean he's at the dreaded 50% success mark, and that is never a place an international coach wants to be at, especially if your next match is against the All Blacks.

I don't know, we've been pretty woeful this year both in SR and internationally but too be fair Aus have been even worse. I reckon we have a decent chance at winning both games vs Aus.

After our previous match I will very surprised if we win this match.

I still think we are going to lose against AUS away and win them in SA.

On Jantjies, I see that he has been training with the team, so the indication is there that he might start again, but would AC take that risk? If we lose this match AC's record will be Played: 6, Won: 3, Lost: 3. Which will mean he's at the dreaded 50% success mark, and that is never a place an international coach wants to be at, especially if your next match is against the All Blacks.

You gotta be kidding me??
This is the Springboks, playing at home, against an Aussie team ravaged with injuries issues and with no form at all having lost the last 5 games on the trot.
Yes the Boks lost away to the Pumas but it was a VERY close game and the Boks could have kicked it.
The Aussie matches against the AB's have not been close.
The Bokke could really jump on Aussie here, especially at the scrum and the lineout and dictate play through increased possession.
The BOks are second in the table.
Argentina are unlikely to get a win this weekend in Hamilton so up against a Wallaby team that is bottom of the table with no points this is South Africas big chance to put daylight between themselves and the bottom two teams and follow the AB's up the board and make this a real contest.

Last edited:
Looking at the results lately, you would expect the home team to win each of these Aus vs SA games.

i honestly find the idea of goosen as some savior at fly-half just laughable

You gotta be kidding me??
This is the Springboks, playing at home, against an Aussie team ravaged with injuries issues and with no form at all having lost the last 5 games on the trot.
Yes the Boks lost away to the Pumas but it was a VERY close game and the Boks could have kicked it.
The Aussie matches against the AB's have not been close.
The Bokke could really jump on Aussie here, especially at the scrum and the lineout and dictate play through increased possession.
The BOks are second in the table.
Argentina are unlikely to get a win this weekend in Hamilton so up against a Wallaby team that is bottom of the table with no points this is South Africas big chance to put daylight between themselves and the bottom two teams and follow the AB's up the board and make this a real contest.

Erm, the Boks are playing away. At Brisbane where we don't have a very good record at all.

i honestly find the idea of goosen as some savior at fly-half just laughable

How so? He played his best rugby for the Springboks in the fly half position, and the last time he played at fly half for the Boks against Australia, he was the MOTM.

Don't see why it is something to laugh at...

I feel if South Africa revert to type and just dominate the set pieces they could grind out a win. Certainly at home is back then, and even away I'm leaning that way. I know there's been a lot of disappointment from Boks fans about SA's recent performances, but I think it's been overstated. Aus look a lot worse to me.

I feel if South Africa revert to type and just dominate the set pieces they could grind out a win. Certainly at home is back then, and even away I'm leaning that way. I know there's been a lot of disappointment from Boks fans about SA's recent performances, but I think it's been overstated. Aus look a lot worse to me.

Perhaps we are looking at it as a glass half empty. But that's just how we are. From past experiences with the Bokke and the Proteas (our cricket team) we have seen so many times how things can spiral out of control, if we go into a slump.

I do however think that we are stronger than the Aussies at the moment, and that our Scrum will be a very big weapon this weekend, I just hope that we fire in the areas where we have been lacking.

Erm, the Boks are playing away. At Brisbane where we don't have a very good record at all.

Humble apologies Heineken, I was under the impression you had Aussie back in the Republic.
Yes you are quite right that makes it a different kettle of fish altogether .
Home support still counts for a lot in rugby and this is your second game on the road.
It will be considerably tougher but I still have my money on the Boks to squeak it.

Perhaps we are looking at it as a glass half empty. But that's just how we are. From past experiences with the Bokke and the Proteas (our cricket team) we have seen so many times how things can spiral out of control, if we go into a slump.

I do however think that we are stronger than the Aussies at the moment, and that our Scrum will be a very big weapon this weekend, I just hope that we fire in the areas where we have been lacking.

Preaching to the converted mate, you don't need to tell an Englishman about bitter disappointment, either in rugby or cricket! One thing about sport though, it always surprises everyone how quickly it can turn around, in either direction. Did you see us in the World Cup?! The position we are in now was unthinkable less than a year ago.

On the game - I'd add the lineout will be another big weapon, probably bigger, the Aussie lineout has been very poor. If I was a coach looking for a way to beat Australia I'd kick for territory and put pressure on their lineout - which suits your traditional strengths, hence why I'm backing you. Not so sure it suits Jantjies's strengths though, is he likely to keep his place?

Preaching to the converted mate, you don't need to tell an Englishman about bitter disappointment, either in rugby or cricket! One thing about sport though, it always surprises everyone how quickly it can turn around, in either direction. Did you see us in the World Cup?! The position we are in now was unthinkable less than a year ago.

On the game - I'd add the lineout will be another big weapon, probably bigger, the Aussie lineout has been very poor. If I was a coach looking for a way to beat Australia I'd kick for territory and put pressure on their lineout - which suits your traditional strengths, hence why I'm backing you. Not so sure it suits Jantjies's strengths though, is he likely to keep his place?

This is where our problem lies. Faf isn't very good with tactical kicking from the base and Elton has struggled find the touch line on so many occasions, that if we don't kick it out, and chase properly, the Wallabies will just do a quick throw in and run back at us, to prevent the lineout battles.

And that is why I don't think Elton will keep his place. Recent news reports also suggests that Elton may be dropped and that it's going to be either Morne Steyn or Johan Goosen starting at 10. I think we'll know more as the week progresses.

This is where our problem lies. Faf isn't very good with tactical kicking from the base and Elton has struggled find the touch line on so many occasions, that if we don't kick it out, and chase properly, the Wallabies will just do a quick throw in and run back at us, to prevent the lineout battles.

And that is why I don't think Elton will keep his place. Recent news reports also suggests that Elton may be dropped and that it's going to be either Morne Steyn or Johan Goosen starting at 10. I think we'll know more as the week progresses.

Hougaard's fit? I hope they bench Faf for a game, just to bring him back to reality. Make Francois and Morne start as 9 and 10.

I quite like Faf from what I've seen, but now you mention it he's not really a kicking SH. Actually he and Jantjies feel like kind of an odd half back combo, can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's the kicking, not having one strong tactical kicker of the two is unusual, especially for the Boks

Hougaard's fit? I hope they bench Faf for a game, just to bring him back to reality. Make Francois and Morne start as 9 and 10.
Firstly i really like Hougaard. But why bench Faf he has been one of our more consistent performers and he plays the style that we want to achieve as a team. We used to play a very technical game ( which has been thoroughly discussed on here) And we used to win most of our matches like this, under HM we won a lot and the rugby was something to be proud of. It also favoured us at world cups as this is the rugby you should play in the knockout stages. But everyone recognized the need for us to evolve our style to be able to dominate again. We have started that process now and things are not looking good. Dont go falling back to the tried and trusted such as picking Morne again. Morne wont play in the next world cup. Lets rather have a few losses with young fly halves building towards the world cup than playing with old guys until they decide to leave us out in the cold with no succession plans in place.

Latest posts